Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Coating vs the usual polish and wax., Is one better than the other?

views

SUSBillCollector
post Aug 19 2019, 01:58 AM, updated 5y ago

Enthusiast
818 posts

Am sure there must be each enthusiast here.

I recently bought a SUV that is black color and first time ever am realizing just how hard is it to keep it clean especially in the current environment.

Is it worth to do a coating? Cost around RM900 to upwards of RM3,000 and needs to be done every 2-3 years.

Previously have stuck to a weekly wash using a power jet and car shampoo and a wax every 3-4 months and a polish plus wax every 6 months. Usually done by the service center.

Any good reason to pick one over the other?
woodentiger86
post Aug 19 2019, 10:43 AM

Budding DIY Detailer & Avid Gamer
2,414 posts

There were some other threads shared on LYN, I think I came across some on Kopitiam too... Most were saying save the hassle of coating cos of the maintenance and claiming for warranty etc and it's lifespan.

I do admit some of the coating adverts I've seen on FB looks interesting - XPEL, Ceramic Pro... But yea, the costs is on the high side [for me].

I rather use the money to detail it and regular wash and wax.

I'm sure the rest of the detailing sifus can chip in with their 2 cents.

Hope you manage to get your answer. smile.gif

PS: Do visit the Car Care & Detailing thread. I have a black-ish coloured ride too and I do agree with you it's a PITA to keep clean and shiny!

This post has been edited by woodentiger86: Aug 19 2019, 10:44 AM
SUSpot-8-O's
post Aug 19 2019, 11:22 AM

P O T A T O E S
662 posts

with the price of a good quality coat, you can expect to pay the same for a new paint job.
budakcelake
post Aug 19 2019, 01:32 PM

17 posts

QUOTE(pot-8-O's @ Aug 19 2019, 11:22 AM)
with the price of a good quality coat, you can expect to pay the same for a new paint job.
Agreed, 2-3 years can change color too bro.

There must be some justification for one over the other.
SUSpot-8-O's
post Aug 19 2019, 01:34 PM

P O T A T O E S
662 posts

QUOTE(budakcelake @ Aug 19 2019, 01:32 PM)
Agreed, 2-3 years can change color too bro.

There must be some justification for one over the other.
That seemed like most what would point out, I actually asked around alot regarding coating since i got my new ride.
Everyone also recommended to just save the coating money instead and opt for repaint.

Even to polish and wax every 3 months will save you much more than coating, which btw you need to service the coat every once in awhile from chips and damages.

Pugbunny
post Aug 19 2019, 01:45 PM

On my way
664 posts

QUOTE(pot-8-O's @ Aug 19 2019, 01:34 PM)
That seemed like most what would point out, I actually asked around alot regarding coating since i got my new ride.
Everyone also recommended to just save the coating money instead and opt for repaint.

Even to polish and wax every 3 months will save you much more than coating, which btw you need to service the coat every once in awhile from chips and damages.
Yes, this is what I get too. Cos if do the coating, still need to maintain the car by washing any dirt.

Forget about those cheap costing.
For high priced coating pula, just save the money for re-paint 5 years down the road if still want to keep the car 😂 😂
kirakun
post Aug 19 2019, 01:59 PM

On my way
656 posts

If u are lazy to wash weekly or would like an easier car wash session then el cheapo coating may help.

Personal experience after using shogun keho - much easier to wash the car as car surface is smooth even after a year on and counting.
SUSBillCollector
post Aug 19 2019, 02:10 PM

Enthusiast
818 posts

QUOTE(Pugbunny @ Aug 19 2019, 01:45 PM)
Yes, this is what I get too. Cos if do the coating, still need to maintain the car by washing any dirt.

Forget about those cheap costing.
For high priced coating pula, just save the money for re-paint 5 years down the road if still want to keep the car 😂 😂
Any idea why are so many people crazy over coating these days?

Like mentioned it isn't as if it is maintenance free. Wondering what happens when that coating isn't in production any longer.
woodentiger86
post Aug 19 2019, 02:41 PM

Budding DIY Detailer & Avid Gamer
2,414 posts

Probably many nowadays are hard-pressed for time and convenience sake, so they rather pay for a decent coating. Yes, there are pros and cons for opting to coat/not as there are supporters for each camp.

Myself, I did ask around for coating to for my new car but for that amount of money [few K] for just the cheapest package I can afford, might as well I just DIY and wax it regularly.

Anyways, coating may help make the car easier to wash but again, depends on the individual. I have friends who earns much more than me but also baulk when quoted for coatings. They rather just pay for regular washes during weekends.
budang
post Aug 19 2019, 02:52 PM

Enthusiast
960 posts

QUOTE(BillCollector @ Aug 19 2019, 02:10 PM)
Any idea why are so many people crazy over coating these days?

I'd say because of marketing. I've seen so many ads about coating on how would the coat make your car shine like brand new for years to come, with those ultra gleam on the paint work when under sun / bright lighting, slogan like 'drive a new car everyday' etc etc.

Car is the second largest investment for many household after property. Many would fall into these marketing strategy and fork out a few thousand for these coat, especially when they just take delivery of their new car.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0214sec    0.47    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:46 PM