Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

4x4 Pickup Truck (LYN Official Thread), We talk cock about man trucks!

views

frozen7
post Jul 18 2019, 05:33 PM

Getting Started
176 posts

Seems like Dmax is the least favourite pickup among here. Lol
I wonder why Dmax sales better in Thailand (Top sales is between Hilux / Dmax)
My family own a Dmax (RT50) and Hilux Revo. I have been driving Dmax for 6 years (mileage clocked 170k+ up to now) So far touch wood no major problem occured on my Dmax, the biggest repair/upgrade cost is to replace the suspension (stock suspension is comfort/soft)
This truck is mainly for working purpose (carry some heavy load, go into construction site...)

The following are my own view comparing these 2 trucks,
Dmax Pro:
1, Fuel saving (the main sales point)
2, Low maintenance cost (SC major service cost around 1k)
3, Reliability is ok. Isuzu engine is reliable

Dmax Cons:
1, Slow pickup , lack of power ( i think this is the main reason turn people down after test drive, but there are a lot aftermarket piggyback ECU to raise the engine output)
2, Steering a bit heavy

Hilux Pro:
1, Much better pick up
2, Feel more solid, less body roll
3, Better handling

Hilux Cons:
1, Bumpy (the suspension very hard )

Anyway if i am not carrying heavy load or going into severe construction site, i wont go for pickup truck, i would go for SUV instead. More comfortable and you dont need to install deck cover/canopy to store anything behind. When i am going out with my family (with a baby), I would rather to drive my Fortuner.

This post has been edited by frozen7: Jul 18 2019, 05:34 PM
frozen7
post Jul 19 2019, 11:37 AM

Getting Started
176 posts

QUOTE(SilentForever @ Jul 18 2019, 11:37 PM)
I have never driven a dmax before but older dmax are really underpowered. Isuzu diesel engine known for their reliability and the current lineup is dated. I think they gonna refresh soon with the new 1.9 engine. I doubt all these smaller displacements engine can last longer than the larger one.
Yeah. I think Isuzu purposely tune down the engine for fuel saving purpose. Met a Isuzu lorry driver during my SC visit for service, that driver also claimed that his used mitsubishi lorry more powerful than his current new Isuzu lorry. biggrin.gif
frozen7
post Jul 23 2019, 10:25 AM

Getting Started
176 posts

QUOTE(mingyuyu @ Jul 22 2019, 10:02 PM)
i have both the previous gen single cab 3.0 Dmax and previous gen double cab 3.0 Hilux in my family

both of them are really reliable as workhorse, dmax regularly used to carry heavy loads (500-1000kg) and hilux used for off-roading almost daily

dmax's suspension is quite soft and downright terrible when the rear is not loaded, the rebound is so aggressive that you will "jump" from your seat when going through speedbumps/potholes a little too fast

hilux in comparison is a lot better even though not that comfortable as well 

dmax's FC is really on the next level, almost as good as my IDSI jazz (i can get around 15km/L on highway)

the only reason to consider dmax over hilux is for the cheaper price, everything else it lacks behind hilux imo (better fc at the expense of less output)
Agree that Dmax and Hilux would be the preferable choice if it meant for workhorse purpose. Reliable and maintenance is slightly at the low side compared with other model.
Dmax suspension is very soft, I would advise to upgrade to aftermarket suspension especially if carrying heavy load frequently.
At the current mileage, I still manage to get 12.8km/L after certain upgrade (HT to AT tyres, add throttle controller, a piggyback ECU)

frozen7
post Sep 1 2019, 10:32 PM

Getting Started
176 posts

QUOTE(Eternalgl0ry @ Sep 1 2019, 12:00 PM)
Just another dealer only. overlander get stuffs from these shops i mention
If something wrong they will most likely charge or direct you to the HQ i mentioned bangwall.gif  doh.gif

I have experience with both the shops i mentioned. They have good warranty services and also do other things even it is not purchase from them.

FWD equipment mainly only sell their products. They are well known for doing stuffs for the government which include PDRM 4x4. PLUS rescue vehicles, TNB, TELEKOM and etc . They are the best to look for if you want the premium and precise without any problems

topup 4x4 sells anything you want just ask. If you have stuffs and need help for installation or modify can also ask which i did lol.

These shops are the main distributor of their own brands. I once replaced a suspension shock absorber absolutely free of  charge in FWD equipment
If you are going to install bull bars or rear bars or sidestep protection equipment. It is best to look for FWD equipment as ARB is the only certified and proven safety equipment. Other brands only state they are AIRBAG compliment but there is no evidence at all

Topup 4x4 also sells MCC bars but i do not recommend them because they may cause sensor issues which i did. I eventually changed to ARB and no problems ever since

There are good looking protection equipment apart from ARB but they are still just for show. They may protect the vehicle but may not protect you
Roller lids are garbage.

They take 20% of your cargo space behind of the roller box
They are not waterproof
They are not secure at all because every few inches there are gaps in between them to fold when open but this is also a flaw. Thieves can easily just use a thin object and squeeze it open or hammer it down
They get rusty easily and needs lubricate over time which is a hassle/ hard to open and close
They are very hard to open during hot sunlight ( aluminum/metal + sunlight = fry egg )
The only alternative for roller and best choice will be topflip cover from topup 4x4 . One of the shops i recommended
It can do everything a roller does and better

personally using topup cover  as you can drive while open 90 degrees ( topflip can do this as well ) and looks better
Are you using Oldman Emu suspension? How is their shocks? I am planning to change my shocks as well, currently Oldman Emu, Bilstein and Formula (under Superpro) in my shortlist.
frozen7
post Sep 2 2019, 10:24 AM

Getting Started
176 posts

QUOTE(Eternalgl0ry @ Sep 1 2019, 11:38 PM)
What stuffs do you want?
Yes oldman emu suspension. Its awesome for comfort levels to heavy carry load just tell them what do you do
Just go to their website and play with the settings to see which setup you are interested
https://www.oldmanemu.com.au/old-man-emu-su...nsion-selector/
If you are looking for hardcore super suspension which is comparable with the " ford ranger raptor " fox shox suspension. It will be BP-51 from old man emu suspension as well

It is consider a high grade suspension. Its pricey though

So far only old man emu suspension interests me. Bilstein is also good but malaysia fails to have the full set or kit and the warranty is  rclxub.gif . Its good in overseas but Malaysia Bilstein not really into 4x4. They only carry special orders

Tough dog is also good but still still new

All other brands only consist of shock absorbers and a few extras only but old man emu suspension system provides the full range of the kit. I suggest go for the full kit for hassle free in the future and enjoy the comfort

If you plan to go for other brands. Most importantly is to ask the warranty because i try going for pedders shock absorbers before and the warranty is basically useless. It made me so frustrated back then

Also other brands do not really have their own absorber springs. They will most likely tell you to buy other brands unless it came with it. Dont make this mistake because when i first change my suspension to pedders and they tell me either use back stock springs or go for other brands which is pretty crap. Different spring setups can also interfere

I evenutally changed to OME suspension system. They have everything included from springs to shackles to leaf spring.. everything

Normally old man emu suspension from FWD equipment will ask you to come back after a certain period of time or usage to double check everything are okay. If you plan to do it from other shops .... try ask the FWD equipment the authorized dealers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsU8c8QSTD8
Watch the introduction ^
Nice set you have there.
Yes you are right, better to go for brand which carries whole set of suspension items. My suspension is quite in a mess now, shocks , coil spring and leaf spring are all in different brand. doh.gif (thai brand shocks, King coil spring, Ori leaf spring)
As far as i know bilstein doesnt have their own spring as well, the local 4x4 bilstein dealer which i know pair it with King Coil spring and leaf spring if customer opt to change it together.

Warranty issue i think better to get review from customers instead of dealer themselves, I have bad experience to claim the warranty as well, seller kept on giving excuses and no reply from him after some time. I am surprised your Pedders have this issue also.

By the way what's the rough cost for the whole set of OME suspension system?

frozen7
post Sep 3 2019, 10:56 AM

Getting Started
176 posts

QUOTE(Eternalgl0ry @ Sep 2 2019, 11:48 PM)
I did ask pedders facebook on the warranty and they told me that the dealer should be responsible since the warranty is still intact and valid. But visit second time and the dealer say will charge me the absorber price , labor fee and installation.I told him go fly kite straight in the face
The whole ome suspension set should cost starting around 7000. Warranty aside so far ome suspension best
Better do it at the HQ located in shah alam KL. I witness the ome suspension installation and notice how different they install everything compare to the pedders dealer shop.

The springs are also checked precisely to see which go which side
They even have a strict check on the lubrication to fitment process. The senior staff came over to check everything two times before going out for a test ride to complete the installation
It will lift 2" and they will will measure everything from the clearance , the gap and etc... It will be recorded down on the warranty

Around almost two years later. I had a leakage on one of my rear  absorber.... maybe caused by a flying object. There was a ding knock and scatch

quickly ask them on their facebook page
They told me to come to have a check
The next day arrive there was pretty much nervous
later they say free of charge because warranty. Even the labor fee is waived lol

It was brand new replacement.

Planning to do the whole ome suspension on my another pickup. I drove both everyday and able to experience between the stock and ome suspension
Pretty big and obvious ride differences

the most obvious difference is how ome suspension so stable on high speed or uneven roads and cornering. Normally on the same route with my another stock pickup 4x4 suspension will go up and down , unsteady and balance
Nice review on OME, especially on the warranty side.
2 years + usage also under warranty?
You managed to get replacement for both rear absorbers or only one?
frozen7
post Sep 5 2019, 10:25 PM

Getting Started
176 posts

QUOTE(figuremeout @ Sep 5 2019, 04:20 PM)
Guys, just a noob question. I noticed the pickup for 4x4 needs some learning to do. Not like the usual sedan where you just floor it and it goes fast.
For pickup i assumed it needs to be downshifted(release the pedal and floor it) before accelerating. May i know what is the appropriate method to speed up when exiting a junction, overtaking or uphill driving?
Ps: normal mode. Not power mode
Go test drive Isuzu Dmax, you will feel even more sluggish compared with your hilux. biggrin.gif
frozen7
post Mar 4 2020, 09:48 AM

Getting Started
176 posts

QUOTE(Eternalgl0ry @ Mar 4 2020, 12:44 AM)
OLD MAN EMU  rclxms.gif

Australian company ARB makes them and they have a distributor in KL shah alam ... shop  is called FWD EQUIPMENT

Warranty is awesome. They replaced one of my shocks after 2 years FREE OF CHARGE.. They sell individual to full suspension system.

They have comfort settings all the way to baja settings ( if you think ranger raptor fox shox is the best.... think again. There are competitors )

Others ? i do not recommend ... i tried ironman , pedders , red phoenix, tough dog. All only so so only
Then when comes to warranty replacement or service.. All avoid and say must charge ( basically ranting.gif  the warranty is for show only )
Tried Red Phoenix - Agree with you. worst experience, shitty warranty
Now using Formula 4x4 (under Superpro) also normal feel, not as stable as i think.
frozen7
post May 13 2020, 10:12 PM

Getting Started
176 posts

QUOTE(jlkh760830 @ May 13 2020, 08:35 PM)
Still fall in love with the new 3rd generation Isuzu Dmax

user posted image

A pickup truck that worth to wait ... 😍

user posted image
Sexy yeah?
But wonder when to come in Malaysia.
Might consider to upgrade my current 2013 Dmax into this. wub.gif
frozen7
post May 13 2020, 10:14 PM

Getting Started
176 posts

QUOTE(chiangth @ May 13 2020, 04:31 PM)
I am driving a moderately modified Isuzu D-Max 2013 2.5L manual 4x4. I can vouch for Isuzu's reliability and FC. I am avid fan of pickup trucks and my family sells 4x4. Here are my opinion:

A) Triton 2.5 adventure X (expensive roadtax and pricey but good features)
Havent try before. But MIVEC is good engine. Should be good. Roadtax about 860

B) Ranger 2.2 bio turbo wildtrak (pricy on car & maintenance but cantik)
IMO Triton looks better, but this 1 subjective la. One of the better ones in terms of power. But maintenance is damn heck expensive. I went to test drive and saw the maintenance sheet. regular service nothing lower than 600-700 and major service can be close to 1k if not more. (saw it last year)

C) Dmax 1.9 (cheap & nice but takut cannot handle the heavy load)
If you want reliability and godlike FC then this is the choice. Isuzu engines are well known to be over engineered and tough. My 2.5L can be tuned up to 250hp and almost 600Nm can take also. just maybe reliability might be affected. The only thing i do not like about D-max is the suspension can be a little too soft. But load hauling is as good as others. so for your use - good enough.

D) Navara NP300
Why not Navara? If I dont drive the D-max. I'll maybe get this. the power is good and the comfort is excellent. But only 2 concerns - comfort is excellent because coilspring suspension at the rear instead of leafspring. this might affect load hauling. Another concern is the bonnet shape - the sides comes up a little and it obstructs the driver's view of front sides.

Simply put, if you want:
Power - Triton or Ranger
Looks - Triton or Ranger
Comfort - Navara
Reliability - D-Max
FC - D-Max

and btw, why I also dont like Hilux:

1. UMW is well known to be skimping on safety. When the new generation D-Max was launched in 2012, even the lowest spec came with projector and the higher spec came with ESC, EBD and so on. Hilux need to wait for a few years. Honda City came up with 6 airbags at 1 time, but Altis after more than a year still 2 airbags

2. It failed the moose test for more than 9 years. Goes to show how much Toyota values safety and improvement.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoHbn8-ROiQ
I think they have improved it, but not sure whether for all markets

Anyway, please go test drive all before buying.
Agree that Dmax suspension too soft. Even after i upgrade to australian brand shocks. doh.gif

frozen7
post May 14 2020, 09:58 PM

Getting Started
176 posts

QUOTE(chiangth @ May 14 2020, 11:34 AM)
May I know which brand? I changed to whole full set OME. It works very very well. Stiffer + more stable. if you only change absorber then it doesnt help because it is the springs which are soft.
A pretty new brand by Superpro, Formula 4x4. The seller gave me two choice either Formula or Bilstein, I took Formula due to budget issue.
I have change my front spring to King Spring as well. The only original items are leaf spring. Guess i should change leaf spring as well?
frozen7
post May 17 2020, 03:11 PM

Getting Started
176 posts

QUOTE(chiangth @ May 17 2020, 03:04 PM)
if you want a firmer, more stable ride then you have to change the leaf. the only benefit of absorbers are just the controlled bound and rebound, which makes the ride more comfortable. but if want stability and firmer, springs are the ones you need to change.

so that's why before changing anything, the most important thing you need to ask yourself is what do you want to achieve by changing. i spent about additional 30k on my car for mods....and of that, i wasted 5k because i didnt ask myself that question. Just mod.
Yeap. The most crucial question.
30k notworthy.gif Which part of mod cost you the most?
So far i have only mod the suspension part and add ecu piggybag.
frozen7
post Jun 2 2020, 03:45 PM

Getting Started
176 posts

QUOTE(chiangth @ Jun 2 2020, 03:23 PM)
Q: I know lorry can add additional leaf spring to carry more weight but this apply on 4x4?
A: Hi, OME sells 1 set of leaf spring. I am not sure whether they sell ONLY the leaf spring or does it come in a set with the coil spring in front. You can give Shah Alam Four Wheel Eq a call to check : https://4x4.com.my/

Q: By the way Im surveying a used 4x4 for work. Navara D40 2012 mainly it's cheap but Dmax is cheaper. But I need that 4x4 function for farm or else settle with 4x2.
A: I had a friend who drove the old Nissan Navara. Drinks more oil than my grandfather drink todi. I might be biased but I would still go for D-Max, regardless the old i-teq or TDI 1. Both has been proven to be tough and economical. And if you require more power, just visit ECU-Shop.

What is your work? If you require the 4x4 function then you require it. You'll regret not having 4x4 when you are stranded somewhere.
I would prefer Dmax over Navara as well if it is for farm use, for its reliability.
Navara indeed fuel consumption is much higher than Dmax, but more powerful.
Give and take lor. biggrin.gif
frozen7
post Jun 7 2020, 01:44 PM

Getting Started
176 posts

QUOTE(chiangth @ Jun 7 2020, 12:23 PM)
1. wider just to make it look more "bold", probably 275 has gone a little too far, guess i would try 265 first, see how..
if you value FE then yes, try 265 first. You are not going to go to the track and take fast sharp corner to utilise the 275, so it will just drain your fuel with no benefit. The reason I even change from 255 to 265 is because mine was the 2012 low spec, no ESC, ABS etc, so the grip was bad with 255. Now since I change to OME shocks more stable and tyres more planted, might just consider going back 255.
2. yes, you are right, negative offset, mind to share what's your rim offset & width? my idea is to make it align with body or just come out a little only, as per yours
Lenso RT-E
17" x 8.0"
Bolt Pattern: 6 x 139.7
Offset (mm): 20
Spokes: 9
This is the same rim model as the Isuzu D-Max Beast. I actually not fully satisfied with this rim because there is no good hub cover. Refer to attached Pic 2
Anyway if you are in Klang Valley, you can consider checking out AT Auto Shoppe in Seri Kembangan or King of Rims in Shah Alam. Can check out their FB/Insta to see. They have alot of rims

3. noted on that, i saw Tein adjustable can lift the car a little but remain stock comfort level, very interested in it but the price seems a bit.......
i'm using Yokohama Geolander AT-S all the while, probably like more than 20 pcs already, they are good, but just kinda bored with them  laugh.gif
feeling like trying out others, now eyeing on Bridgestone Dueler AT 697 or BF Goodrich KO2
How much is the TEIN? Only the shocks and without spring?
If you want your car to be stable then springs are important. Plus, my opinion about adjustable is that...you're not going to go below the car and adjust it, that's why I didnt bother about adjustable and just get the OME which are non-adjustable. KO2 are used in the Ranger Raptor, looks good. But what do you want out of your tyres? Looks? Grip on wet? Threadwear?  Drive on tarmac more or mix offroad? Depends on what you want.

H/T: if you drive on road 80 - 100% of the time. Better FE and better dry and wet grip. Yes, contrary to popular belief, H/T have better wet grip compared to A/T.
A/T: If you drive off road 50 - 80% of the time. Lower threadwear than H/T but of course, looks cooler
M/T: If you drive off road most of the time. Very rough and bumpy to drive on road and very bad on FE.

Depends what you want. KO2s are the ones used in Ranger Raptor and I admit it looks cool.
But you might want to pay attention to the UTQG rating on tyres as well. This 1 alot of people overlook. You can see the ratings for: Threadwear (higher number better), Temperature (AA= best, but 4x4 tyre at most A only), and Traction (AA best but i think cant get for 4x4) on the side wall of tyre.

I am a very practical person, I drive on road and high speed on highway all the time and I want high threadwear thus I chose Continental CrossContact LX2 which is H/T with Threadwear: 680, Temperature: A, Traction: A.

For tyres alone I think I spent half a year to study and read about it. LOL

user posted image

user posted image
Bro, you actually have 2 Dmax ?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0232sec    0.34    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:42 PM