--deleted--

This post has been edited by wasp81: Jul 26 2019, 07:04 AM
achong09
post Jul 22 2019, 02:13 PM

Regular
1,160 posts

QUOTE(Khai92 @ Jul 22 2019, 12:18 AM)
it's good to pump small portion to epf coz it has high percentage of return
you dont pay also can... prepare get letter from LHDN la... hahahaha if your salary income within certain bracket, have to pay one.. this is rules.. regardless u work from where??
nonexno
post Jul 22 2019, 03:19 PM

On my way
563 posts

QUOTE(Khai92 @ Jul 18 2019, 10:28 PM)
Like a contract role, I work remotely for sg company, do I have to pay income tax?
First thing is to determine your tax residency
i.e. where you stay for more than 60/90/180 days. If you got any kind of PR then check double tax treaty.

But you contract work is definitely taxable, just depends on which country's tax you will pay. I'm incline to say you have to pay in Malaysia given the limited info.

Nowadays, it's harder to hide from tax because they have access to your bank account. Unless your employee pays you in bit coin, hard cash or something with no train in the system.
topitup P
post Jan 5 2021, 08:41 AM

Probation
5 posts

QUOTE(ventolin @ Jul 21 2019, 01:35 AM)
Fortunately my employer outsourced all the local taxes & pension matter to a local HR partner here so they sort it out for me
Are you entitled to US 401k and benefits of the local employees too? And do you have to pay US tax as well?

wadzee95 P
post Jan 5 2021, 03:23 PM

Probation
21 posts

I am in your position, I'm freelancing for a UK company earning $3k/month. They pay me through Transferwise which I then transfer out to my local bank account.

Just talked to LHDN on this issue last week, here is what they told me.

If your income is taxed from the source country, you will not need to pay double the tax in MY (meaning tax free). But if your income is not taxed from the country of origin (ie, you get the full pay/gaji kasar), you will need to declare and pay the income tax in Malaysia IF you are a tax residence residing in Malaysia for more than 180 days.

Pretty sux eh? I though I'd get the zero income tax... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Oh well, since you're getting tax for it, might as well create your own company to receive the overseas income so that you can actually use it for loan approval lol. (Doing it this year for my overseas income)
Redshelf411
post Jan 5 2021, 10:09 PM

Enthusiast
800 posts

Question though - if you work freelance, are you expected to pay any taxes? If yes, starting from how much income are you earning?

kesvani
post Jan 5 2021, 11:43 PM

On my way
673 posts

What freelance only. You receive income from house rent to someone also need to calculate into tax
waghyu
post Jan 5 2021, 11:45 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,389 posts

QUOTE(Khai92 @ Jul 18 2019, 10:28 PM)
Like a contract role, I work remotely for sg company, do I have to pay income tax?
company is SG entity so thats overseas oncome, not taxable in MY but taxable in SG
waghyu
post Jan 5 2021, 11:47 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,389 posts

QUOTE(wadzee95 @ Jan 5 2021, 03:23 PM)
I am in your position, I'm freelancing for a UK company earning $3k/month. They pay me through Transferwise which I then transfer out to my local bank account.

Just talked to LHDN on this issue last week, here is what they told me.

If your income is taxed from the source country, you will not need to pay double the tax in MY (meaning tax free). But if your income is not taxed from the country of origin (ie, you get the full pay/gaji kasar), you will need to declare and pay the income tax in Malaysia IF you are a tax residence residing in Malaysia for more than 180 days.

Pretty sux eh? I though I'd get the zero income tax... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Oh well, since you're getting tax for it, might as well create your own company to receive the overseas income so that you can actually use it for loan approval lol. (Doing it this year for my overseas income)
You pay tax where there money derived. True.

Non residence is other issue, you pay taxes flat rates.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0122sec    0.32    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:33 PM