Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Question for Scooter, reliable?

views

TSxiper
post Jul 10 2019, 10:20 PM, updated 5y ago

13 posts

hi all, i'm looking to get my first bike, currently short listed Yamaha Ego Avantiz and Honda BeAT.

My usage will be very low, just to pasar and restaurant nearby (car is way too jam!), which one shall I go for and is the scooter much more problematic than the normal bike?

Appreciate advice if I shall go for a scooter or a normal bike (e.g. Honda Wave or Yamaha Lagenda)?
BlackBananaV6
post Jul 11 2019, 02:36 PM

Getting Started
132 posts

QUOTE(xiper @ Jul 10 2019, 10:20 PM)
hi all, i'm looking to get my first bike, currently short listed Yamaha Ego Avantiz and Honda BeAT.

My usage will be very low, just to pasar and restaurant nearby (car is way too jam!), which one shall I go for and is the scooter much more problematic than the normal bike?

Appreciate advice if I shall go for a scooter or a normal bike (e.g. Honda Wave or Yamaha Lagenda)?
Hi,

I bought my first bike, a brand new scooter, August last year, and this morning I clocked 10,001 km. The scooter was bought after much research. I originally planned to use it, like yourself, for nearby use only.

I'm staying in Johor Bahru, but now I scoot whenever convenient including to Kota Tinggi, Pontian, Gelang Patah, to office and into Singapore too! It is so convenient and economical.

Scooter is not problematic, if it is maintained by knowledgeable and fair people. Many of the problems were caused by unreliable mechanics, like suggesting engine oil for motorbike. Scooter oils are designed for scooter, using motorbike oils will cause problems. The scooter oils are cheaper, which cause user to suspect that they are of inferior quality, but stick to it and you not only save your pocket but also your scooter. Read more on how scooter's engines and their gearboxes works compared to motorcycle, to understand why scooter oils are cheaper.

Scooter requires less maintenance compared to motorcycle, IMHO.

The most reported problem I gathered from the users are... SPEED. They mostly need more speed. My scooter engine is 150cc, and 135LC can easily outrun me.

I suggest you buy a Honda, from any Honda Impian-X dealership and get maintenance from the same dealership. Happy scooting!
ijan
post Jul 11 2019, 02:40 PM

The one with a boring life...
3,444 posts

QUOTE(BlackBananaV6 @ Jul 11 2019, 02:36 PM)
Hi,

I bought my first bike, a brand new scooter, August last year, and this morning I clocked 10,001 km. The scooter was bought after much research. I originally planned to use it, like yourself, for nearby use only.

I'm staying in Johor Bahru, but now I scoot whenever convenient including to Kota Tinggi, Pontian, Gelang Patah, to office and into Singapore too! It is so convenient and economical.

Scooter is not problematic, if it is maintained by knowledgeable and fair people. Many of the problems were caused by unreliable mechanics, like suggesting engine oil for motorbike. Scooter oils are designed for scooter, using motorbike oils will cause problems. The scooter oils are cheaper, which cause user to suspect that they are of inferior quality, but stick to it and you not only save your pocket but also your scooter. Read more on how scooter's engines and their gearboxes works compared to motorcycle, to understand why scooter oils are cheaper.

The most reported problem I gathered from the users are... SPEED. They mostly need more speed. My scooter engine is 150cc, and 135LC can easily outrun me.

I suggest you buy a Honda, from any Honda Impian-X dealership and get maintenance from the same dealership. Happy scooting!
this, honest true perception, on the mechanics and idea
Justin.Loong
post Jul 11 2019, 03:45 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,266 posts

We had a previous similar thread about scooter before:
Ego Solariz vs Honda BeAT
I'll choose the Yamaha instead. cool2.gif

Drillz awek... devil.gif
user posted image
BlackBananaV6
post Jul 11 2019, 03:54 PM

Getting Started
132 posts

Give used Honda PCX a test. They are cheap second hand, which should be a bargain. Being a sejuk scooter, you can park anywhere without worry. Find a low mileage unit.
TSxiper
post Jul 11 2019, 09:31 PM

13 posts

QUOTE(BlackBananaV6 @ Jul 11 2019, 02:36 PM)
Hi,

Thanks for the info! Therefore your suggestion will be the BeAT over the Ego Avantiz

BlackBananaV6
post Jul 12 2019, 10:25 AM

Getting Started
132 posts

QUOTE(xiper @ Jul 11 2019, 09:31 PM)
Thanks for the info! Therefore your suggestion will be the BeAT over the Ego Avantiz
Yes, you're right
fat16
post Jul 12 2019, 11:08 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,582 posts

honda wave alpha. cheaper than scooter price and service.
rosiexxi P
post Nov 27 2019, 08:06 PM

Probation
0 posts

QUOTE(BlackBananaV6 @ Jul 11 2019, 03:36 PM)
Hi,

hi! what do you think about yamaha solariz? between honda beat and yamaha solariz, which one is the best for someone being 156cm and weight not more than 50kg?

Karenalvin
post Nov 27 2019, 09:32 PM

Getting Started
247 posts

if you are coming from a car user i think a scooter is really much much better choice. you never have to bother about lube chains and maintenance is actually so cheap that you will not really feel it.

personally for me small kapcai reside in that weird place where it doesn't really have the convenience twist-and-go of a scooter and no clutch like a proper tank bike to have fun in. so shifting gears without the clutch becomes quite the chore with little rewards.

as to choice between Beat and Solariz, really not a whole lot of difference between them. the Yamaha has a slightly bigger engine therefore a bit more powerful while the Beat edge out a little on the brakes.

but at this price point there is really nothing much to compare, pick one that looks better to you
Karenalvin
post Nov 27 2019, 09:53 PM

Getting Started
247 posts

QUOTE(rosiexxi @ Nov 27 2019, 08:06 PM)
hi! what do you think about yamaha solariz? between honda beat and yamaha solariz, which one is the best for someone being 156cm and weight not more than 50kg?
by the way, there is a thread a few way below about a fellow lyner who took the beat for a one month road trip around Thailand. going by his account, the beat seems bulletproof.

one thing i quite like about Honda these days is their Impain-X dealership which is an attempt to introduce the car-like stealership experience to the small biking world and my experience with them for my PCX is pretty good. dealing with bike shops can be a such a pain in the ass sometimes and Honda's attempt to make small bike owners feel more welcomed is pretty awesome

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0145sec    0.22    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:05 AM