Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Reimage issue

views

TSzenman
post Sep 3 2019, 11:33 AM, updated 4y ago

Casual
348 posts

So, I had this third party software glitch on my 4 year old W7 Pro (x64), Thinkpad T440P and decided after many failed attempts to rectify the issue, to uninstall the software and remove all remnants of it and then to reimage the system.

I have done this once or twice before successfully, via BIOS (F12 - boot device selector) - with System Repair Disk stored in a bootable USB stick and the SystemImageBackup on a reliable external HDD plugged in.

But this time, when I attempted to reimage the system from within Windows (via Advanced Recovery Methods), the SystemImageBackup folder on the HDD wasn't visible to Windows (the image is visible in Windows Explorer, though). Tried this a few times and it still didn't work.

I turned off the notebook and tried again via BIOS this time and this time the bootable USB stick with System Repair Disk on it didn't show in the list of boot devices. I even formatted the stick and reinstalled the System Repair Disk software on it a second time but with no success.

Edit: I also tried using System Repair Disk on dvd via BIOS. It booted fine but the SystemImageBackup on HDD couldn't be detected.

I'm not looking forward to doing a clean install all over again. Hope someone can tell me what went wrong or if I made a mistake somewhere.

Thanks.

This post has been edited by zenman: Sep 3 2019, 11:52 AM
dcheah
post Jul 23 2020, 11:18 AM

OldSkool
1,233 posts

QUOTE(zenman @ Sep 3 2019, 11:33 AM)
So, I had this third party software glitch on my 4 year old W7 Pro (x64), Thinkpad T440P and decided after many failed attempts to rectify the issue, to uninstall the software and remove all remnants of it and then to reimage the system.

I have done this once or twice before successfully, via BIOS (F12 - boot device selector) - with System Repair Disk stored in a bootable USB stick and the SystemImageBackup on a reliable external HDD plugged in.

But this time, when I attempted to reimage the system from within Windows (via Advanced Recovery Methods), the SystemImageBackup folder on the HDD wasn't visible to Windows (the image is visible in Windows Explorer, though). Tried this a few times and it still didn't work.

I turned off the notebook and tried again via BIOS this time and this time the bootable USB stick with System Repair Disk on it didn't show in the list of boot devices. I even formatted the stick and reinstalled the System Repair Disk software on it a second time but with no success.

Edit: I also tried using System Repair Disk on dvd via BIOS. It booted fine but the SystemImageBackup on HDD couldn't be detected.

I'm not looking forward to doing a clean install all over again. Hope someone can tell me what went wrong or if I made a mistake somewhere.

Thanks.
Your steps is all correct, you done nothing wrong.

Its more likely the partition that you described was corrupted. A clean install will do the job.

TSzenman
post Jul 25 2020, 09:54 AM

Casual
348 posts

QUOTE(dcheah @ Jul 23 2020, 11:18 AM)
Your steps is all correct, you done nothing wrong.

Its more likely the partition that you described was corrupted. A clean install will do the job.
Thank you for the confirmation. Guess you're right about the corrupted partition.

Other issues have cropped up since then. High time for a clean install.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0107sec    0.17    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:13 AM