Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

4x4 Pickup Truck (LYN Official Thread), We talk cock about man trucks!

views

TSSafar
post Jul 10 2019, 10:21 AM, updated 4y ago

Torrent Freak
908 posts

Hi Guys,

I checked around for 4x4 Pickup Truck discussion and mostly are old discussion on old model. Im looking to purchase one this or next month.
My usage mainly on road, 60-70% Highway and 40-30% normal road. I went for D-Max and Ranger Wildtrak, both of them seems fine however the Wildtrak 2.0 Bi Turbo seems better.
I wonder if anyone here driving that car. Also looking for some basic modification, not really of off road more for look.
Plus need advise on diesel type, I see some say better use Euro 5, not really sure what that mean, I use petrol car, so I know different between RON95 and RON97.

TSSafar
post Jul 10 2019, 02:19 PM

Torrent Freak
908 posts

After read some of feedback, I plan to go with Ranger Wildtrak 2.0 Bi Turbo. I wonder if i drive to Thailand can get cheaper accessories. Car due next month or so. I was told this engine are same as the Raptor 2.0 but different accessories. Raptor are more for offroad from what i heard. I went 20-30 min test driving with WT and it seems much better handling. Some truck still using hydrolic system for steering , like D-Max but WT using electric. Also i saw one power plug at the cargo area and it seems using different socket, anyone know what type of socket is it and what is it called.
TSSafar
post Jul 10 2019, 05:07 PM

Torrent Freak
908 posts

QUOTE(entire @ Jul 10 2019, 04:21 PM)
I'm using navara, so far so good and very comfy, im not using offroad and bring heavy goods too often. But of cos if money not a problem I would choose raptor or wildtrack.
I cross Navara from my list, I have been fan of Nissan for some time, I own Almera & Livina but Navara design and interior turning me down.

TSSafar
post Jul 10 2019, 05:09 PM

Torrent Freak
908 posts

QUOTE(MeToo @ Jul 10 2019, 04:22 PM)
12V 3 pin plug like yoru house socket.

So you can plug in your radio, rice cooker, spotlight etc when you go offroading.
I know the back seat have 3 pin plug for WT but i saw another round type at the cargo and it seems like 12V like normal car. It has cap on it to prevent water.
TSSafar
post Jul 11 2019, 08:05 AM

Torrent Freak
908 posts

QUOTE(Bjorn1688 @ Jul 10 2019, 05:49 PM)
I was a user of the 2.8l Hilux from 2017 up until recently when I changed roles and was no longer given a company vehicle. Also had a customised Land Rover Defender which I built up from its chassis rails up as an offroad rig that I recently sold as getting too old for this type of toys.

I did consider buying another pickup, narrowed it down to the Ranger XLT+ and the Navara VL.

The issue with Ford, it isn't the parts availability, you can buy any part you want from SDAC, the main issue is getting an appointment to service or have your truck looked at or diagnosed.

Navara, I liked driving it as it has fairly good get up and go but it had a tendency to hunt for gears.

Which one to buy? I would have bought the Ranger but in the end decided we carried passengers more often than any cargo, therefore we bought a Peugeot 3008 instead.

If you don't really carry any goods, do consider buying a SUV instead of a pickup truck especially if majority of your journeys are on paved roads and it is unlikely that you would ever go offroad.

Best for highways? Some say the Ranger and some say Triton. I would say the Ranger has better on road manners but the Triton better handling. Navara somewhere in between.

Best for offroad in stock standard form? They are all the same because they have road tyres. Best offroad after you change the tyres? None are fantastic in stock form but with proper tyres the Hilux is still the better one. But if you will be going offroad often better buy a Hilux for the simple reason that you will be needing to change quite a fair few parts and in this part of the world those for a Hilux are much cheaper.

As for diesel type? All pickups sold here don't have a DPF and doesn't require EuroV. You do get slightly better fuel economy, less injector noise and engine does feel smoother. However you won't damage anything by not using it.
For the Hilux we did not use EuroV as the fleet card did not allow for it, therefore it was just your standard EuroIIm diesel.

Definitely a good idea to go to Thailand for accessories as it can be up to 1/3 cheaper. If you buy a Ranger there is a FB owners group for it, some very helpful hints there and someone did give me a list of places to go in Thailand for where to get parts from and yes you can also service your truck in Thailand while at it.
This is very helpful , now I'm having 2nd taught to go with SUV. I already own Livina and i normally travel with Livina because its big and spacious room for long distance. Once I went to Gambang (Pahang) from Penang with Almera and I can tell you its not a good experience. My main reason to get pickup truck is because i moved to landed house and i like doing some DIY job. I sometimes bring pallet wood from office and turn it to nice small table. I also do gardening and when needed big pot, i normally have issue carrying with Livina. Also bought IBC tank recently and needed to rent lorry. Livina is getting old so want to put it to rest and use pickup truck instead. If you still have the FB link for Ranger group , please PM or share it here. I already have plan to go Thailand after got my Wildtrack.
TSSafar
post Jul 11 2019, 03:40 PM

Torrent Freak
908 posts

I saw Ford Ranger have T5 , T6 and T7 or T8 ? what are these ? Model ? Year made ?
Mine going to WT 2.0 Bi Turbo, T what is this ? I know some parts does not match with some other T, like they said this parts are fro T5-T8

TSSafar
post Jul 16 2019, 09:58 AM

Torrent Freak
908 posts

Almost confirm getting Ford WT, now waiting if any Merdeka promotion coming up.
TSSafar
post Aug 27 2019, 11:19 AM

Torrent Freak
908 posts

Finally receiving my Wildtrak 2.0 this week, hopefully it will perform as expected
TSSafar
post Aug 30 2019, 08:18 AM

Torrent Freak
908 posts

Next will be upgrade and accessories. Anyone have plan for Thailand trip ? Maybe can join since this going to be my first trip.
TSSafar
post Aug 31 2019, 04:18 PM

Torrent Freak
908 posts

QUOTE(Fat & Fluffy @ Aug 30 2019, 10:18 AM)
from where?
From Penang. To enter Thailand 160km, around 2hr driving. To enter Padang Besar IQC
TSSafar
post May 15 2020, 07:37 AM

Torrent Freak
908 posts

QUOTE(chiangth @ May 14 2020, 11:34 AM)
May I know which brand? I changed to whole full set OME. It works very very well. Stiffer + more stable. if you only change absorber then it doesnt help because it is the springs which are soft.
You can try survey this brand

https://www.redsprings4x4.com.my/

Price relatively cheaper and quality also not bad , international level.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0222sec    0.20    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:21 AM