Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

MSI x570 & Ryzen 3600x upgrade, from a dad's POV

views

TSAelzen
post Aug 13 2019, 10:28 PM, updated 5y ago

34 posts

This is a review / first impressions of my experience upgrading my desktop PC as a dad that's out of touch with the current trends in desktop hardware.

So I've been long overdue for a PC upgrade for a long time now. My desktop PC was purchased in 2012 and had only had cursory upgrades (as in, graphics card/PSU replaced as they've died). But I've been out of the PC hardware game for a long time; no idea what's new, what's good, what's bad. So I asked around and was told from a number of sources that AMD is the way to go these days. Now, I've always been an Intel man from the day they started making CPUs. I was wary, but in particular I am trusting of the advice of a good friend who works in IT.

Get a Ryzen 5 3600x, he said. And a x570 board to go with it. So, says I, what x570? MSI, he says.

And off I go to see what they offer.

I looked at a few different options to see what specs were on offer. I really wanted wifi, obviously, because who doesn't, and bluetooth would be good for when I want to use my xbox one controller for gaming. But I also didn't want to spend stupid money on it. I'm a dad. I don't have the luxury of spare money to throw at stuff; it all goes to schooling, a seemingly endless supply of food for hungry mouths, clothes that get outgrown in what feels like weeks. So I had a look at the lower end of the scale of what MSI had to offer, and hey, the x570 gaming edge wifi did everything I wanted, for what I feel is a pretty fair price.

So I pulled the trigger. I arranged with a local store to get the new parts put together with what still worked out of my old PC and went in. Got some 3600mhz ram (I honestly don't recall the name, something starting with A?) to go along with it, because obviously the old junk I have is just that, junk. While I was at the store, the salesman pointed out "my" good taste in motherboards. The MSI board comes with PCIE 4.0, which to me was just jargon, but he explained that the upcoming generations of graphics cards can really utilize the hell out of that, and I'll get a greater performance boost out of it compared to 3.0 when I get around to upgrading my graphics card. Excellent I say, not really following other than "is gooder than the old one". Also, the salesman said, it's got a heatsink for an M.2 drive to keep temperatures down, and a whole pile of other onboard cooling. Great, I think, knowing we live in a country that can be sweltering at times and that temperature is the enemy, definitely picked the right motherboard here.

Everything was installed and running a few hours later. Since then I've been installing windows, drivers, all my old apps, the usual routine one does after a format. Things are blazing fast by comparison (sorry, my old 3770k, but you suck) and I couldn't be happier. I went into this a bit worried about the difficulty of finding the right hardware for the right price, but thankfully I had some good advice and a bit of luck.

One last thing. My old desktop had been running a USB hub for the past couple years. The ASUS motherboard simply didn't have enough ports for all the peripherals (kb/m, webcam, usb dvd, ext. hdd, graphics tablet, xbox controller and more). Not the case with this new MSI board. I have, for the first time in a long time, got spare USB ports. I might need to buy some more stuff just to take advantage of it.

llk
post Aug 13 2019, 10:56 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,101 posts

QUOTE(Aelzen @ Aug 13 2019, 10:28 PM)
This is a review / first impressions of my experience upgrading my desktop PC as a dad that's out of touch with the current trends in desktop hardware.

So I've been long overdue for a PC upgrade for a long time now. My desktop PC was purchased in 2012 and had only had cursory upgrades (as in, graphics card/PSU replaced as they've died). But I've been out of the PC hardware game for a long time; no idea what's new, what's good, what's bad. So I asked around and was told from a number of sources that AMD is the way to go these days. Now, I've always been an Intel man from the day they started making CPUs. I was wary, but in particular I am trusting of the advice of a good friend who works in IT.

Get a Ryzen 5 3600x, he said. And a x570 board to go with it. So, says I, what x570? MSI, he says.

And off I go to see what they offer.

I looked at a few different options to see what specs were on offer. I really wanted wifi, obviously, because who doesn't, and bluetooth would be good for when I want to use my xbox one controller for gaming. But I also didn't want to spend stupid money on it. I'm a dad. I don't have the luxury of spare money to throw at stuff; it all goes to schooling, a seemingly endless supply of food for hungry mouths, clothes that get outgrown in what feels like weeks. So I had a look at the lower end of the scale of what MSI had to offer, and hey, the x570 gaming edge wifi did everything I wanted, for what I feel is a pretty fair price.

So I pulled the trigger. I arranged with a local store to get the new parts put together with what still worked out of my old PC and went in. Got some 3600mhz ram (I honestly don't recall the name, something starting with A?) to go along with it, because obviously the old junk I have is just that, junk. While I was at the store, the salesman pointed out "my" good taste in motherboards. The MSI board comes with PCIE 4.0, which to me was just jargon, but he explained that the upcoming generations of graphics cards can really utilize the hell out of that, and I'll get a greater performance boost out of it compared to 3.0 when I get around to upgrading my graphics card. Excellent I say, not really following other than "is gooder than the old one". Also, the salesman said, it's got a heatsink for an M.2 drive to keep temperatures down, and a whole pile of other onboard cooling. Great, I think, knowing we live in a country that can be sweltering at times and that temperature is the enemy, definitely picked the right motherboard here.

Everything was installed and running a few hours later. Since then I've been installing windows, drivers, all my old apps, the usual routine one does after a format. Things are blazing fast by comparison (sorry, my old 3770k, but you suck) and I couldn't be happier. I went into this a bit worried about the difficulty of finding the right hardware for the right price, but thankfully I had some good advice and a bit of luck.

One last thing. My old desktop had been running a USB hub for the past couple years. The ASUS motherboard simply didn't have enough ports for all the peripherals (kb/m, webcam, usb dvd, ext. hdd, graphics tablet, xbox controller and more). Not the case with this new MSI board. I have, for the first time in a long time, got spare USB ports. I might need to buy some more stuff just to take advantage of it.
Unfortunately u just got yourself the worst VRM thermal performance board, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7PkZwY9PWM
Similar price range board Asus X570 Tuf Wifi has same number of USB ports.
krayden
post Aug 13 2019, 11:05 PM

On my way
568 posts

Wah so harsh.....

Bro, MSI is fine since you won't be overclocking. Heatsink will do the job.
There might be some slight adjustment to your build for better performance, but since you buy already.... just enjoy.
TristanX
post Aug 13 2019, 11:08 PM

Where is my stars?
Group Icon
Elite
23,662 posts

QUOTE(krayden @ Aug 13 2019, 11:05 PM)
Wah so harsh.....

There might be some slight adjustment to your build for better performance, but since you buy already.... just enjoy.
Yeah, I still think MSI X570 will work just fine even with 3900X. Just hope the casing has air flow.

AM4 VRM chart:
Attached File  AM4VRM.zip ( 174.73k ) Number of downloads: 33

This post has been edited by TristanX: Aug 13 2019, 11:51 PM
xxboxx
post Aug 14 2019, 12:42 AM

The mind is for having ideas, not holding them
5,093 posts

I don't understand why buy mid spec CPU and pair it with highest spec mobo? Can't brain paying more for mobo instead of CPU. If need wifi then just buy a usb wifi, less than RM50 can get AC1200 dual band. Bluetooth? Less than RM30.

I do hope you also got yourself a nvme ssd.
chocobo7779
post Aug 14 2019, 01:24 AM

Power is nothing without control
All Stars
14,368 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Aug 14 2019, 12:42 AM)
I don't understand why buy mid spec CPU and pair it with highest spec mobo? Can't brain paying more for mobo instead of CPU. If need wifi then just buy a usb wifi, less than RM50 can get AC1200 dual band. Bluetooth? Less than RM30.

I do hope you also got yourself a nvme ssd.
Heck if he wants something more advanced he could have gotten an AX WiFi card off from Aliexpress or something icon_idea.gif
chocobo7779
post Aug 14 2019, 01:24 AM

Power is nothing without control
All Stars
14,368 posts

QUOTE(TristanX @ Aug 13 2019, 11:08 PM)
Yeah, I still think MSI X570 will work just fine even with 3900X. Just hope the casing has air flow.

AM4 VRM chart:
Attached File  AM4VRM.zip ( 174.73k ) Number of downloads: 33

The Gigabyte X570 lineup is way better IINM sweat.gif
ave666
post Aug 14 2019, 07:12 AM

Beginner
1,515 posts

I beg to differ. For mb I'm choose a highest chipset for so we called "features". Same goes to vehicles, I'm opt for highest spec because of I'm not change part/item annually. For cpu, mid range and high range is really not that big of jump
BTS1501
post Aug 14 2019, 09:14 AM

Getting Started
248 posts

I think TS is trying to justified his need for brand new PC than feeding his kids mouths.

For me spending RM$3k-5k just to upgrade, might as well get asus AC53 router as repeater, a fast 250 samsung SSD and that's it, only around RM$600, can save the few thousands on household expenses.

x570 only got 16 USB ports, but asus P67 sabertooth got 18 USB ports, or H61 got 10 USB ports, more than enough for his usage. If want USB 3 for H61, just get a PCI card will do.

Maybe he was just trying to justify to his wife for the money spent, that's my POV.
Current Events guy
post Aug 14 2019, 09:30 AM

Enthusiast
960 posts

QUOTE(ave666 @ Aug 14 2019, 07:12 AM)
I beg to differ. For mb I'm choose a highest chipset for so we called "features". Same goes to vehicles, I'm opt for highest spec because of I'm not change part/item annually.
I'm with you on this but some people here are set on the mindset that you build a PC today to play current games only without considering that we might want to play future games too although on mid settings.
aliesterfiend
post Aug 14 2019, 11:29 AM

Red Dragon
1,193 posts

QUOTE(ave666 @ Aug 14 2019, 07:12 AM)
I beg to differ. For mb I'm choose a highest chipset for so we called "features". Same goes to vehicles, I'm opt for highest spec because of I'm not change part/item annually. For cpu, mid range and high range is really not that big of jump
I agree. Mobo especially is something that ppl only change when it' s broken so it's good to get the one that have the most updated features. If I'm gonna upgrade to newer CPU at this moment obviously I will stick with my current board but if I'm building a new rig then I'm going with X570 (or B550 when it comes later).
khiunngiap
post Aug 14 2019, 11:30 AM

Getting Started
193 posts

Ya just wanted to expressed a happy purchase , he had out of the field so long. Thus, he bought things which he think is justified by his needs.

Enjoy your rig .
greyshadow
post Aug 14 2019, 04:40 PM

I bleed it out, Diggin' deeper just to throw it away!
1,826 posts

me a dad also, also out of touch with the pc scenes for very very long time, my last own built proper rig was more than 12 years ago...
also currently building a rig from scratch now, also chosen AMD Ryzen this time when I was in the blue camp all this while.
But I disagree with his choice of expensive X570, which has a lot of features that I don't need or use.
PCIE 4 is kinda overrated now, hardly any current devices supports it, and those runs in PCIE 4 also doesn't have any meaningful performance boost. So IMO it's a red herring for now.
BT & Wifi as some said, can be added easily & cheaply via plug-in or external device

I'm actually pairing a Ryzen 7 3700X with a ASRock B450 Steel Legend. I think I'm paying around the same price as his rig, but I opt for faster CPU and medium mobo which gets the job done.

and i got a feeling next gen Ryzen gonna be using different sockets, so really not worth it to get the latest X570 mobo that might not be able to support next gen CPU

This post has been edited by greyshadow: Aug 14 2019, 04:43 PM
llk
post Aug 14 2019, 05:44 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,101 posts

QUOTE(greyshadow @ Aug 14 2019, 04:40 PM)
me a dad also, also out of touch with the pc scenes for very very long time, my last own built proper rig was more than 12 years ago...
also currently building a rig from scratch now, also chosen AMD Ryzen this time when I was in the blue camp all this while.
But I disagree with his choice of expensive X570, which has a lot of features that I don't need or use.
PCIE 4 is kinda overrated now, hardly any current devices supports it, and those runs in PCIE 4 also doesn't have any meaningful performance boost.  So IMO it's a red herring for now. 
BT & Wifi as some said, can be added easily & cheaply via plug-in or external device

I'm actually pairing a Ryzen 7 3700X with a ASRock B450 Steel Legend.  I think I'm paying around the same price as his rig, but I opt for faster CPU and medium mobo which gets the job done.

and i got a feeling next gen Ryzen gonna be using different sockets, so really not worth it to get the latest X570 mobo that might not be able to support next gen CPU
Actually AMD had assured AM4 socket will be still relevant till 2020, unless AMD delay the launch of Ryzen3 otherwise most of AM4 motherboard still can be used.
shirohamada
post Aug 14 2019, 06:32 PM

Enthusiast
944 posts

QUOTE(llk @ Aug 13 2019, 10:56 PM)
Unfortunately u just got yourself the worst VRM thermal performance board, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7PkZwY9PWM
Similar price range board Asus X570 Tuf Wifi has same number of USB ports.
fortunately it's only a 3600x.
unfortunately, ts didn't get a 3600 and a hyper 212 led instead.

QUOTE(krayden @ Aug 13 2019, 11:05 PM)
Wah so harsh.....

fortunately. ryzen 3000 is unoverclockable. pbo already does it for you.
unfortunately, ts got conned by the salesman as the mobo is probably more expensive than the cpu. should have went for 3700x or b450.

This post has been edited by shirohamada: Aug 14 2019, 06:34 PM
krayden
post Aug 14 2019, 07:50 PM

On my way
568 posts

QUOTE(shirohamada @ Aug 14 2019, 06:32 PM)
fortunately. ryzen 3000 is unoverclockable. pbo already does it for you.
unfortunately, ts got conned by the salesman as the mobo is probably more expensive than the cpu. should have went for 3700x or b450.
Agreed. But I generally try not to put ppl down when they've already bought. Not like returns are allowable like in the US. At least he din get a 3200G on a Godlike with mech drives and 128GB 2666 RAM lol.
shirohamada
post Aug 14 2019, 08:29 PM

Enthusiast
944 posts

QUOTE(krayden @ Aug 14 2019, 07:50 PM)
Agreed. But I generally try not to put ppl down when they've already bought. Not like returns are allowable like in the US. At least he din get a 3200G on a Godlike with mech drives and 128GB 2666 RAM lol.
Lol. Store must be a msi partner.
krayden
post Aug 14 2019, 08:56 PM

On my way
568 posts

So give the man a break. He is simply expressing his joy of building a system after so long. That is something that I will be doing very soon (last build was 2004 or something), except I will be teaching my son how to build.
The build is not completely horrible, it's just a stone's throw away from being optimum.
Lesson for everyone, ask one little question and even if its just Tristan alone, it will set you on the right path.
cstkl1
post Aug 14 2019, 09:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
6,799 posts

well a 3600x is fine with that mobo...
heck even a 3800x

ppl are being stupid with vrms. it seriously comes to play when u have a very good clockable cpu that requires higher wattage provided you can cool it...

xxboxx
post Aug 15 2019, 11:33 PM

The mind is for having ideas, not holding them
5,093 posts

QUOTE(krayden @ Aug 14 2019, 07:50 PM)

3200G with X570 board, that would be epic laugh.gif

Anyway he is a dad, I think should be matured enough to accept criticism. I also made a mistake of buying low speed low grade RAM because didn't research properly. That's the consequence of not doing my homework, have to accept own mistake.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0132sec    0.24    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:20 AM