Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

is Illegear Onyx worth the deal?

views

TSPharamain
post Sep 5 2019, 11:29 AM, updated 5y ago

Getting Started
195 posts

Went to IT Expo at Midvalley last week and saw Illegear demo their Onyx unit which caught my attention of the price and spec. But I rarely saw Illegear's laptop reviews and user reviews, Though I manage to try it out and it feels great with the brown mechanical keyboard and it is lightweight.

So I wish to ask every experience user around here, is the Onyx which is much cheaper than other brands model that also come with the same build and spec, price at RM6,299 (RTX2060) worth the deal?

saw some media article about the model, but hope to get more info; Onyx by Racun Tech
SystemXM
post Sep 5 2019, 11:42 AM

10 posts

Heres the deal, their customer service are top notch.

But my Illegear Onyx with i7 9750h and rtx2060 is getting hot temperature like mad.
Temperature in the high 90c for processor when on load and gpu temp in high 70c in dota ( FPS is below 100 too, but i think its because I forgot to use the Vulcan API).

It is great for thin and light laptop, but not a constant performance type of laptop. Short burst is fine.

Area that is Hot -

Keyboard, Top of the touchpad and the space between touchpad and keyboard is the most hot place I think.

Uncomfortable for long period of use unless you have a powerful cooling pad and using external keyboard.

But I suggest go for the Selenite a 17.3inch laptop with a 15.6 inch size.
leekaisuen69
post Sep 5 2019, 11:43 AM

Getting Started
123 posts

QUOTE(SystemXM @ Sep 5 2019, 11:42 AM)

But my Illegear Onyx with i7 9750h and rtx2060 is getting hot temperature like mad.
Temperature in the high 90c for processor when on load and gpu temp in high 70c in dota ( FPS is below 100 too, but i think its because I forgot to use the Vulcan API).

It is great for thin and light laptop, but not a constant performance type of laptop. Short burst is fine.

Area that is Hot -

Keyboard, Top of the touchpad and the space between touchpad and keyboard is the most hot place I think.
Uncomfortable for long period of use unless you have a powerful cooling pad and using external keyboard.
laptop for gaming are all hot. 90c is pretty good i think... ive tried rog and msi with 2060 all 90+c. but ur fps very low considering using rtx2060
SystemXM
post Sep 5 2019, 11:50 AM

10 posts

Yeah, my previous laptop get almost the same but the place where it get hot is further back from the laptop. So you doesnt feel the uncomfortable heat when using the keyboard ,but that maybe due to its Thiccness.

One thing that is realy getting me is because the keyboard and touchpad getting so hot that i fear the lifespan of the laptop.

I guess thats the shortcoming of getting thin and light laptop. Sacrificing performance for portability.

This post has been edited by SystemXM: Sep 5 2019, 11:51 AM
TSPharamain
post Sep 5 2019, 12:36 PM

Getting Started
195 posts

Area that is Hot -

Thank you for letting me know. hmm 90 degree is still acceptable for gaming or under load, Maybe i only tested it awhile during IT EXPO so i didnt feel it at all.

Right now i also reading through this person's review about it Illegear Onyx Review , base on him the Onyx cooling is good enough. Nevertheless, thanks for letting me know and i will go their shop and try it out since i live nearby
huislaw
post Sep 5 2019, 01:05 PM

Regular
1,343 posts

Area that is Hot -

Experienced their customer service personally with my 3 years old Z5. Really top notch thumbup.gif
TSPharamain
post Sep 5 2019, 02:35 PM

Getting Started
195 posts

QUOTE(huislaw @ Sep 5 2019, 01:05 PM)
Experienced their customer service personally with my 3 years old Z5. Really top notch  thumbup.gif
I heard a lot regarding the CS, guess i can tell my friend to give it a try.
Mrsaitama
post Sep 5 2019, 05:30 PM

Casual
352 posts

at that price, u better of with acer predator helios 300 2019 series/ asus rog strix II/lenovo 7000SE max spec at only rm5200 in garage sales.

TSPharamain
post Sep 11 2019, 03:53 PM

Getting Started
195 posts

QUOTE(Mrsaitama @ Sep 5 2019, 05:30 PM)
at that price, u better of with acer predator helios 300 2019 series/ asus rog strix II/lenovo 7000SE max spec at only rm5200 in garage sales.
Sometimes i abit hard to trust when a product is too cheap.
Mrsaitama
post Sep 11 2019, 07:06 PM

Casual
352 posts

QUOTE(Pharamain @ Sep 11 2019, 03:53 PM)
Sometimes i abit hard to trust when a product is too cheap.
If its cheap then go buy from the web. Max the spec and compare the price. Its cheap because got discount code last time.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0124sec    0.41    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:57 PM