Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Take Grab only and give up car?

views

unitron
post Sep 11 2019, 03:03 PM

W1(R)3d
2,297 posts

QUOTE(happyday119 @ Sep 10 2019, 03:36 PM)
I'm a 34 yrs old male, single. Living in PJ.

Thinking to give up driving and sell current car(or get an Axia if later date need one car)

And take Grab, LRT, etc for all transportation needs.

What do you think?
I once had a car in the workshop for almost 2 months.. so had to depend on public transport.
Using public transport was way more expensive than driving, plus not convenient at all.
kluseng
post Sep 11 2019, 04:35 PM

39 posts

QUOTE(incubus69 @ Sep 11 2019, 02:53 PM)
didn't the LRT is still under construction ? how do u manage to travel with it. do u mean KTM ??
I think he probably drove from Klang to Subang Jaya KTM/LRT station and park there. Another way is to drive and park at Klang KTM and take Komuter to SJ. From my experience the travel time by driving between Klang and SJ is almost the same as KTM if there is no jam. But you still need to wait for the train.

This post has been edited by kluseng: Sep 11 2019, 04:37 PM
goliath
post Sep 11 2019, 09:29 PM

5,386 posts

I am currently on this routine for a couple of months.

It is feasible if...
1) the public transport, be it bus or LRT/ MRT is near to where you are staying and working AND
2) you don't really (or rarely) go out after working hours or weekend.

Else, owning a car is still a better option.
selinix
post Sep 12 2019, 01:58 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,777 posts

QUOTE(amad108 @ Sep 10 2019, 11:35 PM)
i have one uncle that give up driving and currently only using public transport Grab etc.. he's quite happy coz
- no headache about car maintenance
- no need to think where to park
- no monthly installment
- no need to fill up fuel every week or everyday
with so many e-hailing services, he quite happy for what's his having now.. he married and in 1-2 months will get a baby.. so far no issue with daily commute to work and the cost having a car and using only public transport and e-hailing is similar but less troublesome..
With a baby coming, will he still find it easier without a car and only travel by public transport?

No baby seat for safety and all etc..
hyrano
post Sep 12 2019, 05:54 PM

23 posts

QUOTE(selinix @ Sep 12 2019, 01:58 PM)
With a baby coming, will he still find it easier without a car and only travel by public transport?

No baby seat for safety and all etc..
Imagine if baby emergency fever middle of the night, need to go clinic but grab takes 15mins to reach your house. Call ambulance bah.

Car really is for convenience. You may not need it most of the time, but when you really need it then you'll be quite happy you have one.

It's the problem with msia really. Our road infrastructure and city layout is not made for a good network of public transport. You have to live nearby a public transport hub to be worth it, otherwise better get a car.

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0287sec    0.90    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 21st September 2019 - 12:49 AM