Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Lost Windows 8 activation key

views

TSairrin213 P
post Jul 29 2019, 10:08 PM, updated 5y ago

Probation
4 posts

I have lost my windows 8 activation key after factory data reset. Do I have to buy new one? or is there a way to recover it? icon_question.gif
ldragon
post Jul 29 2019, 10:10 PM

Enthusiast
981 posts

May i know what laptop model are you using? there is a license key sticker on the laptop.
TSairrin213 P
post Jul 29 2019, 10:20 PM

Probation
4 posts

QUOTE(ldragon @ Jul 29 2019, 10:10 PM)
May i know what laptop model are you using? there is a license key sticker on the laptop.
del inspiron 15 5000 series.... i could not find the sticker on laptop..
weissPC
post Jul 29 2019, 10:22 PM

Casual
316 posts

QUOTE(airrin213 @ Jul 29 2019, 10:08 PM)
I have lost my windows 8 activation key after factory data reset. Do I have to buy new one? or is there a way to recover it? icon_question.gif
Usually Microsoft's server have your processor and mobo info, you just have to go online to reactivate Windows OS.

Question is yours is Windows 8 or 8.1 originally? Did you update from Windows 8 to 8.1? This might affect the activation but I don't have enough experience to advise you on that.
weissPC
post Jul 29 2019, 10:24 PM

Casual
316 posts

QUOTE(airrin213 @ Jul 29 2019, 10:20 PM)
The activation license is embedded into the BIOS, for Windows 8, if I remember correctly. It's only for Windows 10 that they store the activation online.
nate_nightroad
post Jul 29 2019, 10:27 PM

Endless numbered days...
3,537 posts

or call dell, and ask for the code
TSairrin213 P
post Jul 29 2019, 10:29 PM

Probation
4 posts

QUOTE(weissPC @ Jul 29 2019, 10:24 PM)
The activation license is embedded into the BIOS, for Windows 8, if I remember correctly. It's only for Windows 10 that they store the activation online.
its windows 8 updated to windows 8.1. i did bring my laptop to computer shop and was told that my old activation key could not be used. I messed it up when i did the factory reset. So he installed a temporary key which is expiring soon cry.gif . Just looking for alternate ways before i bought the windows software from store
weissPC
post Jul 29 2019, 10:44 PM

Casual
316 posts

QUOTE(airrin213 @ Jul 29 2019, 10:29 PM)
its windows 8 updated to windows 8.1. i did bring my laptop to computer shop and was told that my old activation key could not be used. I messed it up when i did the factory reset. So he installed a temporary key which is expiring soon cry.gif . Just looking for alternate ways before i bought the windows software from store
The shop screwed up, not you, there are a few cases where the shops installed the Enterprise version of Windows 8 that needs to be activated every 180 days, that I needed to revert back to the Home version. Once I revert, it can activate by itself since the activation key is in the BIOS.

You need to find a program that can extract the activation key from BIOS.

Another alternative that is easier if your laptop contains the factory images that you can restore from, it should restore to your Home or Pro version rather than the Enterprise versions that's expiring.

Are you able to get to the screen like below that shows the version of the OS that you're having? Whether it's Home, Pro or Enterprise?
Attached Image

cstkl1
post Jul 30 2019, 01:35 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
6,799 posts

QUOTE(weissPC @ Jul 29 2019, 10:44 PM)
The shop screwed up, not you, there are a few cases where the shops installed the Enterprise version of Windows 8 that needs to be activated every 180 days, that I needed to revert back to the Home version. Once I revert, it can activate by itself since the activation key is in the BIOS.

You need to find a program that can extract the activation key from BIOS.

Another alternative that is easier if your laptop contains the factory images that you can restore from, it should restore to your Home or Pro version rather than the Enterprise versions that's expiring.

Are you able to get to the screen like below that shows the version of the OS that you're having? Whether it's Home, Pro or Enterprise?
Attached Image
first time hearing such thing as activation key in da bios

weissPC
post Jul 30 2019, 01:47 PM

Casual
316 posts

QUOTE(cstkl1 @ Jul 30 2019, 01:35 PM)
first time hearing such thing as activation key in da bios
Learnt it the hard way. Last time when they first intro the 2-in-1 and full fat Win tablets - no CD and no direct USB booting due to UEFI BIOS. Spent weeks troubleshooting and recovering from a crashed Win 8 OS.

TS, you can look for a program like that shown in the link if you want to get the activation key. I just googled it, and haven't tried it, few years ago when Win 8 was still the latest OS, I tried out until I found one program that's free and can extract the Windows key.

https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-recover-...-key-from-bios/

But really, there is no need to get the activation key. You just go to Dell website, key in your service code or s/n, find out the version that your laptop came with and then reinstall that version to the laptop. It should self activate (not sure internet connection is needed or not, forgot d).

The one thing I'm not sure is, whether Win 8.1 upgrade will mess up the activation - need to Google a bit and find out for yourself.

If I had the laptop with me and no need to keep any data, I should be able to troubleshoot and revert to original activated Win 8 in about 1 or 2 days (I'm slow but I do a proper job, unlike some shops that simply install a Enterprise version that expires in 180 days, and requires you to go back and pay them again, btw, I also know how to do the Enterprise reactivation but that's not a sustainable way or the correct way).

This post has been edited by weissPC: Jul 30 2019, 02:03 PM
TSairrin213 P
post Jul 30 2019, 09:12 PM

Probation
4 posts

QUOTE(weissPC @ Jul 30 2019, 01:47 PM)
Learnt it the hard way. Last time when they first intro the 2-in-1 and full fat Win tablets - no CD and no direct USB booting due to UEFI BIOS. Spent weeks troubleshooting and recovering from a crashed Win 8 OS.
TS, you can look for a program like that shown in the link if you want to get the activation key. I just googled it, and haven't tried it, few years ago when Win 8 was still the latest OS, I tried out until I found one program that's free and can extract the Windows key.

https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-recover-...-key-from-bios/

But really, there is no need to get the activation key. You just go to Dell website, key in your service code or s/n, find out the version that your laptop came with and then reinstall that version to the laptop. It should self activate (not sure internet connection is needed or not, forgot d).

The one thing I'm not sure is, whether Win 8.1 upgrade will mess up the activation - need to Google a bit and find out for yourself.

If I had the laptop with me and no need to keep any data, I should be able to troubleshoot and revert to original activated Win 8 in about 1 or 2 days (I'm slow but I do a proper job, unlike some shops that simply install a Enterprise version that expires in 180 days, and requires you to go back and pay them again, btw, I also know how to do the Enterprise reactivation but that's not a sustainable way or the correct way).
mine was written as window 8.1 pro and i will try loggin to dell and find solution. tyvm for the help biggrin.gif
Netter
post Aug 1 2019, 02:12 AM

Getting Started
60 posts

You could get your embedded Windows product key using the following command in cmd.exe.

wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/find-windows-product-key

You then can proceed to install Windows 10 Pro and activate it using Windows 8.1 Pro product key.
junclj
post Aug 2 2019, 04:08 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,297 posts

QUOTE(airrin213 @ Jul 29 2019, 10:20 PM)
Probably is FreeDOS if the laptop do not have COA sticker. You can better just download Windows 10 to do a clean installation. Buy a Windows 10 key from here,
https://shopee.com.my/Windows-10-Home-Pro-E...0791.2103707118

Please don't blame me for supporting the illegal key because I did bought the Windows shared key from these sellers and the keys are really working fine.
My last advise is why don't you just straight upgrade to Windows 10 Pro? The activation key just as cheap as RM5 only. Its really working fine and once you activated the Windows 10. The activation will always follow the motherboard BIOS. You do not necessary to keep or remember the key anymore. Windows 10 will keep activated forever no matter how many times you reformat your PC, the activation is still there.

This post has been edited by junclj: Aug 2 2019, 04:14 PM

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0139sec    0.74    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:06 PM