Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

What are the different type of storage?

views

SUSdarthsmasher
post Aug 20 2019, 09:31 AM, updated 5y ago

Getting Started
98 posts

I mean things like nas, raid, server whatever fancy term i oweiz hear online

What are the different types and purpose of it?
dcheah
post Aug 23 2019, 04:29 PM

OldSkool
1,233 posts

QUOTE(darthsmasher @ Aug 20 2019, 09:31 AM)
I mean things like nas, raid, server whatever fancy term i oweiz hear online

What are the different types and purpose of it?
Your questions is very generic & general, have you ever googled up these terms ?

NAS = Network Attached Storage
- Basically a device that connects directly to the network switch for connection & have like 1-2 bays or more of HDDs.
- It have the capability to use RAID technology ensuring data consistency & redundancy in case of any HDD failure (usually not more than 1 drive at any time).
- Most common NAS are Synology, QNap, WesternDigital, Seagate, Buffalo etc. Highly recommended is Synology because they have built-in OS & many plugins available to download & use.

RAID = Redundant Array Inexpensive Disk
- Is a technology that split/combine & cache all the installed HDDs.
- RAID0 = Stripping (eg. 100GB + 100GB = 200GB), not redundant but does increase Read/Write performance (IOPS). Seldom people use this level.
- RAID1 = Mirroring (eg. 100GB + 100GB = 100GB), redundant without parity, no performance increase, single drive failure only.
- RAID5 = Mirroring + Parity (eg. 100GB + 100GB + 100GB = 200GB), a min of 3 HDDs is required, single drive failure, but with Parity means less risk of data corrupt during HDD failure & data can be rebuild back via the Parity data. Usually used in enterprise server farms or data center.
- There are others RAID level too, but it will be very long explain each of them, thus I only summarized those that are commonly used.

Server = Just Server
- Most server runs on a very specific/custom made hardware, such as HPE ProLiant, Dell PowerEdge etc. The hardware design is total different where everything is either redundant, hot-plug, easily monitored with tons of sensors etc.
- Mostly runs on either Windows Server 2008/2012/2016/2019 etc. or Linux (RHEL, Ubuntu Server) etc. these are server class OS and not those Windows 7/10 desktop class.
- It have a multitude of control such as Active Directory, File Sharing (Samba), Host website (HTTP/HTTPS), even FTP & VPN can be configured to suit the needs.
- Basically its a central hardware that assist in control for file sharing/access and other functions like authentication, verification etc.

Bro, next time before asking a generic questions here, do google up yourself then only ask questions on which part you don't understand, don't expect ppl to spoon feed you.

shirohamada
post Aug 23 2019, 05:01 PM

Enthusiast
944 posts

cloud
Vincent6596
post Aug 30 2019, 11:37 AM

Casual
460 posts

QUOTE(dcheah @ Aug 23 2019, 04:29 PM)
Your questions is very generic & general, have you ever googled up these terms ?

NAS = Network Attached Storage
- Basically a device that connects directly to the network switch for connection & have like 1-2 bays or more of HDDs.
- It have the capability to use RAID technology ensuring data consistency & redundancy in case of any HDD failure (usually not more than 1 drive at any time).
- Most common NAS are Synology, QNap, WesternDigital, Seagate, Buffalo etc. Highly recommended is Synology because they have built-in OS & many plugins available to download & use.

RAID = Redundant Array Inexpensive Disk
- Is a technology that split/combine & cache all the installed HDDs.
- RAID0 = Stripping (eg. 100GB + 100GB = 200GB), not redundant but does increase Read/Write performance (IOPS). Seldom people use this level.
- RAID1 = Mirroring (eg. 100GB + 100GB = 100GB), redundant without parity, no performance increase, single drive failure only.
- RAID5 = Mirroring + Parity (eg. 100GB + 100GB + 100GB = 200GB), a min of 3 HDDs is required, single drive failure, but with Parity means less risk of data corrupt during HDD failure & data can be rebuild back via the Parity data. Usually used in enterprise server farms or data center.
- There are others RAID level too, but it will be very long explain each of them, thus I only summarized those that are commonly used.

Server = Just Server
- Most server runs on a very specific/custom made hardware, such as HPE ProLiant, Dell PowerEdge etc. The hardware design is total different where everything is either redundant, hot-plug, easily monitored with tons of sensors etc.
- Mostly runs on either Windows Server 2008/2012/2016/2019 etc. or Linux (RHEL, Ubuntu Server) etc. these are server class OS and not those Windows 7/10 desktop class.
- It have a multitude of control such as Active Directory, File Sharing (Samba), Host website (HTTP/HTTPS), even FTP & VPN can be configured to suit the needs.
- Basically its a central hardware that assist in control for file sharing/access and other functions like authentication, verification etc.

Bro, next time before asking a generic questions here, do google up yourself then only ask questions on which part you don't understand, don't expect ppl to spoon feed you.
very good explanation rclxms.gif rclxms.gif
Sterneye
post Aug 31 2019, 05:40 PM

Getting Started
73 posts

I am a little bit curious why do you even need that thing anyway. Do you really see my point ? You could go on with such here and that's it. All you need to know what is HDD, SSD and maybe I mean here maybe...something like NVM's and that's it.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0126sec    0.46    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:02 PM