Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Please provide proper description when you report a post. Report button abuse will earn you an automatic warn + suspension.

RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Absorbers for Iswara, Looking for a set of absorbers

fido
post Jul 1 2007, 12:25 AM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

Hi All,

Briefly, I'm a newbie in this forum as well newbie in automobiles. Hope you guys don't mind advising me on the following:

I drive a 14 year old Iswara and I'm happy with the condition of the car except the following:

I hate the sound which I'm hearing whenever I drive over rough surface (road) or couldn't avoid a pothole. I'm sorry I do not know how to explain the sound but I will try my best here. For instance, driving a Myvi over a rough surface, it seems to be very "quiet", only hearing "bmmm...bmmm". Whereas driving my Iswara over the same rough surface, it's very noisy from the inside of the car. It's like, the absorber is very hard / stiff / spoiled? I'm hearing "boink...bom..bom".

Anyway, I have friends who have been telling me that it's the lousy body of Iswara and I can't do anything about it, is this true? Also, I have friends who tells me that my Iswara does not use MacPherson absorbers (I'm not sure what is that blush.gif ) and that is the reason of the noisy/irritating sound whenever I driver over rough surface.

Do you guys mind advising if it's true that the noisy/irritating sound whenever I drive over a rough surface is due to body of Iswara or the absorber which I'm using?

Also, can you all advise if I were to go for a new set of stiff/firm absorbers and slightly lower down my car a little, maybe by an inch) with a tight budget of RM1500, which set should I or can I go for? (brand and any recommended workshop to get it done?)

Thanks a million in advance. Kindly advise if I missed out any important information which stops you guys from advising me.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
charlieoscardelta
post Jul 1 2007, 12:44 AM

Getting Started

TS,

Part of your answer here...hope it helps. http://www.autoworld.com.my/forum/allposts...rs+for+Iswara++

Noise could also come from insufficient dampening/worn noise damperners/worn or loose parts...after all it is a 14 yrs old car. Also have you replaced the shocks before? Generally, shocks should be changed about 3 yrs once or every 10,000 clicks IIMNW.

Worn shocks will cause uneven tyre wear.

My opinion, you should just go with the OEM shocks. No need to blow 1500 on something which may not even solve your problem. If the noise is result of worn shocks, changing it to new ones (any brand) will solve to a certain degree, your discomfort.

My 2cents.
+Quote Post
singchaii
post Jul 1 2007, 12:45 AM

~N0 Pa|n,N0 Ga|N~
Group: Senior Member

You can go to IMPROVE suspension maybe? I had just change my absorber into IMPROVE comfort.. Kinda good with the suspension.. Handling improve alot.
+Quote Post
tatayoung
post Jul 1 2007, 12:46 AM

I'm the boss of me...

Well..i drive a similar car and lemme assure you that i've sat in more thatn one iswara that has left me saying..."now that wasn't too bad.." honestly..with a budget of 1500bucks..you're already looking at hotbits adjustables...i'd suggets that you go for a set of brand new absorbers and springs for the front and rears n go for some higher profile tyres...they help alot for town driving..
+Quote Post
fido
post Jul 1 2007, 01:24 AM

Getting Started

Hi All,

Thanks for the quick response. Great to hear from you guys.

====================================================

[QUOTE]Noise could also come from insufficient dampening/worn noise damperners/worn or loose parts...after all it is a 14 yrs old car. Also have you replaced the shocks before? Generally, shocks should be changed about 3 yrs once or every 10,000 clicks IIMNW.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link and I have changed the rear absorber to those gas type, that was like ~6 years ago. The front ones have been replaced once but I don't remember when, maybe ~4 years ago. But I did check with normal workshops and they were saying that the condition of my absorbers are still fine. Normal workshops as in those whom I go to service my car. I told them about the irritating sound and they say that it's very common.

[QUOTE]My opinion, you should just go with the OEM shocks./QUOTE]

When you mention OEM shocks, are you referring to stiff ones or soft ones or they have both types?

[QUOTE]You can go to IMPROVE suspension maybe? I had just change my absorber into IMPROVE comfort.. Kinda good with the suspension.. Handling improve alot.[/QUOTE]

I'm trying to get a set which will not give me the "floating" feeling (I'm sorry I dont know what is the actual term) whenever I take curve at certain speed I'm "floating" left/right. So I really wanted to try stiff absorbers but I have never driven a car which has been mounted with stiff absorbers. So I do have concern in moving over to a set of stiff absorbers as well, are they very uncomfortable / noisy over bumps?

[QUOTE]Well..i drive a similar car [/QUOTE]

Do you get those loud "bump...bom...bom" sound whenever you drive over rough surface?

If I were to change to a new set of absorbers, do you mind recommending a workshop which you all normally go to? (in Petaling Jaya area)

+Quote Post
the_catacombs
post Jul 1 2007, 03:26 AM

8 stars wooo....

QUOTE(fido @ Jul 1 2007, 12:25 AM)
Hi All,

Briefly, I'm a newbie in this forum as well newbie in automobiles. Hope you guys don't mind advising me on the following:

I drive a 14 year old Iswara and I'm happy with the condition of the car except the following:

I hate the sound which I'm hearing whenever I drive over rough surface (road) or couldn't avoid a pothole. I'm sorry I do not know how to explain the sound but I will try my best here. For instance, driving a Myvi over a rough surface, it seems to be very "quiet", only hearing "bmmm...bmmm". Whereas driving my Iswara over the same rough surface, it's very noisy from the inside of the car. It's like, the absorber is very hard / stiff / spoiled? I'm hearing "boink...bom..bom".

Anyway, I have friends who have been telling me that it's the lousy body of Iswara and I can't do anything about it, is this true? Also, I have friends who tells me that my Iswara does not use MacPherson absorbers (I'm not sure what is that  blush.gif ) and that is the reason of the noisy/irritating sound whenever I driver over rough surface.

Do you guys mind advising if it's true that the noisy/irritating sound whenever I drive over a rough surface is due to body of Iswara or the absorber which I'm using?

Also, can you all advise if I were to go for a new set of stiff/firm absorbers and slightly lower down my car a little, maybe by an inch) with a tight budget of RM1500, which set should I or can I go for? (brand and any recommended workshop to get it done?)

Thanks a million in advance. Kindly advise if I missed out any important information which stops you guys from advising me.
the noise is due to bad sound proofing and the weak chassis of iswara.... thats iswara title as "tin kosong" or "tin milo" is not simply made up... we have proof for it... biggrin.gif

yes u can improve it... anything can be done, given budget is not a problem... first, autofoam ur car chassis.... autofoam is some kinda strengthening foam, injected into the car frame/chassis to give more rigidity and sound proofing to it... making it feels more solid.... next, u can do sound proofing to ur car.... add sound proofing material such as dynamat, insuflex, superlone, bitumen strip and so on.... with all that, u are not far behind myvi, and might be better than myvi in terms of sound proofing...

ur friends are telling u lies... iswara do have macpherson struts (in front only la)... even myvi also have macpherson struts at the front only....
macpherson struts is a kinda suspension design used by car manufacturers.... usually used by middle class cars.... high end luxury cars usually opt for double wishbone suspension....
learn more about car suspension here: http://www.carbibles.com/suspension_bible.html

with ur budget rm1.5k.... u can try get HWL adj coilovers.... they are quite good, and most important height adjustable... when u purchase it, try get their expert opinion on what spring rate and damping force u need to suit ur requirement....
try go to their manufacturing factory in sg buluh.... shop called Top Perfect.... there, they can customize the coilovers according to ur needs....

good luck....
+Quote Post
jssim
post Jul 1 2007, 03:34 AM

he~~~he~~~he~~~

wow, need adj suspension for stock car meh??
but for sure it give u a best handling, try to adj some camber for it,
u'll feel very 'song'!
+Quote Post
the_catacombs
post Jul 1 2007, 04:40 AM

8 stars wooo....

QUOTE(jssim @ Jul 1 2007, 03:34 AM)
wow, need adj suspension for stock car meh??
but for sure it give u a best handling, try to adj some camber for it,
u'll feel very 'song'!
even adjust front camber wont give u much difference... this is because of our car rear suspension design... saga iswara rear suspension isnt like wira (both front n rear are macpherson struts)... saga iswara rear end have the tendency to sway and roll about... thats why i suggest u adj coilovers if u really looking into performance rather than comfort...
+Quote Post
jssim
post Jul 1 2007, 04:53 AM

he~~~he~~~he~~~

sorry, i dun know the rear can't adj...
its that much diffrent after u fix ultra fender bar?
+Quote Post
the_catacombs
post Jul 1 2007, 06:45 AM

8 stars wooo....

QUOTE(jssim @ Jul 1 2007, 04:53 AM)
sorry, i dun know the rear can't adj...
its that much diffrent after u fix ultra fender bar?
more stable cornering with less chassis flex... recommended... thumbup.gif
+Quote Post
Xefron
post Jul 1 2007, 12:47 PM

UniFi En·thu·si·ast

the sifoo has spoken....
+Quote Post
fido
post Jul 1 2007, 02:23 PM

Getting Started

+Quote Post
the_catacombs
post Jul 1 2007, 03:16 PM

8 stars wooo....

QUOTE(Xefron @ Jul 1 2007, 12:47 PM)
the sifoo has spoken....
who who??.... whistling.gif

QUOTE(fido @ Jul 1 2007, 02:23 PM)
Thanks all,

I may not be doing the sound proofing thingy mentioned as it sounds expensive to me smile.gif I will consider changing to a stiff absorber at the recommended place. I will try to search for that place, if I can't, hope you guys don't mind me PM-ing you all for directions.

Thanks! If there are any other advice or place to check out the absorber, kindly go ahead and type them here, I will still check this thread! Thanks again.
muahahha... i dunno any workshop in KL.... me not KL ppl.... tongue.gif
+Quote Post
sonic_darkknight
post Jul 4 2007, 10:24 PM

Casual

QUOTE(fido @ Jul 1 2007, 02:23 PM)
Thanks all,

I may not be doing the sound proofing thingy mentioned as it sounds expensive to me smile.gif I will consider changing to a stiff absorber at the recommended place. I will try to search for that place, if I can't, hope you guys don't mind me PM-ing you all for directions.

Thanks! If there are any other advice or place to check out the absorber, kindly go ahead and type them here, I will still check this thread! Thanks again.
if you're serious about improving performance and NVH better go for strut bars like front tower strut bars, rear bar and fender bar, car will feel very solid with comfort ride and without the bumpy& stiff ride due to stiff abs
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
imperialrealcs
post Jul 5 2007, 12:14 AM

IMPERIAL DEATH STAR!

come to think of it, izzit worth to spent that much for a stock car?
u can opt for cheaper alternative n use the remaining money to upgrade ur wheel, or add some strut bar etc etc
+Quote Post
the_catacombs
post Jul 5 2007, 12:25 AM

8 stars wooo....

QUOTE(imperialrealcs @ Jul 5 2007, 12:14 AM)
come to think of it, izzit worth to spent that much for a stock car?
u can opt for cheaper alternative n use the remaining money to upgrade ur wheel, or add some strut bar etc etc
yes... better save money and change new car.... brows.gif
+Quote Post
3ric
post Jul 5 2007, 12:29 AM

Casual

I also having this problem wth my Cares model... mind i tumpang ur thread as well??.. wanna how much budget will it cost to change?
+Quote Post
Oly
post Jul 5 2007, 04:02 AM

Permanent Banned

last time my friend ask for front and rear is about rm 320 for front n rear...with workmanship...
+Quote Post
Chyan
post Jul 5 2007, 04:17 PM

영감 스타일

try sachs......a german oem suspention for protons......ect iswara

better than ori one and suits quite well cos its specially made for it.
+Quote Post
imperialrealcs
post Jul 5 2007, 05:40 PM

IMPERIAL DEATH STAR!

u can get my brand for less than rm250 n with alot of good comment on my thread biggrin.gif
feel free to click my siggy
+Quote Post
zendengoh
post Jul 5 2007, 06:47 PM

Getting Started

may be u can try the APM PERFORMAX!!
+Quote Post