Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Hong Kong Exchange & HK Stocks, Per title post-Extradition Bill W/drawal

views

moosset
post Jan 17 2020, 05:27 AM

Regular
1,917 posts

QUOTE(TOS @ Jan 16 2020, 09:36 PM)
Their portfolio tends to be more resilient during though times as they mainly service public housing community. And they show good move in diversifying their portfolio into developed markets like Australia (with the purchase of 100 Market Street) recently.

I am aware of Fortune REIT but didn't have much holdings in it. Link is more established than Fortune and has been a favourite stock for dividend-hungry investors for years. I love its low gearing in particular, probably the lowest among all high quality REITs in SG and HK.

That said, Link has a very bad reputation in treating the underprivileged tenants in the past. A very immoral company. Too bad I have too little shares to voice out for them...

So, you prefer Fortune over Link? Why?
yes, I agree. Link is better for long term, especially when you consider the price appreciation about 15% CAGR over the past 9 years vs Fortune, only about 9%.

I hold Fortune simply because I had HKD which I got it ready to buy AliBaba but in the end, I bought the one in NYSE. Since I already got HKD, I thought of buying a stock which I can hold for short to medium term instead of converting my HKD back to another currency. This is only temporary as I try to figure out which other US/EU stocks to invest. I chose Fortune over LINK in the end due to the higher dividend yield. Both are great with increasing DPU. If I were to hold long term, LINK would definitely be better. It's not bad to buy now (since I try not to time the market), but around 80HKD would be optimal.
TOS
post Jan 17 2020, 02:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,882 posts

Link REIT up another 1% today! Shanghai and Hang Seng index a little red.
moosset
post Jan 22 2020, 09:18 PM

Regular
1,917 posts

QUOTE(TOS @ Jan 17 2020, 02:04 PM)
thanks to wuhan virus, I think it may go under 80 HKD.
shinchan326
post Jan 22 2020, 10:43 PM

Getting Started
247 posts

hi, which broker is cheap and good to buy foreign shares?
markedestiny
post Jan 23 2020, 03:10 PM

Enthusiast
703 posts

HSI is very red not just due to the usual pre-CNY sell off (most dont like to keep stocks for the long holidays ahead) but also the mounting spread of coronavirus which China thinks it could put it under control but is struggling to contain. Wuhan is now under lockdown, no entry and exit blink.gif

Glove manufacturers especially Topglove which was mentioned in bloomberg news as the largest manufacturer stands to gain as the virus has begins to spread beyond China. Guess some funds will flow back to KLSE for these counters..

moosset
post Jan 23 2020, 05:00 PM

Regular
1,917 posts

QUOTE(markedestiny @ Jan 23 2020, 03:10 PM)
HSI is very red not just due to the usual pre-CNY sell off (most dont like to keep stocks for the long holidays ahead) but also the mounting spread of  coronavirus which China thinks it could put it under control but is struggling to contain. Wuhan is now under lockdown, no entry and exit  blink.gif

Glove manufacturers especially  Topglove which was mentioned in bloomberg news as the largest manufacturer stands to gain as the virus has begins to  spread beyond China.  Guess some funds will flow back to KLSE for these counters..
Will TopGlov listed in SGX also benefit?
markedestiny
post Jan 23 2020, 05:23 PM

Enthusiast
703 posts

QUOTE(moosset @ Jan 23 2020, 05:00 PM)
Will TopGlov listed in SGX also benefit?
I would think so if you check its stock price movement for the past few days...anyway, why buy sgd when you can buy here. I never thought of Q'ing for glove counters but given the current situation, i believe the issue could take some time to address and the demand for gloves would increase as the virus start to spread wide.

The Chinese market actually was red on Monday due to the virus and then turned green the next day after Xi declared more serious measures would be taken to contain the outbreak. Today as you know it's red again as per my post above as they may underestimate the extent of the contagion outbreak. My HK holdings dropped about 5% and may drop further if not address quickly but it is even worse for leisure, transport, holidays related stocks...

Don't think it's buying opportunities for Chinese stocks now as this is just the beginning of outbreak to other countries and also given the long holiday break, so will continue to monitor...

This post has been edited by markedestiny: Jan 23 2020, 05:25 PM
markedestiny
post Jan 28 2020, 04:36 PM

Enthusiast
703 posts

As expected, my US based ADR Chinese/HK stocks dipped about 10% when the US market opened yesterday.

I'd expect my HKEX stocks to take a beating tomorrow when HKEX opens for trading as selling pressure continues as every market worldwide seems to risk-off fleeing to safer havens.

Coronavirus is really a black swan event, I do not think it's the right time to buy the dip...as China has finally admitted that the virus is 'out of control' despite the extraordinary measures taken i.e. lockdown from one city to more than 15 cities with maybe more to come; and death has raced past 100 mark.

Wuhan Mayor informed that 5 Million residents have left Wuhan before the lockdown and with the virus spreading from human-to-human without any symptoms, I guess we can expect domino effects in the coming days ahead unless vaccine is found or developed. Even WHO has admitted it was a 'mistake' in assessing the risk of virus, upgrading from moderate to high doh.gif

On the other hand, two local gloves stocks which I have purchased have increase more than 10% & 20% respectively, that my consolation for now, otherwise all my current holdings are in the red.

I'd expect gloves and masks manufacturers stocks to increase further with the outbreak...google Kawamoto stock % increase which produce surgical masks

I think it is more straight forward to buy disposal medical stocks(gloves/masks/etc) compared to pharma stocks as there is current no known vaccine yet. I observed that some of the Chinese pharma stocks rallied initially and then pulled back sharply when it was made known that there is no known vaccine yet. Anyway there will always be momo crowd who will ride on the biotech/pharm stocks...

moosset
post Jan 29 2020, 10:31 AM

Regular
1,917 posts

less than 80hkd now. It's time!
TOS
post Jan 29 2020, 02:38 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,882 posts

QUOTE(moosset @ Jan 29 2020, 10:31 AM)
less than 80hkd now. It's time!
Who knows if it can dip below 75 HKD? tongue.gif

Everyone is afraid of virus. Nonsense. Viruses are everywhere. It's not like people don't need to eat or drink when SARS hit in 2003. Markets are too efficient at digesting information! It seems.
moosset
post Jan 29 2020, 05:10 PM

Regular
1,917 posts

QUOTE(TOS @ Jan 29 2020, 02:38 PM)
Who knows if it can dip below 75 HKD?  tongue.gif

Everyone is afraid of virus. Nonsense. Viruses are everywhere. It's not like people don't need to eat or drink when SARS hit in 2003. Markets are too efficient at digesting information! It seems.
I thought you wanted to buy earlier? now you want to wait? laugh.gif
TOS
post Jan 29 2020, 08:07 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,882 posts

QUOTE(moosset @ Jan 29 2020, 05:10 PM)
I thought you wanted to buy earlier? now you want to wait?  laugh.gif
As said earlier, I am currently purchasing through mutual funds, which as some members claimed, are expensive.

No plan to open a brokerage account yet, as I am too poor to even pay for the deposit for opening an IBKR whitelabel account.

if I were to purchase through Manulife AP REIT, I need to wait for BOTH HK and S-REITS to go red, then only before 3pm on that day, I will purchase the units. That's what I did for the past few months.

For me personally, I will go long on S-REITs as Singapore is politically stable and most S-REITs are now in active acquisition (most of which are DPU accretive) in the midst of low interest rate. I would expect the benefits to be reaped in the future, so AP REIT quite suits my taste.

That said, HK-REITs like Link REIT should be pretty resilient in time to come though the risk of privatization is high (if they keep squeezing money out of the underprivileged public housing community). Yuexiu REIT has quite a number of properties in mainland China, which would add to some growth aspects if included in one's portfolio.

This post has been edited by TOS: Jan 29 2020, 08:12 PM
TSHansel
post Jan 30 2020, 12:19 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,950 posts

Bros,... don't know if my observation is accurate or not.... but I noticed plans for further protestor activities in HK are diminishing due to the virus care.

Perhaps I've not been reading enough materials,...

Perhaps one good thing that will turn out from this virus event is stopping the protestor movement.

TSHansel
post Jan 30 2020, 12:25 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,950 posts

QUOTE(TOS @ Jan 29 2020, 08:07 PM)
if I were to purchase through Manulife AP REIT, I need to wait for BOTH HK and S-REITS to go red, then only before 3pm on that day, I will purchase the units. That's what I did for the past few months.

For me personally, I will go long on S-REITs as Singapore is politically stable and most S-REITs are now in active acquisition (most of which are DPU accretive) in the midst of low interest rate. I would expect the benefits to be reaped in the future, so AP REIT quite suits my taste.

That said, HK-REITs like Link REIT should be pretty resilient in time to come though the risk of privatization is high (if they keep squeezing money out of the underprivileged public housing community). Yuexiu REIT has quite a number of properties in mainland China, which would add to some growth aspects if included in one's portfolio.
Wahh, bro,.. to your first paragraph in the above,.. you need to 'jaga' everyday,... but I respected your initiative in wanting to invest. thumbsup.gif

To yr second paragraph, yeah,... I am of the same opinion. I can't bring myself to investing into HK REITs because of :-
1) all payout only twice per year.
2) yields are not so good compared to SG REITs, especially the popular Link REIT.
3) forex risks when I wished to take back my funds in SGD.
TOS
post Jan 30 2020, 04:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,882 posts

QUOTE(Hansel @ Jan 30 2020, 12:25 PM)
Wahh, bro,.. to your first paragraph in the above,.. you need to 'jaga' everyday,... but I respected your initiative in wanting to invest.  thumbsup.gif

To yr second paragraph, yeah,... I am of the same opinion. I can't bring myself to investing into HK REITs because of :-
2) yields are not so good compared to SG REITs, especially the popular Link REIT.
Haha. Thanks. Mostly checking the monthly fund reports to make sure the manager's investment outlook is the same as mine.

Link REIT is more of a growth stock to me, as most of its ROE comes from increase in share price, aka capital gains and not dividend. The dividend yield is just a mediocre 3%.

Most local HK investors (excluding the traders) go for HSBC for its yield. Others aim for rental shares like Wharf, Swire Properties and SHK. Or pick utilities stocks like towngas, CLP etc. These blue chips are the to-go for most HK investors, especially those dividend chasers.

For me though, I am positive that the HK-REIT managers will slowly diversify their portfolio in time to come after they learnt their lessons. Link is aiming for at least 10-15% in developed markets, for example. Their recent 100 Market Street acquisition in Australia marks a milestone.

Agreed on the forex part. Need to check SGD against USD (since HKD pegged to USD)

This post has been edited by TOS: Jan 30 2020, 04:26 PM
markedestiny
post Jan 30 2020, 04:29 PM

Enthusiast
703 posts

QUOTE(Hansel @ Jan 30 2020, 12:25 PM)
Wahh, bro,.. to your first paragraph in the above,.. you need to 'jaga' everyday,... but I respected your initiative in wanting to invest.  :thumbsup:

Don't buy reits in HK, so many value and growth stocks to choose later.. Now alot of HK stocks on sales with the HSI dropping 711pts to below 26k5.
TSHansel
post Jan 30 2020, 05:32 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,950 posts

QUOTE(TOS @ Jan 30 2020, 04:26 PM)
Their recent 100 Market Street acquisition in Australia marks a milestone.

Agreed on the forex part. Need to check SGD against USD (since HKD pegged to USD)
QUOTE(markedestiny @ Jan 30 2020, 04:29 PM)
Don't buy reits in HK, so many value and growth stocks to choose later.. Now alot of HK stocks on sales with the HSI dropping 711pts to below 26k5.
Isn't Link REIT's recent acquisition of 100 Market St in SG instead of in Aust ? Thought I read it was in SG,... but I was reading very quickly, tho',...

During the recent protests, the HKD dipped to as low as 7.85 vs the USD. This dip has caused the HKD to weaken badly vs the SGD. Till today, I have not recovered my investment value in SGD from my test-buys of HSBC in the HKeX. sad.gif

Tq bro MD,...
moosset
post Jan 30 2020, 10:09 PM

Regular
1,917 posts

QUOTE(markedestiny @ Jan 30 2020, 04:29 PM)
later? when??
markedestiny
post Jan 30 2020, 11:42 PM

Enthusiast
703 posts

QUOTE(moosset @ Jan 30 2020, 10:09 PM)
later? when??
When the market gives out indications AND confirmations of trend reversal from TA point of view biggrin.gif
Cubalagi
post Jan 31 2020, 01:24 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,788 posts

Good China PMI numbers.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/31/china-econo...or-january.html

Hk market should be rallying now if not for the virus.

73 Pages « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0162sec    0.14    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:35 AM