Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

BMW vs Mazda vs Ford., Looking for replacement car.

Which should I buy?

2017 BMW X5 (PHEV) [ 27 ] ** [30.34%]
2019 Mazda CX-9 (AWD) [ 58 ] ** [65.17%]
2019 Ford Everest 2.0T (AWD) [ 4 ] ** [4.49%]
Total Votes: 89
Guests cannot vote 
views

4WD_er
post Jul 14 2019, 03:43 PM

Casual
459 posts

QUOTE(BillCollector @ Jul 12 2019, 11:34 PM)
We did consider one but preferred the Kia Sorento but a bit concerned the engine isn't suited for the B10 and later on B20 diesel that would be sold here.
I did consider CX-9, Fortuner 2.4D VRZ & Sorento 2.2 D last year when I dumped by A6 hybrid.

At the end CX-9 is out as the price is exorbitant, beyond reasonable. Practically you are paying a lot of duty & tax for almost the same car. Plus the fuel consumption of the so called skyactiv 2.5 Turbo engine is pretty high. Fair enough given the fact that the car weights close to 2 ton.

Next was Fortuner, emm...the 3rd row is hardly usable for normal size adult. And during test drive I did not feel where the 170 HP and 420NM of torque at all. The car just moves with speed so slowly.

And now happy with my first Korea SUV biggrin.gif Cheap to own, cheap to run. Did few trips to/fro KL with 6 adult onboard with luggages, all no issue. Still returned a respectable FC of 14-15km/litre on those round trips.

🀜🀜 Fortuner tongue.gif
Attached Image
ze2
post Jul 15 2019, 12:01 PM

Getting Started
253 posts

do a search on the X5 for issues to know more about it.
SUSBillCollector
post Jul 15 2019, 12:47 PM

Enthusiast
818 posts

QUOTE(KingArthurVI @ Jul 13 2019, 08:31 PM)
Aside from the other problems mentioned about the X5, it’s just not a very good looking car. The CX-9 looks amazing and I think Mazda has really upped their interior game. Have you test driven any of these cars yet?
The only one I have tested was the Kia Sorento but concerned about the suitability of diesel fuels here and Euro5 is not as easily available once you leave major urban areas.

Ford, they asked me to test a Ford Ranger Wildtrack with the same engine and gearbox told me it is identical in terms of feel. No test drive or display units exist I was told.

The BMW, not had a chance to test one yet.

Mazda, the showroom near me does not have one on standby other than by appointment and each time one is available I am no where near.

QUOTE(4WD_er @ Jul 14 2019, 03:43 PM)
I did consider CX-9, Fortuner 2.4D VRZ & Sorento 2.2 D last year when I dumped by A6 hybrid.

At the end CX-9 is out as the price is exorbitant, beyond reasonable.  Practically you are paying a lot of duty & tax for almost the same car.  Plus the fuel consumption of the so called skyactiv 2.5 Turbo engine is pretty high.  Fair enough given the fact that the car weights close to 2 ton.

Next was Fortuner, emm...the 3rd row is hardly usable for normal size adult.  And during test drive I did not feel where the 170 HP and 420NM of torque at all.  The car just moves with speed so slowly.

And now happy with my first Korea SUV biggrin.gif  Cheap to own, cheap to run.  Did few trips to/fro KL with 6 adult onboard with luggages, all no issue.  Still returned a respectable FC of 14-15km/litre on those round trips.

🀜🀜 Fortuner tongue.gif
Attached Image
Thanks for the feedback.

Are you happy with the Sorento? How has the after sales service been? Did you also consider the sister car to it the Hyundai Santa Fe?

Not too keen on the Fortuner, it felt as unstable as the generation of Ford Explorers that would flip when its tires burst which it did very often due to the Firestone tires.
squalluz
post Jul 16 2019, 11:10 AM

Getting Started
131 posts

CX-9 third row is very pathetic, even children will go restless if you put them there in a prolonged period of time
4WD_er
post Jul 16 2019, 02:08 PM

Casual
459 posts

QUOTE(BillCollector @ Jul 15 2019, 12:47 PM)

Are you happy with the Sorento? How has the after sales service been? Did you also consider the sister car to it the Hyundai Santa Fe?

Not too keen on the Fortuner, it felt as unstable as the generation of Ford Explorers that would flip when its tires burst which it did very often due to the Firestone tires.
I would answer your questions separately :

1. Are you happy with the Sorento?

Yes, like I said earlier. The car is cheap to own, cheap to run, fairly comfortable, adequately powerful.

2. How has the after sales service been?

For me that was pretty simple affair. So far only gone back for 2 free services. I got the deal of 3 years free service package. No issue so far. The most common issue faced by other owners are (1) battery last less than 2 year (2) brake pads need replacement after 50k km [brake is very grippy]

3. Did you also consider the sister car to it the Hyundai Santa Fe?

No I didn't, I bought the car when the facelift was first came out, back in Sep 2018. The new santa fe only launched in June 2019. They are essentially the same car, same engine, same seats, chasis, suspension, etc etc only wear different skins. While Sorento 2.2D is going for 10k discount now, the new santa fe effective cost RM40k extra having almost the same specifications but crucially without 3rd row aircond vents !!

I reckon that even it was available back then, I would have chosen Sorento still. I like the muscular look of Sorento, and dislike the sissify looks of Santa fe rear end.

SUSBillCollector
post Jul 16 2019, 06:34 PM

Enthusiast
818 posts

QUOTE(squalluz @ Jul 16 2019, 11:10 AM)
CX-9 third row is very pathetic, even children will go restless if you put them there in a prolonged period of time
That is certainly true.

QUOTE(4WD_er @ Jul 16 2019, 02:08 PM)
I would answer your questions separately :

1. Are you happy with the Sorento?

Yes, like I said earlier.  The car is cheap to own, cheap to run, fairly comfortable, adequately powerful. 

2. How has the after sales service been?

For me that was pretty simple affair.  So far only gone back for 2 free services.  I got the deal of 3 years free service package.  No issue so far.  The most common issue faced by other owners are (1) battery last less than 2 year (2) brake pads need replacement after 50k km  [brake is very grippy]

3. Did you also consider the sister car to it the Hyundai Santa Fe?

No I didn't, I bought the car when the facelift was first came out, back in Sep 2018.  The new santa fe only launched in June 2019.  They are essentially the same car, same engine, same seats, chasis, suspension, etc etc only wear different skins.  While Sorento 2.2D is going for 10k discount now, the new santa fe effective cost RM40k extra having almost the same specifications but crucially without 3rd row aircond vents !!

I reckon that even it was available back then, I would have chosen Sorento still.  I like the muscular look of Sorento, and dislike the sissify looks of Santa fe rear end.
Thank you for sharing. Will consider one as well

The pricing of the Sorento did make me wonder whether someone was under-declaring or someone was making huge profits on each car sold.
dylan_chng
post Jul 16 2019, 06:37 PM

On my way
658 posts

While the passage way into the third row is limited, the third row is geniuenly spacious even for a 6 footer.
MeToo
post Jul 16 2019, 06:37 PM

Look at all my stars!!
9,297 posts

Those who says CX-9 didnt notice Mazda malaysia inflated the car price by an additional RM100k....
4WD_er
post Jul 17 2019, 09:39 AM

Casual
459 posts

QUOTE(squalluz @ Jul 16 2019, 11:10 AM)
To be honest, that is applicable to most of 7 seat SUVs too.

In term of the seat itself, the 3rd row seats of CX-9 are bigger, and the passengers curve their legs less. However as the 2nd row seat are thick, there is very little room to stow your foot under the 2nd row seats. And no AIR COND ! bangwall.gif Knee room of 2nd row seat actually less than Sorento, so not much room to move forward to give more space to the back.

3rd Row (tester 175cm)
user posted image
2nd Row
user posted image

As for Sorento, the 3rd row seats are a bit smaller than CX-9, positioned lower meaning the passengers curve up their legs more, less knee room if 2nd row push all the way back. But you have much more space to stow your foot under the 2nd row seats. And has individual AIR COND vent. Knee room can easily be increased by having the 2nd row to move forward.

3rd Row (tester 177cm)
user posted image
2nd Row
user posted image
SUSBillCollector
post Jul 19 2019, 12:38 PM

Enthusiast
818 posts

After finally test driving the Mazda CX-9 and a BMW X5 Hybrid yesterday decided both isn't what we need.

The Mazda is a nice one no doubt but feel it relies too much on the turbo for much of its performance.

The X5 I was quite inclined with it but felt there was something about it that was missing when the battery was regenerating in the same way the Mazda felt it relied too much on the turbo the same could be said about the X5 relying too much on the electric motor.

In the end I decided to buy a Kia Sorento. Did a test drive and whatever both those 2 had that this one did not have is more than made up by the fact that it is RM100,000 cheaper.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0366sec    0.20    8 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:50 AM