views

SUSjudehow
post Jul 19 2019, 01:56 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,118 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Jul 15 2019, 05:42 PM)
Get this to monitor battery state.
user posted image

If battery voltage fall below certain level then you will know it is time to change battery.
How much to get this monitor battery state? Thanks
Roman Catholic
post Jul 19 2019, 02:23 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,030 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Jul 15 2019, 05:42 PM)
Get this to monitor battery state.
user posted image

If battery voltage fall below certain level then you will know it is time to change battery.
Bro., I was thinking about this contraption but are you aware that for some batteries will be able to hold its voltage at a high above 12.6V but still be unable to crank the car !
abubin
post Jul 19 2019, 02:28 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

QUOTE(judehow @ Jul 19 2019, 01:56 PM)
How much to get this monitor battery state? Thanks
You can check prices in lazada/shopee. Or mrdiy also sell them. Price ranges from 15 to 25. Simple device but really necessary to monitor car battery level. Don't get suckered into getting those battery monitoring system that plug directly into your car and then monitor using apps. It's the same thing just doing it will more high class method.
abubin
post Jul 19 2019, 02:32 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Jul 19 2019, 02:23 PM)
Bro., I was thinking about this contraption but are you aware that for some batteries will be able to hold its voltage at a high above 12.6V but still be unable to crank the car !
Then it's not battery issue. Or you have a complicated car like hybrid or other non-normal design. I am talking about general cars here.
SUSjudehow
post Jul 19 2019, 02:33 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,118 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Jul 19 2019, 02:28 PM)
You can check prices in lazada/shopee. Or mrdiy also sell them. Price ranges from 15 to 25. Simple device but really necessary to monitor car battery level. Don't get suckered into getting those battery monitoring system that plug directly into your car and then monitor using apps. It's the same thing just doing it will more high class method.
It try check online mostly need fix on the car.
Roman Catholic
post Jul 19 2019, 02:39 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,030 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Jul 19 2019, 02:32 PM)
Then it's not battery issue. Or you have a complicated car like hybrid or other non-normal design. I am talking about general cars here.
No bro, this battery was removed from my friend's 1st generation Myvi, 12V Lead-acid battery, for investigation purposes, after a similar battery exploded. Just check the voltage and now it reads 12.93V despite being out of vehicle since 11 June 2019 ! This battery does not have the CCA to crank any car anymore.
Roman Catholic
post Jul 19 2019, 02:42 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,030 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Jul 19 2019, 02:28 PM)
Almost bought that just for the Apps service. LOL

Does that device test the battery's CCA as well, anyone ?

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Jul 19 2019, 02:43 PM
abubin
post Jul 19 2019, 05:24 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Jul 19 2019, 02:39 PM)
No bro, this battery was removed from my friend's 1st generation Myvi, 12V Lead-acid battery, for investigation purposes, after a similar battery exploded. Just check the voltage and now it reads 12.93V despite being out of vehicle since 11 June 2019 ! This battery does not have the CCA to crank any car anymore.
Well, that device is not 100%. For the price I am paying, it is good enough for me to monitor my battery health. Better than nothing right? At least I have an idea if my car battery voltage is draining fast or if my alternator is still working properly.

For CCA monitoring, you can tell from the sign when voltage drops badly during cranking. This is the same thing as using multimeter to check the battery. Difference is, you can see the voltage as you are cranking the car from inside. So while doing cold crank, if you see voltage drops to 10 then 9 and so on it's a good sign to start worrying and double check your battery.

LemonKnight
post Jul 19 2019, 06:06 PM

Getting Started
154 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Jul 19 2019, 02:42 PM)
Almost bought that just for the Apps service. LOL

Does that device test the battery's CCA as well, anyone ?
I got the remax one with 2 USB ports and it costed me RM35. And no, it only measures voltage and amperes used by the ports. There's no CCA feature on this thing.
Roman Catholic
post Jul 19 2019, 06:27 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,030 posts

QUOTE(LemonKnight @ Jul 19 2019, 06:06 PM)
I got the remax one with 2 USB ports and it costed me RM35. And no, it only measures voltage and amperes used by the ports. There's no CCA feature on this thing.
Bro, sorry for my misleading statement. I believe that abubin and i were referring to the device that comes with the Smartphone App. The problem when writing about things when names are not included, is that it can bring about LOD when things are interpreted in the wrong light, hence generic terms are use instead and that creates slight confusion. Trust that you will understand.
Roman Catholic
post Jul 19 2019, 06:41 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,030 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Jul 19 2019, 05:24 PM)
Well, that device is not 100%. For the price I am paying, it is good enough for me to monitor my battery health. Better than nothing right? At least I have an idea if my car battery voltage is draining fast or if my alternator is still working properly.

For CCA monitoring, you can tell from the sign when voltage drops badly during cranking. This is the same thing as using multimeter to check the battery. Difference is, you can see the voltage as you are cranking the car from inside. So while doing cold crank, if you see voltage drops to 10 then 9 and so on it's a good sign to start worrying and double check your battery.

Thanks man for the video, now I understand what youre looking for. However, the guy in the video installed the battery incorrectly when fixing the terminals, but you would have spotted that I guess.

Here's something I would like to share with everyone from my mechanic whose been struck down by stroke. He advised me to test out every new battery that the poles are correctly fixed during assembly in the factory.

What happened was, there was an occasion where he fitted a new battery and it when the car was crank, i can only imagine the mess it created. The +ve was indeed a -ve, while a -ve was the +ve inside the battery. How did this battery escape QC is anyone guess but I am guessing that it could have been made illegally, instead from an established battery manufacturer.

Lesson here is better to risk damaging a multimeter than damaging todays modern car with all the electronics.

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Jul 19 2019, 08:27 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0128sec    0.28    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:48 AM