Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Take Grab only and give up car?

views

TShappyday119
post Sep 10 2019, 03:36 PM, updated 2w ago

Casual
312 posts

I'm a 34 yrs old male, single. Living in PJ.

Thinking to give up driving and sell current car(or get an Axia if later date need one car)

And take Grab, LRT, etc for all transportation needs.

What do you think?
zeng
post Sep 10 2019, 03:42 PM

Enthusiast
862 posts

If your daily commute to work is being 'solved' by LRT and Grab, why not ?

Edit: ...more so when driving is a 'task' ...

This post has been edited by zeng: Sep 10 2019, 03:45 PM
woodentiger86
post Sep 10 2019, 03:45 PM

Getting Started
200 posts

Some factors to consider before advice/suggestions can be given:

1. Work location?
2. Currently seeing anyone? Dating?
3. etc.

Not an easy choice to forgo convenience of owning your own car and starting to rely on public transport/Grab.
MeToo
post Sep 10 2019, 03:56 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,200 posts

For work make sense to use grab
better if u can enter into longterm with grab driver, end up cheaper.

BUT.

For dating, u gonna have a problem,
19 Degree South
post Sep 10 2019, 03:57 PM

Casual
357 posts

I won't drive if I live in hk, SG or Japan. Their public transport system are so comprehensive! In my? Can hardly see any public buses in those Taman nowadays Liao.
jhjk
post Sep 10 2019, 04:18 PM

27 posts

QUOTE(MeToo @ Sep 10 2019, 03:56 PM)
For work make sense to use grab
better if u can enter into longterm with grab driver, end up cheaper.

BUT.

For dating, u gonna have a problem,
Date with someone who already have car. If the lady don't mind then ok.
trapezohedron13
post Sep 10 2019, 05:03 PM

On my way
500 posts

QUOTE(happyday119 @ Sep 10 2019, 03:36 PM)

Thinking to give up driving and sell current car(or get an Axia if later date need one car)

What do you think?
What's your current car? Still on loan? Heavy maintenance?

If public transport and Grab cost per month is cheaper than your loan/car maintenance then it makes sense. Also depends on your work - do you need to be presentable to clients, etc

When you start dating, be ready with upfront cash to get a brand new car to impress.

biggrin.gif
jaycee1
post Sep 10 2019, 05:10 PM

AFK
2,010 posts

A car is a sunk cost. If you already have one, getting rid of it won't save you any money.

On the flip side, if you are like many that over extended yourself by buying a car too expensive than you can afford then that unfortunately is your own undoing.

Try using public transportation for a month or so and see if you can live with that. If you can, get rid of the car. Bear in mind, grab isn't cheap now. If I were to ditch my car and take grab, it would cost me 60 per day. I don't have convenient access to LRT/MRT. My car is a sunk cost. Bought a good deal for cash so no loan, no commitment.

I would love to take public transportation to work and back. But sadly, it is not an option for me

This post has been edited by jaycee1: Sep 10 2019, 05:13 PM
System Error Message
post Sep 10 2019, 05:21 PM

Regular
1,288 posts

not having a car is worse even if you have the opportunity for grab + public transport. Public transport in malaysia is tiring and takes long.

There will be trips you will need to make that will require a car, so an axia or even a cheap old used car will do.
darkskies
post Sep 10 2019, 05:40 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,122 posts

I've switched to LRT traveling from Klang to KL for work daily. Unless it requires me to move some equipments by my company. Most of the time i use grab for transportation if i visit my client's place which are mainly office situated near LRT.
I've not sold off my car since it's really inconvenient to be without one during emergency.
Mind you, from klang to kl took a whopping 1hrs plus ride on the lrt.And these lrt are really packed. Pple tried to squeeze themselves in even though there's barely any spot could fit them in. I've seen a living marshmallow size grown fella tried to jam himself into a lrt train entrance that's already full. I'll alight at the lrt last station and switch back to my car to drive home. It took me another whopping 1hrs due to Jam. So in total, it cost me 2hrs to reach home where driving between klang and kl was only an hour.
chicargo
post Sep 10 2019, 09:22 PM

Casual
300 posts

I was considering this, factors that came into play were

1. Time taken in normal day traffic if drive
2. Time taken if leave earlier/later to avoid jam
3. Time taken by Grab + public transport
4. If I need to go to same workplace everyday or need to go other places occasionally
5. How to get around on weekends

I believe in Klang Valley if one does not live below a train station, a hybrid strategy of owning a car/Grab + taking public transport works best, give you the flexibility of both modes of transport
kwk_1995
post Sep 10 2019, 09:53 PM

21 posts

In the end it is just an exchange of time and money depending whether you want to stuck inside your car or grab or squeeze yourself inside public transport.
mar72
post Sep 10 2019, 10:33 PM

Getting Started
54 posts

Rent a home nearby your office. You’ll be thankful how convenient it is. Easy grab, easy LRT. You’ll have much time to gym, sleep. No stress
IamAHuman
post Sep 10 2019, 11:12 PM

Getting Started
113 posts

I have a nice comfortable plush car BUT from time to time I still take the LRT. Reason is simple. It’s super convenient and it’s 99% less stressful than driving with all the d@mn idiots on the road!!! mad.gif
amad108
post Sep 10 2019, 11:35 PM

remember the name
871 posts

What do you think?
i have one uncle that give up driving and currently only using public transport Grab etc.. he's quite happy coz
- no headache about car maintenance
- no need to think where to park
- no monthly installment
- no need to fill up fuel every week or everyday
with so many e-hailing services, he quite happy for what's his having now.. he married and in 1-2 months will get a baby.. so far no issue with daily commute to work and the cost having a car and using only public transport and e-hailing is similar but less troublesome..
SKYjack
post Sep 11 2019, 01:00 PM

Getting Started
153 posts

I own 3 cars. When I need to go into KL city, prefer Grab/LRT.

KL traffic is simply mad!!! When it rains, jams are a nightmare!

Anyone wanting to rid their car for Grab/Lrt.....I'd say wise choice buddy!

hyrano
post Sep 11 2019, 01:09 PM

23 posts

QUOTE(amad108 @ Sep 10 2019, 11:35 PM)
i have one uncle that give up driving and currently only using public transport Grab etc.. he's quite happy coz
- no headache about car maintenance
- no need to think where to park
- no monthly installment
- no need to fill up fuel every week or everyday
with so many e-hailing services, he quite happy for what's his having now.. he married and in 1-2 months will get a baby.. so far no issue with daily commute to work and the cost having a car and using only public transport and e-hailing is similar but less troublesome..
Yeah it just depends on people really. I can't live without my own mode of transportation:

- public bus in KL is not reliable
- LRT/MRT jam packed during rush hours. Otherwise is pretty OK.
- Have my own parking spot at home
- Convenience of driving around easily
- I enjoy driving
- There's no place which is difficult to park. Either pay extra rm1-5 for carparks or walk further. Don't have to double park in front of people. WTF we got legs why still need double park, just walk 2 blocks la.

Basically just boils down to convenience. I can go anywhere anytime I want, in my own comfort of my own car, which is mine.
It comes with a premium, and see if you want to pay for it.

Your other alternative is car rental services. Like SoCar. Those are also OK for consideration.

fahmietalife
post Sep 11 2019, 02:44 PM

23 posts

I just hate driving to KL downtown. it's pretty stupid to spend 2 hours in traffic jam. I can understand if you have to drive your kids to nursery and then drive yourself to work, but for all those young single mofo you should learn to use public transport to go to work like civilized people!

Go Bukit Bintang also you want to drive ah, so stupid just take the bloody train!

Mr.RW
post Sep 11 2019, 02:46 PM

42 posts

What do you think?
Future your love one ask you go road trip, so how?
incubus69
post Sep 11 2019, 02:53 PM

Getting Started
52 posts

QUOTE(darkskies @ Sep 10 2019, 05:40 PM)
I've switched to LRT traveling from Klang to KL for work daily. Unless it requires me to move some equipments by my company. Most of the time i use grab for transportation if i visit my client's place which are mainly office situated near LRT.
I've not sold off my car since it's really inconvenient to be without one during emergency.
Mind you, from klang to kl took a whopping 1hrs plus ride on the lrt.And these lrt are really packed. Pple tried to squeeze themselves in even though there's barely any spot could fit them in. I've seen a living marshmallow size grown fella tried to jam himself into a lrt train entrance that's already full. I'll alight at the lrt last station and switch back to my car to drive home. It took me another whopping 1hrs due to Jam. So in total, it cost me 2hrs to reach home where driving between klang and kl was only an hour.
didn't the LRT is still under construction ? how do u manage to travel with it. do u mean KTM ??

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0356sec    0.90    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 21st September 2019 - 12:38 AM