Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Headlight restoration

views

SUSjudehow
post Jul 10 2019, 11:37 PM, updated 5y ago

Look at all my stars!!
4,118 posts

How much to do headlight restoration? Any shop recommend? Shop wgich is honest n good Thank you.
patienceGNR
post Jul 11 2019, 01:25 AM

♥ Ride All Day ♥
2,022 posts

Depending on what the condition is la. If it's just turning yellowish just use 3M headlight restoration kit lo.
iskazulka
post Jul 11 2019, 08:37 AM

Getting Started
62 posts

QUOTE(judehow @ Jul 10 2019, 11:37 PM)
How much to do   headlight restoration?  Any shop recommend?  Shop wgich is honest n good Thank you.
iinm range from rm80 - rm150 per pair

one of shop
https://www.facebook.com/lampukeretamercik/

This post has been edited by iskazulka: Jul 11 2019, 08:47 AM
Chrix
post Jul 11 2019, 11:01 AM

Regular
1,082 posts

While many do polishing... which are the ones that apply new layer of protection after?

I also curious..
6UE5T
post Jul 11 2019, 01:05 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

I just DIY
LemonKnight
post Jul 11 2019, 03:20 PM

Getting Started
154 posts

QUOTE(Chrix @ Jul 11 2019, 11:01 AM)
While many do polishing... which are the ones that apply new layer of protection after?

I also curious..
It's hard to find those headlamp sealants here in Malaysia. I know they exist, but they also cost like RM50 per bottle. I usually ask the detailer to add normal car wax on top of the headlamp.

Anyway, to answer TS' question, go to car washes or car detailers. Expect to pay more than RM60 to clean the headlamps.
JZenith
post Jul 11 2019, 03:24 PM

Look at my stars. owai
697 posts

some bangla car wash got do headlight restore. like RM40.
wont go wrong/mess up.
or you can just DIY yourself. youtube have alot of videos on this.
abubin
post Jul 11 2019, 03:55 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

I have tried a few DIY headlamp restoration. For best results, you must sand the surface. After done sanding, apply a layer of coating.

Don't get those small bottle coating. Those are in consistent. Get the one with spray. Works great for me.

Or you can try using toothpaste method. Works for some people.
Thrust
post Jul 11 2019, 07:29 PM

Power To The People!!!
3,690 posts

Basically, after sanding and polishing, you need to apply few layers of clear coating to prevent UV ray from turning the headlight yellowish.
DreMAx
post Jul 11 2019, 08:42 PM

Nature's Best Music
3,799 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Jul 11 2019, 03:55 PM)
I have tried a few DIY headlamp restoration. For best results, you must sand the surface. After done sanding, apply a layer of coating.

Don't get those small bottle coating. Those are in consistent. Get the one with spray. Works great for me.

Or you can try using toothpaste method. Works for some people.
The toothpaste method did work for me but mine was just a little yellow. I guess the tooth paste method also depends on how bad the condition of the head lamps are as well.
SUSAllnGap
post Aug 31 2019, 08:55 PM

[ Modding with Passion(tm) ]
4,561 posts

QUOTE(Thrust @ Jul 11 2019, 07:29 PM)
Basically, after sanding and polishing, you need to apply few layers of clear coating to prevent UV ray from turning the headlight yellowish.
I did mine and got orange peel effect.
Dunno what is wrong maybe surface prepat not good enough
netmatrix
post Sep 1 2019, 02:18 PM

The machine... it sees everything.
6,491 posts

The truth is, once the headlight fades, the protective UV layer is gone. Thats why the lens go faded and change color.

But i will tech you a method that 100% works.

Get a tube of this,

user posted image

Squeeze some on an old rag and rub on the headlight. Rub it like you are scrubbing stains of surface. You can see immediate results after this. Also you may never get back the crystal clear lens due to the age of the plastic. Most that has good results are around 5 years. Anything 8 years above would still have some yellowish tint on plastic. This would last around 2-3 months depending on how often it rains. Then do it again. For less than RM15, it is a steal.

For longer lasting result, after cleaning with autosol plastic, should use this,

user posted image

https://www.lazada.com.my/products/meguiars...ASABEgKTxvD_BwE

It is very expensive but should provide the desired results for at least a year of clear lens until next application. But i'm not using this because i am stingy. Also the lights on my car require replacing because they are 10 year old and can't be salvaged for factory clarity.

PS : Why toothpaste does not work? Because the rubbing agent is too fine.
Why brake fluid does not work? Because it has only solvent properties but no rubbing agent.
Why clear spray paint won't last? Because it does not have UV inhibitors.
faujc99
post Nov 11 2020, 04:45 PM

Getting Started
153 posts

Found this Cerakote Headlights Restoration kit. Product from US, they give lifetime warranty, or as long as u own the car. Tried and tested, have to say it is amazing. Solved my problem once and for all! Better than meguiar's definitely

I attach a link for you guys in case u all wanna have a look

https://shopee.com.my/*Lifetime-WARRANTY-CE...4206.4857689246
abubin
post Nov 11 2020, 06:48 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

How does the warranty works?
faujc99
post Nov 11 2020, 07:31 PM

Getting Started
153 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Nov 11 2020, 06:48 PM)
How does the warranty works?
i think it is explained in their shopee details. otherwise u can check their website also, www.cerakoteceramic.com
markblurberry
post Nov 12 2020, 12:26 AM

Getting Started
110 posts

Am planning to do mine during cmco period - bought sandpapers - 800, 1000 and 1500 and also clear coat. Will follow 3 steps, it's easy to remember - 1) clean with car shampoo, let dry 2) sand it from harsh to fine paper as per order above, let dry 3) spray with clear coat 3 layer intermittent - should be job done, foresee using lotsa arm grease and sweat, hope it's all in a day work
faujc99
post Nov 12 2020, 12:12 PM

Getting Started
153 posts

QUOTE(markblurberry @ Nov 12 2020, 12:26 AM)
Am planning to do mine during cmco period - bought sandpapers - 800, 1000 and 1500 and also clear coat. Will follow 3 steps, it's easy to remember - 1) clean with car shampoo, let dry 2) sand it from harsh to fine paper as per order above, let dry 3) spray with clear coat 3 layer intermittent - should be job done, foresee using lotsa arm grease and sweat, hope it's all in a day work
the sanding part is difficult if u only use sand paper. cerakote comes with oxidization remover, sanding is a breeze. also, i have tried meguiar's headlight restoration kit, the clear coat is spray one... well have to say, i am no expert in spraying, end up with uneven surfaces (did 4 headlamps in total, none that i am happy with). Cerakote is not spray, it is wipe type, smooth only after application, and the fact that your headlight will not turn white again... i really recommend u to have a look at it bro, get it done in 1 go, no need to worry about it after that. trying other products (like me, just try to save a few bucks), ends up paying more.

just my 2 cents, cheers
6UE5T
post Nov 12 2020, 12:31 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

Apply water when sanding (wet sanding).
abubin
post Nov 12 2020, 01:21 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

QUOTE(faujc99 @ Nov 12 2020, 12:12 PM)
the sanding part is difficult if u only use sand paper. cerakote comes with oxidization remover, sanding is a breeze. also, i have tried meguiar's headlight restoration kit, the clear coat is spray one... well have to say, i am no expert in spraying, end up with uneven surfaces (did 4 headlamps in total, none that i am happy with). Cerakote is not spray, it is wipe type, smooth only after application, and the fact that your headlight will not turn white again... i really recommend u to have a look at it bro, get it done in 1 go, no need to worry about it after that. trying other products (like me, just try to save a few bucks), ends up paying more.

just my 2 cents, cheers
Can I know what is hard about the sanding? Cause you know have to do wet sanding, right? As for clear coat layer, I find spraying method is better and more even. I tried wiping ones and 2 times I tried also not even. Spraying, I get perfect results everytime.
dwRK
post Nov 12 2020, 04:45 PM

the consummate chartist
5,118 posts

pls show pic how bad...?

i would start with 1500 first...if not working takes too long then go rougher...

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0177sec    0.73    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:45 PM