Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Guide Xiaomi MiJia Smart Door Lock Comprehensive Review, Review updated 17/9/19

views

TShikashi
post Mar 15 2021, 10:13 AM

Pusheeeeeeeett
1,055 posts

Typical pricing is around RM250 for normal installation. Bear in mind if you use security metal door frame it will be different price hehe. Some offer free installation too.
fruitie
post Mar 15 2021, 10:45 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,988 posts

QUOTE(hikashi @ Mar 15 2021, 10:13 AM)
Typical pricing is around RM250 for normal installation. Bear in mind if you use security metal door frame it will be different price hehe. Some offer free installation too.
Yeah, it is around RM 250.

Anyway, any thought of N100 vs N200? I could get RM 899 for N100 with installation while RM 999 for N200 without installation. If the difference is minimal, I may just opt for N100. tongue.gif
babybaby1988
post Apr 11 2021, 06:22 PM

Getting Started
259 posts

My aqara n200 keep blasting the alarm the first time I connect to it. Any idea what's happening? Can I just reset the whole thing
Silfer
post Apr 16 2021, 02:33 PM

Enthusiast
970 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Mar 15 2021, 10:45 AM)
Yeah, it is around RM 250.

Anyway, any thought of N100 vs N200? I could get RM 899 for N100 with installation while RM 999 for N200 without installation. If the difference is minimal, I may just opt for N100. tongue.gif
so fruitie, which one did you opt for?
fruitie
post Apr 16 2021, 02:34 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,988 posts

QUOTE(Silfer @ Apr 16 2021, 02:33 PM)
so fruitie, which one did you opt for?
I didn't get either one. If given these two choices, I will still go for N200.
Silfer
post Apr 16 2021, 02:56 PM

Enthusiast
970 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Apr 16 2021, 02:34 PM)
I didn't get either one. If given these two choices, I will still go for N200.
oh.. then you didn't get any smart lock in this case?
fruitie
post Apr 16 2021, 03:02 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,988 posts

QUOTE(Silfer @ Apr 16 2021, 02:56 PM)
oh.. then you didn't get any smart lock in this case?
I got another brand, from Abrain dealer. RM 899 includes of installation, I haven't tested myself as I haven't installed it. House is undergoing renovation now.
I guess should be OK... I still have igloohome padlock for my grille, so should be OK in term of protection.
eddie89
post Apr 25 2021, 08:13 AM

Getting Started
152 posts

QUOTE(hikashi @ Mar 3 2021, 02:37 PM)
I moved on to n100. Cheaper.
Could be mother board problem as it continues trigger the sensor. Draining battery as of result.
How's your experience with Aqara N100 so far? Thanks...
TShikashi
post Apr 25 2021, 08:13 PM

Pusheeeeeeeett
1,055 posts

QUOTE(eddie89 @ Apr 25 2021, 08:13 AM)
How's your experience with Aqara N100 so far? Thanks...
Working as intended.

farkingdom
post May 15 2021, 04:07 PM

On my way
527 posts

Just ordered N100e

Anyone use this?

Advertisement say got one click remote unlock, what it means though
Roan
post Jun 30 2021, 11:02 PM

28 posts

I have problem with pairing after reset. It said “device paired by another user, unpair first” when I already unpair. Any advice
Keng
post Aug 18 2021, 11:18 PM

Getting Started
140 posts

Anyone tried installing this to the metal grill. I intend to install it at the metal gate instead of the wooden door coz wooden door will be opened most of the time when someone's home but outside will be locked always coz condo
Tango_fellrunner P
post May 16 2022, 04:01 PM

Probation
8 posts

QUOTE(hikashi @ Jul 31 2019, 04:21 PM)
Unlocking

This Mijia Smart Door Lock boast 6 ways to unlock, mainly:
Fingerprint
Password
Bluetooth
NFC
Physical key

Fingerprint
Fingerprint setup requires MiHome app and in close proximity with the doorlock via direct bluetooth connection. Remote connection with bluetooth gateway will not work.

To setup new fingerprint, go to the door lock MiHome app, manage user and then add fingerprint. Place thumb finger or any other finger on the fingerprint scanner on the door handle for a few time, and done!

To unlock, place your thumb on the scanner. A white led ring will shine if the unlock successful, and a red led ring will appear if unsuccessful.
[attachmentid=10315821]
From my experience, the fingerprint scanner tends to fail with wet finger. And the scanning is not as blazing fast as the one in smartphone. A brief pause is required to validate the fingerprint, and then turn the handle to open the door. Scanning accuracy is on point as long as the finger is dry.

Password
You can set 3 type of password mainly:
User Password
A 6-12 number character can be added via manage user page. The password is tied to the user. Close proximity bluetooth connection required during setup.

Periodic Password
A 6-12 number character password can be added via setting page. The time validity of the password can be controlled. Close proximity bluetooth connection is required during setup. Best use for nanny, home cleaner or AirBNB!
[attachmentid=10315822]

One time Password
This one time password works like an authenticator. Password can only be viewed on setting page and password generated can only be used once within 15 minutes. No connection is required. Best used for visiting relative while you are away.
[attachmentid=10315825]

To enter via passcode, tap on the panel once to light up the keypad. Enter the correct passcode and press ✅ to confirm.

One cool implementation with the passcode unlock is its anti-peeping system. Say you have a passcode of 123456. You can enter any giberish number with your actual passcode in between. For example, entering 58892[123456]213 will unlock the door successfully. Anyone will have a hard time guessing the correct passcode.

If passcode is entered incorrectly for 5 times, the alarm will sound and passcode entry will be denied for 5 minute.

Bluetooth
I do find this pointless when you have fingerprint and passcode as an option. Otherwise, its a welcomed addition. To unlock using bluetooth, place your phone in close proximity with the door lock and bluetooth turned on. Head to the smartdoor lock app and long press the middle of lock icon on the main page  to unlock. Unlocking using Bluetooth gateway will not work for obvious safety reason.
[attachmentid=10315826]

NFC
I personally do not have experience with this as I do not have XiaoMi smartphone with NFC and MiBand 4 NFC edition as it only works with aforementioned devices. External chinese reviewers did mention NFC unlock is as cumbersome as bluetooth unlock. To unlock with NFC, u will need to open xiaomi NFC app, unlock app with finger print, and then place the phone on the NFC sensor on the panel. Which really defeat the purpose when you can place fingerprint directly on the doorlock.
[attachmentid=10315827]

Cant say the same for mi band 4. I'll update here when i have more information.

Physical key
2 sets of physical key are included in the box. Keys are made in dimple bump style for added security. (Yeah, you can insert lockpickinglawyer meme here). Any force entry attempt on the keyhole or key left on the keyhole for a period of time will trigger the alarm.

It is best practice to carry a physical key along for emergency purposes.

Automation
A door lock will not be called a smart door if there is no home automation associated to it! However, to enable this feature, a Bluetooth gateway is required. This MiJia smartdoor runs on BLE connectivity to conserve power instead of WiFi therefore a BLE gateway is needed for its IoT function.

Here i used xiaomi digital alarm clock as the BLE gateway. There are other BLE gateway that is compatible like Mi Bedside Lamp. Make sure the device is connected on China server.
[attachmentid=10315828]
BLE gateway connection is fully automatic so no further setup required. Status of the smart door will appear on the BLE gateway page when successful.

Once setup, you can set near any automation rule with any connected xiaomi device. Like, sending notification to phone when break in. Turning on mi vacuum or yeelight when enter using certain passcode. When condition is met you can even set DaFang camera to pan towards targeted area and upload to cloud!

Here is the list of the 'if' function related to the smartdoor.
[attachmentid=10315829]

Final thought
Although this is my first ownership experience with smartdoor lock, i am overall really satisfied with the lock as it does it job as a smart device and as a door lock.

Pros:
Excellent built quality.
Seemingly weatherproof
Real smart device with wide possibilities of automation rule
Sleek and discreet design
Fingerprint sensor strategically located on the door handle.
Beautiful App UI
Thoughtful safety features.

Cons:
Fingerprint detection can be hit and miss when finger is wet
Fingerprint reader can be a tad faster
Redundant Bluetooth and NFC unlocking function
No Zigbee connectivity.
Some part of the app riddled with poor english translation.
Some physical alterations are needed to fit into thinner door.
Recently i change to new handphone. However, i cannot connect the doorlock to the mijia apps in the new handphone. Anybody know why?
jasonchan323
post Apr 7 2023, 08:17 AM

Getting Started
71 posts

QUOTE(hikashi @ Feb 5 2020, 11:18 AM)
Yes. You dont need a bluetooth gateway to configure.

The fuction of the bluetooth gateway is to send push notification to your phone on the door status i.e. unlocked, intrusion etc, and also remote checking status of the door.

For safety purposes, you need to be physically in range with the door to configure the settings. They dont allow you to configure remotely.
Hi, other than checking the status of the door remotely. Can i open the door remotely if the door lock is connected to xiaomi bluetooth gateway?
TShikashi
post Apr 7 2023, 09:48 AM

Pusheeeeeeeett
1,055 posts

QUOTE(jasonchan323 @ Apr 7 2023, 08:17 AM)
Hi, other than checking the status of the door remotely. Can i open the door remotely if the door lock is connected to xiaomi bluetooth gateway?
Nope.
I moved on to Aqara N100. Can be unlock remotely.

This post has been edited by hikashi: Apr 7 2023, 09:50 AM
zzzhhhzzz
post Apr 12 2023, 07:57 AM

Regular
1,652 posts

anyone experiencing issues with the Xiaomi Smart lock ? I have installed it for about 3 years.. after verifying my fingerprint, sometimes it doesn't unlatch (can hear a soft sound the motor is turning the lock). Sometimes need to scan few times only it will unlatch... sounds a bit like the motor issue ?
brown-nation P
post Apr 22 2023, 03:35 PM

Probation
3 posts

Would you happen to have the original strike plate? I have misplaced mine and wish to buy just the plate

QUOTE(tintinn @ Jan 13 2020, 07:15 PM)
I was not able to video the installation today due to work commitment. Managed to see a bit from the CCTV at work.

Took the installer about 2 hours. He did have to use a drill and cutter to get the upper mechanism of the lock to go through, but other than that the dimension of the parts were spot on with the older lock. The original strike plate was kept as it is. The labour cost of installation was RM300.

I had to change region to China Mainland in order to get Xiaomi Home app to recognize the lock. Did not need to use VPN or a new account, just a matter of changing the location setting on the app.

Configuration was a breeze. Firmware update required a few tries before it was successful. NFC only works with Xiaomi phones. Fingerprint recognition was instantaneous so this is going to be the primary method of entry.

Overall it seems like a good buy for RM1199 (Shopee). Next plan is to get a Bluetooth WiFi gateway.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Tango_fellrunner P
post Apr 23 2023, 05:24 PM

Probation
8 posts

QUOTE(Tango_fellrunner @ May 16 2022, 04:01 PM)
Recently i change to new handphone. However, i cannot connect the doorlock to the mijia apps in the new handphone. Anybody know why?
Same goes to me recently. Until now only can lock / unlock the door.Have u found the solutions?
XweienX
post Oct 20 2023, 11:48 PM

Casual
452 posts

Hi sifus, anyone here using Aqara smart lock CN region without the hub but using Apple Homekit hub? Any functions that you're missing out because of that?

Am considering buying from TB because of the price difference, but scared got some functions cannot use. My main priotiy is apple homekit and can unlock remotely (which according to aqara website, if use homekit hub also can unlock remotely)

11 Pages « < 9 10 11Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0162sec    0.39    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:40 PM