Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Advice on Family Car, Replacing my Passat

views

DM52
post Aug 6 2019, 07:31 PM

Casual
368 posts

QUOTE(Drian @ Aug 6 2019, 05:20 PM)
actually x70 size consider D segmanet or c segment?
C segment suv same as honda crv, mazda cx5 and etc. D segment suv is hyundai santa fe, toyota harrier, subaru outback, kia sorento and etc.

If u sit in d segment sedan and sit inside x70, u can feel x70 seats is smaller.
TSCastreal
post Aug 7 2019, 02:45 PM

Getting Started
112 posts

QUOTE(nebula87 @ Aug 6 2019, 01:33 PM)
I'm a CX-5 owner myself, but I wouldn't recommend you because of your 3 kids may not enjoy the ride since they already get used to seat like your Passat.
Rear seats Passat > CX-5 in term of space.

Mazda cars are driver-oriented. It may offers what Conti cars have. Good handling, classy interior&exterior, safety features and etc.
Go get a test drive, and see for yourself.  thumbsup.gif

Protips: get a CX-5 2.5.  thumbsup.gif
While I really want a driver's car, the back seat as you have pointed out is a bit of a disappointment, so I'll skip the CX-5.

QUOTE(^pomen_GTR^ @ Aug 6 2019, 01:50 PM)
well..if only u plan no additional kid later  sweat.gif

probably u need to look into fc and servicing cost also for long term usage.. (beyond warranty period service/maintenance schedule)
Yes, no more kids after this, I've done my part populating the earth, will let the others have a chance.
So the criteria is to first survive the warranty years without much of any issues, and that track record will hopefully stretched out the remaining years.
FC & Servicing cost should be fine, I doubt any of them are costlier than what I have spent on my Passat rclxub.gif

QUOTE(EnterYourName @ Aug 6 2019, 02:11 PM)
CRV got the steering rack and gear knob issue but then if u coming from VW, i think u should already get used to issues lol.

X70, my wife said is not really feel that wide sitting at the back, and the seat is quite straight up, the rear seat can't recline. However, the NVH in X70 really good but the FC is very bad.

CX-5 is a no-no for your requirement, is too small and poor legroom at the back.

Maybe u can consider the Sportage diesel, reasonably priced with 5 years free service, the space at the back is quite good too (not as good as CRV), with ample of torque and good FC being diesel.
Other than that maybe Tucson 1.6 Turbo is using dual clutch as well so u might not feel too much different from your existing passat.
sweat.gif I'm familiar with both issues and tow-trucks.
But I'll take note of those issues, shouldn't cost more than what I'm fixing now for my 6 year old Passat.
Agree that NVH is good in X70, perhaps we are all too distracted with the Nappa leather to notice not enough shoulder room space, they are still kids after all. Recline or not doesn't quite matter I guess, since there will be car seats.

QUOTE(voscar @ Aug 6 2019, 02:11 PM)
No consider D segment sedan such as Honda Accord 2.4?
Haven't really consider another Sedan. The conversation actually came about when my in-laws bought an X70, and we thought it would be of good value to trade in my old car for that SUV.
Also, my wife prefers (when she drives) a higher car, she use to drive a Sorento, and believes that the higher seating does give advantage in terms of visibility when driving. I am open for suggestions tho, if any of those actually tick all the boxes.

QUOTE(hyrano @ Aug 6 2019, 02:40 PM)
You're gonna have to sacrifice some things coming from a VW dual clutch transmission 1.8 turbo. Most of the low end entry level mid size SUVs are CVT gearbox for Japanese cars.

In terms of car size, you're looking for something around the size of X70, Xtrail, CRV right? Have you tried driving Subaru Forester? Similar size but AWD.

The new version of Forester is coming out this month so a lot of shops are offering massive discounts on their previous generation Foresters. Or else can wait for the new generation launch, but it's going to be somewhere between 140-170k price range. That car is great to drive and pretty roomy, also good NVH. But the pricing is a bit expensive and for a driver's car, can consider CX5 turbo already.

It's Subaru so maintenance will be a bit higher but the ride and build quality is solid for the price. The trims we get in Malaysia are pretty similar to the ones in foreign countries, and Subaru XV and Forester is very popular in the US/Australia.

As always just take the family for a test drive on one of them. Subaru cars are driver cars just like Mazda but I feel they emphasize a lot on safety, comfort and practical construction and design. Car feels solid.
Hi, yes I know that there will be some sacrifice. Haven't exactly look into Subaru, never really look to that brand as a "Family Car" brand. My preference is for City driving and not really "exploration" with the All wheel drive. But I'll take a look once the new model is out, perhaps take it for a spin, not really a fan on the looks though.
TSCastreal
post Aug 7 2019, 02:51 PM

Getting Started
112 posts

QUOTE(DM52 @ Aug 6 2019, 03:05 PM)
I think u are a slow driver/not agressive driver. I test drove x70 premium that equipped with 19inch tyre last month and cornering is out liao. My accord much more stable. Even city stable than that. Not my fault, proton sa force me to corner fast, and I corner like sedan. Even with 19inch, still lose to sedan tbh. Dunno why people love suv and drive it fast. Lol.

Btw, other than that, it is really up to date. So many gadget to play around. Got hi proton. Btw, why not stay with d segment?. Why want to replace passat with suv?. Due to latest tech?.
I didn't really "test-drive" kaw kaw the X70, it belongs to my in laws, so just took it for a spin around the neighborhood. Didn't do much excessive cornering, since its housing area, so I just cornered like how I usually would.
Replacing it with SUV because the conversation started off with the X70, and it gives a height advantage in terms of visibility (for my wife).

QUOTE(leon898 @ Aug 6 2019, 05:12 PM)
I'm with voscar.
Plenty of D seg car that have good space at the rear. but not tall. If SUV, I am putting my vote to X70
Its a close one between X70 and CRV tbh, only blockers are track record of X70 not as long, and the CVT driving for CRV dampens the driving experience.
Im open for suggestions on D Seg Sedan if u have any?

dwRK
post Aug 7 2019, 03:02 PM

the consummate chartist
5,118 posts

I'd seriously consider Grand Carnival or Santa Fe... turbo diesel makes city driving so effortless and highway driving so quiet, not to mention fuel efficient. You'd also appreciate the real space over the other suvs.
TSCastreal
post Aug 7 2019, 03:10 PM

Getting Started
112 posts

QUOTE(dwRK @ Aug 7 2019, 03:02 PM)
I'd seriously consider Grand Carnival or Santa Fe... turbo diesel makes city driving so effortless and highway driving so quiet, not to mention fuel efficient. You'd also appreciate the real space over the other suvs.
Initially, I had my eyes on the Santa Fe Premium once its launched here. I also had a bit of budget for that as well. But we have some change of plans and have to reprioritize our finances, so I'm left now with around Rm 155k which I can't even afford the Petrol Exec variant sad.gif
It is what it is, the best option then would be to consider the GC KX, and I'm no fan of fabric seats unfortunately. We will go for a test drive this weekend to see how it goes.
dwRK
post Aug 7 2019, 03:50 PM

the consummate chartist
5,118 posts

QUOTE(Castreal @ Aug 7 2019, 03:10 PM)
Initially, I had my eyes on the Santa Fe Premium once its launched here. I also had a bit of budget for that as well. But we have some change of plans and have to reprioritize our finances, so I'm left now with around Rm 155k which I can't even afford the Petrol Exec variant  sad.gif
It is what it is, the best option then would be to consider the GC KX, and I'm no fan of fabric seats unfortunately. We will go for a test drive this weekend to see how it goes.
Understand. Check if they have any pre-owned units, they can be substantially cheaper... go to a few Hyundai showrooms if required. Find a good SA and see when / how to get cheaper units. If you can wait, sometimes when year-end some dealers pre-register and sell as used units with 1-2k mileage to clear stock.
^pomen_GTR^
post Aug 7 2019, 06:22 PM

Regular
1,077 posts

QUOTE(dwRK @ Aug 7 2019, 03:02 PM)
Initially, I had my eyes on the Santa Fe Premium once its launched here. I also had a bit of budget for that as well. But we have some change of plans and have to reprioritize our finances, so I'm left now with around Rm 155k which I can't even afford the Petrol Exec variant  sad.gif
i agree with option to look into santa fe 2.2 tebo diesel...

its also 7seater (kids legroom for the last row)...

pretty good engine power/torque, not bad handling, the leather interior is also feels classy...

and the 2015-2016 nowadays priced less than 100k...should be workable right?
6UE5T
post Aug 7 2019, 07:17 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

I'd suggest something a bit more special: 😂
https://m.mudah.my/view?ad_id=76853813&shar...&share_to=other
SUSEnterYourName
post Aug 7 2019, 10:58 PM

Getting Started
186 posts

I know u are coming from passat b7 and probably scared of VW already but with that budget, u might also consider the tiguan
Boy96
post Aug 8 2019, 12:22 AM

That's a tripod.
3,755 posts

Same situation as u. But now still keeping the Passat and looking forward to test the CKD X70 with the dual clutch transmission ..

Test drove the current X70. Feels a bit sluggish bcoz coming from a fast shifting DSG...

Dont mind the issue with the passat if its minor niggles. But the car can actually shut down by itself while driving is really a safety hazard

This post has been edited by Boy96: Aug 8 2019, 12:23 AM
ketupatlazat
post Aug 8 2019, 09:22 PM

On my way
545 posts

Seems like space takes the utmost priority

Your kids would really appreciate the backseat space that CR-V can offer
4WD_er
post Aug 9 2019, 10:33 AM

Casual
459 posts

Since you consider Grand Carnival (5.05m length), why not also take a look at Sorento Diesel (4.8m length) with AWD somemore. I think you can get RM10k discount at the moment.

Forget about Santa Fe, as the diesel set you back at 190k with fabric seats and no 3rd row aircond. Sorento has it with all leather seats and 3rd row aircond.

Once you tested the AWD 2.2 diesel with 197BHP and 440 NM torque, anything else become lethargic.
BktRaja
post Aug 9 2019, 05:05 PM

33 posts

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

With 3 child seats at the back, can forget about the CX-5.

Do you need to carry more than 5 people from time to time? If not then can ignore the Grand Carnival. If yes then can ignore the rest. Parts for Kia are not expensive nowadays.

Between X70 and CRV, if want to have peace of mind, then the CRV. X70 will be the best money to performance/specs ratio.

BktRaja
post Aug 9 2019, 05:06 PM

33 posts

p/s - X70 boot space is a bit small as the boot floor height is taller than CRV if I can recall correctly

Jessieccy
post Aug 9 2019, 10:51 PM

Getting Started
160 posts

Since you haven't decide... Have you tried Peugeot 5008... 5+2 seater. The middle are 3 individual independent ISOFIX seats. Everyone should be able to be comfortable. I only noticed French cars usually have such ISOFIX seats. Citroen C4 Grand Picasso/Tourer is the first I noticed that have those seat configuration plus it's comfortable and a short car.
TSCastreal
post Aug 10 2019, 01:06 AM

Getting Started
112 posts

QUOTE(dwRK @ Aug 7 2019, 03:50 PM)
Understand. Check if they have any pre-owned units, they can be substantially cheaper... go to a few Hyundai showrooms if required. Find a good SA and see when / how to get cheaper units. If you can wait, sometimes when year-end some dealers pre-register and sell as used units with 1-2k mileage to clear stock.
I'll check and see, thanks.

QUOTE(^pomen_GTR^ @ Aug 7 2019, 06:22 PM)
i agree with option to look into santa fe 2.2 tebo diesel...

its also 7seater (kids legroom for the last row)...

pretty good engine power/torque, not bad handling, the leather interior is also feels classy...

and the 2015-2016 nowadays priced less than 100k...should be workable right?
Right, I like the look of the new Santa Fe, and initially was interested in the safety features as well as the new 8 speed diesel variant, so not so much interested in the older versions.

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Aug 7 2019, 07:17 PM)
I'd suggest something a bit more special: 😂
https://m.mudah.my/view?ad_id=76853813&shar...&share_to=other
Erm, thanks for the suggestion I guess.

QUOTE(EnterYourName @ Aug 7 2019, 10:58 PM)
I know u are coming from passat b7 and probably scared of VW already but with that budget, u might also consider the tiguan
No way I'm going back to VW after my 6 years experience with them. They used to be acceptably ok, now its just ranting.gif
On the bright side, I do like the new look of the tiguan, kodos to them on the design.

QUOTE(Boy96 @ Aug 8 2019, 12:22 AM)
Same situation as u. But now still keeping the Passat and looking forward to test the CKD X70 with the dual clutch transmission ..

Test drove the current X70. Feels a bit sluggish bcoz coming from a fast shifting DSG...

Dont mind the issue with the passat if its minor niggles. But the car can actually shut down by itself while driving is really a safety hazard
Yea, I realized that and had experienced that too, half way driving it just died on me, luckily wasn't going as fast, else might not be here today.
Are the CKD Specs out?
TSCastreal
post Aug 10 2019, 01:14 AM

Getting Started
112 posts

QUOTE(ketupatlazat @ Aug 8 2019, 09:22 PM)
Seems like space takes the utmost priority

Your kids would really appreciate the backseat space that CR-V can offer
Haha, yea, both my older kids actually prefer the CR-V. I still have to test drive it a few more times, I'm just not used to the CVT driving sweat.gif

QUOTE(4WD_er @ Aug 9 2019, 10:33 AM)
Since you consider Grand Carnival (5.05m length), why not also take a look at Sorento Diesel (4.8m length) with AWD somemore.  I think you can get RM10k discount at the moment.

Forget about Santa Fe, as the diesel set you back at 190k with fabric seats and no 3rd row aircond.  Sorento has it with all leather seats and 3rd row aircond.

Once you tested the AWD 2.2 diesel with 197BHP and 440 NM torque, anything else become lethargic.
I did take a look at the Sorento, but I recall it being a bit hassle getting in, especially to the 3rd row. I'll check it out again tomorrow when I go for a test drive on the Grand Carnival.

QUOTE(BktRaja @ Aug 9 2019, 05:05 PM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

With 3 child seats at the back, can forget about the CX-5.

Do you need to carry more than 5 people from time to time? If not then can ignore the Grand Carnival. If yes then can ignore the rest. Parts for Kia are not expensive nowadays.

Between X70 and CRV, if want to have peace of mind, then the CRV. X70 will be the best money to performance/specs ratio.
Yes, CX-5 is out. Most of the time is just 3 people, on weekends will be 5. But I heard differently from KIA owners colleagues and mechanics though, I heard their parts are freakishly expensive as though owning a conti car.

QUOTE(BktRaja @ Aug 9 2019, 05:06 PM)
p/s - X70 boot space is a bit small as the boot floor height is taller than CRV if I can recall correctly
I'm aware, in terms of spaciousness, CRV wins hands-down.

QUOTE(Jessieccy @ Aug 9 2019, 10:51 PM)
Since you haven't decide... Have you tried Peugeot 5008... 5+2 seater. The middle are 3 individual independent ISOFIX seats. Everyone should be able to be comfortable. I only noticed French cars usually have such ISOFIX seats. Citroen C4 Grand Picasso/Tourer is the first I noticed that have those seat configuration plus it's comfortable and a short car.
I heard about the 5008, its actually one of the rare cars that has full 3 seats in the back. My only worry is on the brand itself, I don't want to get myself (and my family) into another VW situation.

Boy96
post Aug 10 2019, 01:22 AM

That's a tripod.
3,755 posts

QUOTE(Jessieccy @ Aug 9 2019, 10:51 PM)
As a frequent driver of both VW and Peugeot cars, your recommendation is akin to the idiom of Out from the frying pan, into the fire.

Spare parts for the frenchies cost a lot more than the VW here in Malaysia because u have to buy original imported from France ones, whereas u get alot of OEM options available for the german brand

Reliability issues aside, the legroom and space of the 3rd row seats of both the C4GP and 5008 is even worse than an Aruz
SUSEnterYourName
post Aug 10 2019, 08:40 AM

Getting Started
186 posts

QUOTE(Castreal @ Aug 10 2019, 01:06 AM)
No way I'm going back to VW after my 6 years experience with them. They used to be acceptably ok, now its just ranting.gif
On the bright side, I do like the new look of the tiguan, kodos to them on the design.
On the contrary I have chosen the tiguan after test drive on many different SUV x70, cx5, tucson, sportage, crv, 3008, forester.

Probably I'll curse like u after 5 years lol
Jessieccy
post Aug 10 2019, 09:15 AM

Getting Started
160 posts

I am only giving a suggestion to see everything in the market before you decide. Yes Pug is not exactly known to be a good dealership service. But the current lineup of the cars have better reliability than when it had the stupid Prince engine. Just that sometimes French/European cars offer some practicalities that you don't see in Japanese cars.

3 Pages < 1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0174sec    0.21    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:57 PM