Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

AMD and Dell Support are suck!

views

TSjack2
post Jul 25 2019, 02:04 PM, updated 5y ago

Mr
All Stars
14,363 posts

I am using Dell Precision M2800 and whenever there is windows new update, say the current update of build 1903, the update will fail at certain % as it is due to latest AMD display driver is not compatible and only the Dell display display is compatible but it is year 2015.

I contacted AMD support and they told me to use only the version issued by Dell.

The issue is, whenever there is windows update, my update was failed and hanged at certain % because of the display driver.

They kicked me to contact Dell but Dell Support was not response at all for this case.

The driver: AMD FirePro W4170M

This post has been edited by jack2: Jul 25 2019, 02:11 PM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
greyshadow
post Jul 25 2019, 02:19 PM

I bleed it out, Diggin' deeper just to throw it away!
1,826 posts

Any issue using the Dell driver from 2015?
and do you feel any difference when using the latest AMD driver?

If no, just stick with the Dell driver then

since your laptop is already about 5 years old, it's unlikely Dell will issue a new driver for that model, if no issue running it, just stick with it, no point insisting on using the latest AMD driver when it's causing issues.

I don't see how Dell or especially AMD supports sucks in this case.
seepott P
post Jul 25 2019, 02:22 PM

Probation
3 posts

Dell support totally joke. They replied my email 3 days later with zero solution.
TSjack2
post Jul 25 2019, 02:25 PM

Mr
All Stars
14,363 posts

QUOTE(greyshadow @ Jul 25 2019, 02:19 PM)
Any issue using the Dell driver from 2015?
and do you feel any difference when using the latest AMD driver?

If no, just stick with the Dell driver then

since your laptop is already about 5 years old, it's unlikely Dell will issue a new driver for that model, if no issue running it, just stick with it, no point insisting on using the latest AMD driver when it's causing issues.

I don't see how Dell or especially AMD supports sucks in this case.
I wanna stick with it but whenever windows issues update, I cant get it updated and hanged at certain % and I have identified it is due to display driver was downloaded and installed during the latest build.

if you can tell me how to get the latest windows build to get it successful updated, I will keep my mouth.

Although my laptop is 5 years old, I have latest SSD and I can use it to edit 4K video without issue. Performance wise is still good.

Also, I wanna highlight that this laptop has dual displays i.e. one intel build in and AMD embedded.

However, I cant even use the AMD one for my editing and all the time is using Intel build in to do editing.

The reason is, AMD locks the editing software for not using highest performance and hence, only Intel display is available for my editing software.

3 years ago I emailed to AMD and they told me they will release the latest version so they won't lock that editing software but they just talked cock.

Before I pumped them, they told me such lock was not intended by AMD but it is the editing provider who locked it. I countered back their claim to deny it as their claim was not logic and valid.

This post has been edited by jack2: Jul 25 2019, 02:30 PM
TSjack2
post Jul 25 2019, 02:52 PM

Mr
All Stars
14,363 posts

Read about the email in 2017, they finally admitted it is their issue after 3 months of communication to find out the issue belong to whom and Matt told me to contact me after having the release from their engineering department.

Since then, he had disappeared and even I contacted them again, no reply.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
sHawTY
post Jul 25 2019, 03:06 PM

Frequent Reporter
All Stars
14,629 posts

Have you tried this method?
Uninstall the AMD drivers using DDU and disable automatic driver download then proceed to upgrade to 1903
Once the update is done, re-install the AMD drivers

Also, use the Windows10Upgrade tool to do the upgrade instead of using Windows Update
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

user posted image
TSjack2
post Jul 25 2019, 03:08 PM

Mr
All Stars
14,363 posts

QUOTE(sHawTY @ Jul 25 2019, 03:06 PM)
Uninstall the AMD drivers using DDU and disable automatic driver download then proceed to upgrade to 1903

Also, use the Windows10Upgrade tool to do the upgrade instead of using Windows Update

user posted image
May I know what is DDU?

This post has been edited by jack2: Jul 25 2019, 03:10 PM
sHawTY
post Jul 25 2019, 03:31 PM

Frequent Reporter
All Stars
14,629 posts

QUOTE(jack2 @ Jul 25 2019, 03:08 PM)
May I know what is DDU?
Display Driver Uninstaller
TSjack2
post Jul 25 2019, 04:17 PM

Mr
All Stars
14,363 posts

QUOTE(sHawTY @ Jul 25 2019, 03:06 PM)

user posted image
QUOTE(sHawTY @ Jul 25 2019, 03:31 PM)
Display Driver Uninstaller
Did not work too. The display driver was uninstalled and run on windows 10 upgrade using tool and upon restarted, hanged at 48% which I believe the driver included the version is the latest one.
sHawTY
post Jul 25 2019, 06:01 PM

Frequent Reporter
All Stars
14,629 posts

QUOTE(jack2 @ Jul 25 2019, 04:17 PM)
Did not work too
Did you run DDU in Safe Mode & disable automatic driver download in the DDU option?

user posted image
TSjack2
post Jul 25 2019, 06:24 PM

Mr
All Stars
14,363 posts

QUOTE(sHawTY @ Jul 25 2019, 06:01 PM)
Did you run DDU in Safe Mode & disable automatic driver download in the DDU option?

user posted image
Where did you get this menu?

ihavenoidea
post Jul 25 2019, 06:36 PM

Regular
1,274 posts

Amd switchable graphic has always been a pain to set up.
Nvdia with optimus way easier and less hassle.

There used to have workaround like setting all to performance in radeon software to make the amd gpu active. Not sure for now.

TSjack2
post Jul 25 2019, 06:42 PM

Mr
All Stars
14,363 posts

QUOTE(ihavenoidea @ Jul 25 2019, 06:36 PM)
Amd switchable graphic has always been a pain to set up.
Nvdia with optimus way easier and less hassle.

There used to have workaround like setting all to performance in radeon software to make the amd gpu active. Not sure for now.
.I will never buy any AMD related computer and laptop..

I paid for the price but they locked it without letting me to set highest performance to opt GPU but to allow build in.
ihavenoidea
post Jul 25 2019, 06:55 PM

Regular
1,274 posts

QUOTE(jack2 @ Jul 25 2019, 06:42 PM)
.I will never buy any AMD related computer and laptop..
I paid for the price but they locked it without letting me to set highest performance to opt GPU but to allow build in.
its a problem with intel igpu and amd gpu, they never fixed or did something with it, the older version where you need to toggle the switch to activate the amd gpu was better but the driver is also shit, you can only get the driver from the laptop manufacturer.
but if it was amd apu + amd gpu, is totally fine.
and any mobile version of gpu has driver will have issue. my gt750m from nvdia has issue where it boost itself till it crash whenever im gaming. but nvdia with their optimus is way nicer with intel igpu
sHawTY
post Jul 25 2019, 07:07 PM

Frequent Reporter
All Stars
14,629 posts

QUOTE(jack2 @ Jul 25 2019, 06:24 PM)
Where did you get this menu?
user posted image
TSjack2
post Jul 25 2019, 07:07 PM

Mr
All Stars
14,363 posts

QUOTE(ihavenoidea @ Jul 25 2019, 06:55 PM)
its a problem with intel igpu and amd gpu, they never fixed or did something with it, the older version where you need to toggle the switch to activate the amd gpu was better but the driver is also shit, you can only get the driver from the laptop manufacturer.
but if it was amd apu + amd gpu, is totally fine.
and any mobile version of gpu has driver will have issue. my gt750m from nvdia has issue where it boost itself till it crash whenever im gaming. but nvdia with their optimus is way nicer with intel igpu
I wonder why they can exist until now.

The CEO, I even twisted her but no response.
TSjack2
post Jul 25 2019, 07:11 PM

Mr
All Stars
14,363 posts

What I dislike about them is, when I reported the locked issue that didn't allow me to set it to highest performance so the amd gpu was opted, they told me it was not their problem but to blame the editing software itself and asked me to check with them.

I checked with them and they told me they have no right to control such setting because they didn't have access to control the GPU driver. They asked me to contact them again.

Then, they only admitted that it was their issue.

It took me 6 months to communicate those all but at the end, they never committed on what had been promised.
TSjack2
post Jul 25 2019, 07:13 PM

Mr
All Stars
14,363 posts

What I dislike about them is, when I reported the locked issue that didn't allow me to set it to highest performance so the amd gpu was opted, they told me it was not their problem but to blame the editing software itself and asked me to check with them.

I checked with them and they told me they have no right to control such setting because they didn't have access to control the GPU driver. They asked me to contact them again.

Then, they only admitted that it was their issue.

It took me 6 months to communicate those all but at the end, they never committed on what had been promised.
TSjack2
post Jul 25 2019, 07:14 PM

Mr
All Stars
14,363 posts

QUOTE(sHawTY @ Jul 25 2019, 07:07 PM)
user posted image
I never see my driver has DDU.
sHawTY
post Jul 25 2019, 08:02 PM

Frequent Reporter
All Stars