got unauthorized devices connect to my wifi

views

SilentVampire
post Aug 3 2019, 07:31 PM

Networking Enthusiast
5,706 posts

QUOTE(Aspick @ Aug 3 2019, 12:57 PM)
Sorry to tumpang on this topic

Wanna know if i allow guests to login to my guest wifi, can they hack into my router? And then install some kind of virus or trojans that will infect my main network?
They technically can, but it is going to be very hard to do. As for installing virus or Trojans, no.
john123x
post Aug 3 2019, 07:36 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,850 posts

for starters, i kinda shocked when i see the DHCP lease time.

Aspick
post Aug 3 2019, 10:53 PM

Getting Started
187 posts

QUOTE(duckmanV @ Aug 3 2019, 07:27 PM)
They can look under ur modem/router(gateway) for the user:pass(or default login admin:admin or Bruteforce lol) that allow them to login to the router via their device to your router and mess up the setting, it's not possible to implement virus/trojan as router(gateway) don't have their own OS. The only way to infect your router is to modified the firmware, cause router to not usable or infected.
Change your router admin password
use WPA2
use Whitelist filter (why not blacklist you asked? Because if one would like to brute force your router they can't)

optional
Buy a better brand router that comes with a good firewall feature (Asus) rclxms.gif
Thanks for the explanation.

For routers, isn't all branded routers like TP-Link, Dlink or even Tenda have firewall features similar as Asus?

QUOTE(SilentVampire @ Aug 3 2019, 07:31 PM)
They technically can, but it is going to be very hard to do. As for installing virus or Trojans, no.
At least assuring to know virus or trojans can't infect routers directly.

What if we want to ensure 100% that our guest (who may be a good hacker) will not be able to hack into our router hosting our main network (say 192.168.0.xxx). Will linking up another router as AP with a separate network (say 192.168.1.xxx) for guest wifi be a safer option?
SilentVampire
post Aug 4 2019, 10:25 AM

Networking Enthusiast
5,706 posts

QUOTE(Aspick @ Aug 3 2019, 10:53 PM)
Thanks for the explanation.

For routers, isn't all branded routers like TP-Link, Dlink or even Tenda have firewall features similar as Asus?
At least assuring to know virus or trojans can't infect routers directly.

What if we want to ensure 100% that our guest (who may be a good hacker) will not be able to hack into our router hosting our main network (say 192.168.0.xxx). Will linking up another router as AP with a separate network (say 192.168.1.xxx) for guest wifi be a safer option?

Yes, that will be a safer option. It is on a different network segment, so should be safe.

This post has been edited by SilentVampire: Aug 4 2019, 10:26 AM
Aspick
post Aug 4 2019, 12:19 PM

Getting Started
187 posts

QUOTE(SilentVampire @ Aug 4 2019, 10:25 AM)
Yes, that will be a safer option. It is on a different network segment, so should be safe.
Thanks for clarifying 👌

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0140sec    0.61    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:23 PM