Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Seeking electrical lighting advice

views

TSKuzumiTaiga
post Aug 31 2019, 02:31 AM, updated 5 months ago

Spends too much time with mechanical keyboards
3,082 posts

Hi, would like to seek for opinion from any electrician with experience here.

I am in the midst of arranging to renovate my house (three phase wiring terrace if it matters)

living room has 4 lighting points total, one switch = two points. total 2 light switches.

I engaged with a general contractor, I wanted to make total 8 lighting points for 8 surface lights instead of the original 4. Means 1 switch = 4 points. He said cannot for this type of LED light because will cause tripping, but the lighting shop people tell me it doesn't matter how many lights I put since they're all LEDs they don't draw much power anyway. He said must create new lighting switch from the distribution box.

1 LED surface light = 36W

Can anyone please advice me if contractor is right or lighting shop ah? icon_question.gif thanks!

On the box:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

This post has been edited by KuzumiTaiga: Aug 31 2019, 02:33 AM
chikanosz
post Aug 31 2019, 04:50 AM

10 posts

Hi, I'm not an electrician but know some basic.

You need to check 2 things:

1. MCB (in db box)
Check the ampere rating of connected mcb in your db box and compare it to your total load of the mcb. Normal home lighting/fan mcb use 6A mcb (refer suruhanjaya tenaga guideline). If the total load does not exceed 6A, the mcb won't trip. The shop is correct, led use small current. Your 36W led light only use 0.15A. If all 8 lights is connected to the same mcb, the total is only 1.2A, still way below 6A.

2. The wires
If following the guideline, the wiring for home lighting should use 1.5mm2 wires. This should at least support 15A. If much smaller wires are used, it's dangerous as it can become very hot and can cause fire.

If the above criteria are met but the wireman still recommend to add new wiring to db box, ask for his reason.
sonerin
post Aug 31 2019, 06:30 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,203 posts

It won’t cause tripping even if you put 8 lights to 1 switch. Is so low power
TSKuzumiTaiga
post Aug 31 2019, 10:49 AM

Spends too much time with mechanical keyboards
3,082 posts

QUOTE(chikanosz @ Aug 31 2019, 04:50 AM)
Hi, I'm not an electrician but know some basic.

You need to check 2 things:

1. MCB (in db box)
Check the ampere rating of connected mcb in your db box and compare it to your total load of the mcb. Normal home lighting/fan mcb use 6A mcb (refer suruhanjaya tenaga guideline). If the total load does not exceed 6A, the mcb won't trip. The shop is correct, led use small current. Your 36W led light only use 0.15A. If all 8 lights is connected to the same mcb, the total is only 1.2A, still way below 6A.

2. The wires
If following the guideline, the wiring for home lighting should use 1.5mm2 wires. This should at least support 15A. If much smaller wires are used, it's dangerous as it can become very hot and can cause fire.

If the above criteria are met but the wireman still recommend to add new wiring to db box, ask for his reason.
HI, checked the db, it says 10A, wires look thick too. In your opinion do you think this is fine? Thank you so much for your input
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Richard
post Sep 1 2019, 12:17 AM

Regular
1,052 posts

Your wiring shop correct.

8x30W LED still less than 2amps so one or two switch to your preference.
chikanosz
post Sep 1 2019, 01:33 PM

10 posts

10A mcb for home lighting is high. Should go for 6A max. In fact, in current situation 6A is also high because led lights use very low power, maybe 3A is also suitable, (depends on your design). You don't want to have your mcb rating too high because it will be "less sensitive" for your wiring.

For more info, you can download "suruhanjaya tenaga guideline for electrical wiring in residential buildings". Search in google.

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0331sec    6.91    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th January 2020 - 03:51 AM