Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Disappointing with Asus Zenbook

views

TSbiruNippon
post Jul 11 2019, 12:09 AM, updated 5y ago

Casual
334 posts

My old Asus Zenbook model is Model UX31A

It has only 4 GB of Ram and 128 GB of storage.

As some of you may know, recently my Zenbook got problem, so i brought to shop to fix.

Decided to change the keyboard and upgrade both SSD and RAM.

Shopkeepers told me, the SSD that compatible to my zenbook, whole malaysia no stock, need to order oversea and the price is very expensive.

Meanwhile, there are no additional SSD slot, the 4GB ram is built-in to motherboard, so can't upgrade RAM as well.

He said most Asus laptop is like that. Is it really like that? But why he wanna scam me when I am giving him business?

So now i got this ultrabook that can't upgrade SSD and RAM. 128GB of storage and 4GB of ram is barely enough nowadays *sigh*

user posted image

This post has been edited by biruNippon: Jul 11 2019, 12:09 AM
xerox8908
post Jul 11 2019, 01:28 AM

Look at all my stars
2,724 posts

Nowadays people are hard to satisfy . A laptop that work 7 years in a row can be label as disappointment .

Anyway it's buyer responsibility to survey the laptop ram soldered or not when buy . Not asus fault at all if buyer find out the ram is soldered after 7 years .

An adaptor for ssd is easy to find as well .

This post has been edited by xerox8908: Jul 11 2019, 01:30 AM
ZM Fong
post Jul 11 2019, 01:21 PM

Laptop advisor
8,240 posts

QUOTE(biruNippon @ Jul 11 2019, 12:09 AM)

As some of you may know, recently my Zenbook got problem, so i brought to shop to fix.

Shopkeepers told me, the SSD that compatible to my zenbook, whole malaysia no stock, need to order oversea and the price is very expensive.

Meanwhile, there are no additional SSD slot, the 4GB ram is built-in to motherboard, so can't upgrade RAM as well.

He said most Asus laptop is like that. Is it really like that? But why he wanna scam me when I am giving him business?

So now i got this ultrabook that can't upgrade SSD and RAM. 128GB of storage and 4GB of ram is barely enough nowadays *sigh*
Most Zenbooks have non-upgradeable RAM - that's why I always ask users whether they mind about this when recommending laptops (users should also do their own research)

It's a mSATA SSD which is rare...buy aftermarket also hard to find

Always do you own research when buying laptops..or come forum ask for suggestions - don't hear what sales person said

This post has been edited by ZM Fong: Jul 11 2019, 01:22 PM
LeeroyJenkinss
post Jul 11 2019, 01:28 PM

Getting Started
131 posts

user posted image
The sales person is not really scamming you, you just need to know more about the tech itself, and older parts are harder to get due to demand and life-span, so you only can suck it up and buy from overseas with more expensive price if you still want to upgrade
ZM Fong
post Jul 11 2019, 02:58 PM

Laptop advisor
8,240 posts

QUOTE(LeeroyJenkinss @ Jul 11 2019, 01:28 PM)
The sales person is not really scamming you, you just need to know more about the tech itself
Well I would say the sales person is convincing him...not scam
TSbiruNippon
post Jul 11 2019, 03:49 PM

Casual
334 posts

QUOTE(xerox8908 @ Jul 11 2019, 01:28 AM)
Nowadays people are hard to satisfy . A laptop that work 7 years in a row can be label as disappointment .

Anyway it's buyer responsibility to survey the laptop ram soldered or not when buy . Not asus fault at all if buyer find out the ram is soldered after 7 years .

An adaptor for ssd is easy to find as well .
Because I can't afford to buy a new laptop, that's why i feel disappointed when my zenbook can't be upgrade sad.gif

I do able to save money, but all the saving is for deposit of my first house. That's why i can't use it to buy something else.

Adaptor for SSD? what is that?

Although is buyer responsibility, i think many seller didn't inform buyer about this and buyer that are not tech savvy like me simply will not realise it. I hope this thread can be a lesson to potential laptop buyer, so that they will ask the seller about this.

QUOTE(ZM Fong @ Jul 11 2019, 01:21 PM)
Most Zenbooks have non-upgradeable RAM - that's why I always ask users whether they mind about this when recommending laptops (users should also do their own research)

It's a mSATA SSD which is rare...buy aftermarket also hard to find

Always do you own research when buying laptops..or come forum ask for suggestions - don't hear what sales person said
Sorry, recently a lot of things happened, i am not in the right mind. My akal a bit cacat nowadays, I actually plan to seek advice from you guys, dunno why it ended up as a ranting thread.

So the sales person was telling the truth. Cannot upgrade RAM and the mSATA SSD is rare and hard to find.

Do you have any suggestion for me? Thank you

QUOTE(LeeroyJenkinss @ Jul 11 2019, 01:28 PM)
The sales person is not really scamming you, you just need to know more about the tech itself, and older parts are harder to get due to demand and life-span, so you only can suck it up and buy from overseas with more expensive price if you still want to upgrade
I see. yea, he is not scammimg me, not sure why i used the word "scam". SO he was telling the truth.
ZM Fong
post Jul 11 2019, 03:51 PM

Laptop advisor
8,240 posts

QUOTE(biruNippon @ Jul 11 2019, 03:49 PM)
You have budget now?
xerox8908
post Jul 11 2019, 03:57 PM

Look at all my stars
2,724 posts

Because I can't afford to buy a new laptop, that's why i feel disappointed when my zenbook can't be upgrade sad.gif

I do able to save money, but all the saving is for deposit of my first house. That's why i can't use it to buy something else.

Although is buyer responsibility, i think many seller didn't inform buyer about this and buyer that are not tech savvy like me simply will not realise it. I hope this thread can be a lesson to potential laptop buyer, so that they will ask the seller about this.
Sorry, recently a lot of things happened, i am not in the right mind. My akal a bit cacat nowadays, I actually plan to seek advice from you guys, dunno why it ended up as a ranting thread.

So the sales person was telling the truth. Cannot upgrade RAM and the mSATA SSD is rare and hard to find.

I see. yea, he is not scammimg me, not sure why i used the word "scam". SO he was telling the truth.
user posted image

And use any m.2 ssd . Cheap and easy . 4gb ram is enough for basic stuff . Just upgrade ssd and use until you got money to buy another laptop . Can transfer the m.2 ssd to new laptop as well .
LeeroyJenkinss
post Jul 11 2019, 04:38 PM

Getting Started
131 posts

Suggestion wise, if you still want to keep the old zenbook and want to upgrade, you can try have a look online for the parts, some shop might sell it cheap depending on your luck. But to be honest, getting a new one are more worthwhile, especially usage experience
dman
post Jul 11 2019, 05:06 PM

On my way
514 posts

user posted image
Haha same la, I've got one old acer w700 also cant upgrade ram and storage as storage using the rare MSata and ram is soldered in.

Now it running slow and low storage and i treat it just for doing light surfing and watching netflix/ youtube.

TSbiruNippon
post Jul 11 2019, 11:00 PM

Casual
334 posts

QUOTE(ZM Fong @ Jul 11 2019, 03:51 PM)
You have budget now?
You are proposing to buy a new laptop instead?

QUOTE(xerox8908 @ Jul 11 2019, 03:57 PM)
user posted image

And use any m.2 ssd . Cheap and easy . 4gb ram is enough for basic stuff . Just upgrade ssd and use until you got money to buy another laptop . Can transfer the m.2 ssd to new laptop as well .
I didn't know got such adapter, thank you for sharing with me notworthy.gif

QUOTE(LeeroyJenkinss @ Jul 11 2019, 04:38 PM)
Suggestion wise, if you still want to keep the old zenbook and want to upgrade, you can try have a look online for the parts, some shop might sell it cheap depending on your luck. But to be honest, getting a new one are more worthwhile, especially usage experience
Yea I know, because this laptop, even the processor also old already, no longer able to keep up tht much. Nowadays, even Chrome also Ram hungry *sigh*

QUOTE(dman @ Jul 11 2019, 05:06 PM)
Haha same la, I've got one old acer w700 also cant upgrade ram and storage as storage using the rare MSata and ram is soldered in.

Now it running slow and low storage and i treat it just for doing light surfing and watching netflix/ youtube.
So you went and bought a new laptop as well? This is just your backup laptop or laptop for leisure...
ZM Fong
post Jul 11 2019, 11:35 PM

Laptop advisor
8,240 posts

QUOTE(biruNippon @ Jul 11 2019, 11:00 PM)
You are proposing to buy a new laptop instead?
Since the laptop aldy 7 yrs old...time to change imo...of course it depends on whether you want to spend or not
dman
post Jul 12 2019, 09:40 AM

On my way
514 posts

QUOTE(biruNippon @ Jul 11 2019, 11:00 PM)
So you went and bought a new laptop as well? This is just your backup laptop or laptop for leisure...
Ya waiting for the new laptop to be shipped over.

Bought new one also due to the old processor really cant cope well to today's standard as the new one are much more powerful.

A decent new laptop are even cheaper than new ipong nowadays so i think it's a fair purchase decision.

I will leave the my current laptop as my secondary /backup/ leisure usage till to it's demise.

TSbiruNippon
post Jul 12 2019, 09:25 PM

Casual
334 posts

QUOTE(ZM Fong @ Jul 11 2019, 11:35 PM)
Since the laptop aldy 7 yrs old...time to change imo...of course it depends on whether you want to spend or not
What is the minimum budget you think i shall have to buy a decent laptop that can games occasionally like D3, CS Go and even to photoshop on top of the normal browsing and writing documents?

QUOTE(dman @ Jul 12 2019, 09:40 AM)
Ya waiting for the new laptop to be shipped over.

Bought new one also due to the old processor really cant cope well to today's standard as the new one are much more powerful.

A decent new laptop are even cheaper than new ipong nowadays so i think it's a fair purchase decision.

I will leave the my current laptop as my secondary /backup/ leisure usage till to it's demise.
What laptop did you bought? Lenovo? what model?
ZM Fong
post Jul 12 2019, 10:08 PM

Laptop advisor
8,240 posts

QUOTE(biruNippon @ Jul 12 2019, 09:25 PM)
What is the minimum budget you think i shall have to buy a decent laptop that can games occasionally like D3, CS Go and even to photoshop on top of the normal browsing and writing documents?
What laptop did you bought? Lenovo? what model?
Depends on how high your requirements...and also prefer Ultrabook/regular laptop or gaming laptop

I'm using Legion Y530, see my sig

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0139sec    0.20    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:53 AM