Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> A-level colleges 2019

views

TSAnsonLauJF P
post Aug 13 2019, 11:33 PM, updated 2w ago

Probation
2 posts

Hi everyone, it’s been a while since I’ve seen an update thread regarding a level colleges. I will be starting in January,it would be nice to hear your opinions and advice regarding the matter. I have though about Methodist college and have also heard mixed reviews about it.
limmi01
post Aug 14 2019, 11:35 AM

Getting Started
110 posts

QUOTE(AnsonLauJF @ Aug 13 2019, 11:33 PM)
Hi everyone, it’s been a while since I’ve seen an update thread regarding a level colleges. I will be starting in January,it would be nice to hear your opinions and advice regarding the matter. I have though about Methodist college and have also heard mixed reviews about it.
It will be worth your while to pay MCKL a visit at Brickfield, talk to the CAL1901, CAL1907 cohorts students, gathering some feedback and make an informed decision.
myshinyannulus P
post Aug 14 2019, 01:08 PM

Probation
7 posts

Hi! If you do end up registering for and going to Methodist, might you share your experience with me? I'm an SPM student contemplating whether to take A levels next year. Thanks!
iSean
post Aug 14 2019, 07:46 PM

iz old liao.
3,357 posts

Depends on what type of education you like?
And what lecturers and friends you will be getting in your batch based on your luck.

Most people here do 4 subjects and on scholarship during my days.
The type of internal assessment I gotten during my time was quite questionable and was Singapore H2 Past papers (which require more HOTS and time to solve) and never taught by that my lecturer. (The Exam Paper was set by other lecturers not mine)

After leaving this college for 3 years I guess a lot have change. Even the CEO has you just announced her retirement. Hopefully the new CEO can bring in more positive changes within this campus.

My preference of learning is spoon-feeding type in Singapore Junior Colleges. Where the department give out numerous resources from good quality reference notes, thick past year topical papers as tutorials with step by step solutions after discussions.

I personally wasn't considered lucky to be in that batch of students who gotten these type of extra materials, like the kids from other classes. You need to be thick faced to ask from seniors or classmates to sniff for materials.

I also received lecturers who never taught A Level before, nor went through marking training during my batch. The lectuer can hold a PhD thesis, but doesn't mean they can explain the concepts cwell. As they didn't really manage to dumb down concepts for students to really understand nor relate to. It's more towards forceful chugging down the throat and memorizing formulae, when I went to Physics and Maths class. If you take Biology this is more of a norm due to its fixed marking scheme.

Considering you want to proceed with the A Level route, any goals on where you want to proceed in University? There's tons of easier pathway that too can lead to overseas university and scholarships.
TSAnsonLauJF P
post Aug 16 2019, 12:41 PM

Probation
2 posts

QUOTE(iSean @ Aug 14 2019, 07:46 PM)
Depends on what type of education you like?
And what lecturers and friends you will be getting in your batch based on your luck.

Most people here do 4 subjects and on scholarship during my days.
The type of internal assessment I gotten during my time was quite questionable and was Singapore H2 Past papers (which require more HOTS and time to solve) and never taught by that my lecturer. (The Exam Paper was set by other lecturers not mine)

After leaving this college for 3 years I guess a lot have change. Even the CEO has you just announced her retirement. Hopefully the new CEO can bring in more positive changes within this campus.

My preference of learning is spoon-feeding type in Singapore Junior Colleges. Where the department give out numerous resources from good quality reference notes, thick past year topical papers as tutorials with step by step solutions after discussions.

I personally wasn't considered lucky to be in that batch of students who gotten these type of extra materials, like the kids from other classes. You need to be thick faced to ask from seniors or classmates to sniff for materials.

I also received lecturers who never taught A Level before, nor went through marking training during my batch. The lectuer can hold a PhD thesis, but doesn't mean they can explain the concepts cwell. As they didn't really manage to dumb down concepts for students to really understand nor relate to. It's more towards forceful chugging down the throat and memorizing formulae, when I went to Physics and Maths class. If you take Biology this is more of a norm due to its fixed marking scheme.

Considering you want to proceed with the A Level route, any goals on where you want to proceed in University? There's tons of easier pathway that too can lead to overseas university and scholarships.
Goals as in ?

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0674sec    2.83    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 24th August 2019 - 12:15 AM