Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Plug fix for tyre puncture, Safe for highway use?

views

TSHornet
post Jul 16 2019, 10:42 PM, updated 5y ago

What?
4,250 posts

Had a puncture on my tyre by a screw, and was fix with the usual plug method.
Near the edge or the surface.

Is this plug method safe enough for highway travelling?

The tyre looks like it still have about 50% of thread lifespan still, but I'm not sure if its still safe for long distance travelling on highway?

Thanks
jayjaynyc
post Jul 16 2019, 10:51 PM

Getting Started
173 posts

QUOTE(Hornet @ Jul 16 2019, 10:42 PM)
Had a puncture on my tyre by a screw, and was fix with the usual plug method.
Near the edge or the surface.

Is this plug method safe enough for highway travelling?

The tyre looks like it still have about 50% of thread lifespan still, but I'm not sure if its still safe for long distance travelling on highway?

Thanks
Yes, if done properly, will be safe enough. But if the hole is on the sidewall or on the shoulder blocks of the tyre, it might be time to change the new tyres.
Pichu00
post Jul 16 2019, 10:56 PM

On my way
640 posts

Use soap water u can see still got leaking or not, if still paranoid can use dragon fruit skin juice put at that part will seal up properly ( alot taiwan tyre puncture product use dragon fruit to seal the tire one not joking)
Pichu00
post Jul 16 2019, 10:56 PM

On my way
640 posts

Use soap water u can see still got leaking or not, if still paranoid can use dragon fruit skin juice put at that part will seal up properly ( alot taiwan tyre puncture product use dragon fruit to seal the tire one not joking)
SilentForever
post Jul 17 2019, 07:57 PM

On my way
576 posts

Usually if at thread portion, should be fine. If shoulder or very close to sidewall, need to monitor the pressure. I had few instance where it leaks after 1-2 months and won't hold even after new plug because the tire flexes more on at shoulder/sidewall area. If directly at sidewall, just change it. Ultimately it depends on you, but if not directly at sidewall should be still fine.
Valentino46
post Jul 18 2019, 01:58 PM

On my way
638 posts

if i sell tires i would be happy to tell you its not safe and you should change your tire everytime you get a puncture no matter where the nail hit
Captain89
post Jul 18 2019, 10:08 PM

Simple person
3,056 posts

Yea it’s safe but budget abit. If you always cruising at high speed then change it better.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0141sec    0.17    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:46 PM