Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> 4x4 Pickup Truck (LYN Official Thread), We talk cock about man trucks!

views

TSSafar
post Jul 10 2019, 05:07 PM

Torrent Freak
908 posts

QUOTE(entire @ Jul 10 2019, 04:21 PM)
I'm using navara, so far so good and very comfy, im not using offroad and bring heavy goods too often. But of cos if money not a problem I would choose raptor or wildtrack.
I cross Navara from my list, I have been fan of Nissan for some time, I own Almera & Livina but Navara design and interior turning me down.

TSSafar
post Jul 10 2019, 05:09 PM

Torrent Freak
908 posts

QUOTE(MeToo @ Jul 10 2019, 04:22 PM)
12V 3 pin plug like yoru house socket.

So you can plug in your radio, rice cooker, spotlight etc when you go offroading.
I know the back seat have 3 pin plug for WT but i saw another round type at the cargo and it seems like 12V like normal car. It has cap on it to prevent water.
MeToo
post Jul 10 2019, 05:20 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,921 posts

QUOTE(Safar @ Jul 10 2019, 05:09 PM)
I know the back seat have 3 pin plug for WT but i saw another round type at the cargo and it seems like 12V like normal car. It has cap on it to prevent water.
That was what I was talkigbn about.
entire
post Jul 10 2019, 05:29 PM

Getting Started
110 posts

ok I just wanna ask sifu here, I know the diff between 4H and 4Lo, but is it same 4H with AWD car? cox what I heard 4H mode is not recommended to drive more than 80km/h but not in AWD
Cryptonoob
post Jul 10 2019, 05:30 PM

21 posts

QUOTE(Safar @ Jul 10 2019, 10:21 AM)
Hi Guys,

I checked around for 4x4 Pickup Truck discussion and mostly are old discussion on old model. Im looking to purchase one this or next month.
My usage mainly on road, 60-70% Highway and 40-30% normal road. I went for D-Max and Ranger Wildtrak, both of them seems fine however the Wildtrak 2.0 Bi Turbo seems better.
I wonder if anyone here driving that car. Also looking for some basic modification, not really of off road more for look.
Plus need advise on diesel type, I see some say better use Euro 5, not really sure what that mean, I use petrol car, so I know different between RON95 and RON97.
Chevrolet colorado 2.8
Bjorn1688
post Jul 10 2019, 05:49 PM

Regular
1,924 posts

QUOTE(Safar @ Jul 10 2019, 10:21 AM)
Hi Guys,

I checked around for 4x4 Pickup Truck discussion and mostly are old discussion on old model. Im looking to purchase one this or next month.
My usage mainly on road, 60-70% Highway and 40-30% normal road. I went for D-Max and Ranger Wildtrak, both of them seems fine however the Wildtrak 2.0 Bi Turbo seems better.
I wonder if anyone here driving that car. Also looking for some basic modification, not really of off road more for look.
Plus need advise on diesel type, I see some say better use Euro 5, not really sure what that mean, I use petrol car, so I know different between RON95 and RON97.
I was a user of the 2.8l Hilux from 2017 up until recently when I changed roles and was no longer given a company vehicle. Also had a customised Land Rover Defender which I built up from its chassis rails up as an offroad rig that I recently sold as getting too old for this type of toys.

I did consider buying another pickup, narrowed it down to the Ranger XLT+ and the Navara VL.

The issue with Ford, it isn't the parts availability, you can buy any part you want from SDAC, the main issue is getting an appointment to service or have your truck looked at or diagnosed.

Navara, I liked driving it as it has fairly good get up and go but it had a tendency to hunt for gears.

Which one to buy? I would have bought the Ranger but in the end decided we carried passengers more often than any cargo, therefore we bought a Peugeot 3008 instead.

If you don't really carry any goods, do consider buying a SUV instead of a pickup truck especially if majority of your journeys are on paved roads and it is unlikely that you would ever go offroad.

Best for highways? Some say the Ranger and some say Triton. I would say the Ranger has better on road manners but the Triton better handling. Navara somewhere in between.

Best for offroad in stock standard form? They are all the same because they have road tyres. Best offroad after you change the tyres? None are fantastic in stock form but with proper tyres the Hilux is still the better one. But if you will be going offroad often better buy a Hilux for the simple reason that you will be needing to change quite a fair few parts and in this part of the world those for a Hilux are much cheaper.

As for diesel type? All pickups sold here don't have a DPF and doesn't require EuroV. You do get slightly better fuel economy, less injector noise and engine does feel smoother. However you won't damage anything by not using it.
For the Hilux we did not use EuroV as the fleet card did not allow for it, therefore it was just your standard EuroIIm diesel.

Definitely a good idea to go to Thailand for accessories as it can be up to 1/3 cheaper. If you buy a Ranger there is a FB owners group for it, some very helpful hints there and someone did give me a list of places to go in Thailand for where to get parts from and yes you can also service your truck in Thailand while at it.
g9000z
post Jul 10 2019, 10:52 PM

Getting Started
112 posts

Finally a pickup thread.
What is the best 4x4 pickup truck for beginner?
looking at 2nd hand D-max, price is quite tempting

is the maintenance expensive for older model?
any preference model/year to choose?
or I should consider other brand pickup truk?

70U63
post Jul 11 2019, 06:53 AM

Getting Started
53 posts

If you value safety tech (mainly 6/7 airbags), you only have the choice of these brands although it is in highest spec (hilux 2.4L &2.8L, triton adventure x and ranger wildtrak).

I went for Triton last time due to price. Now the adventure x come with full time 4wd (I'd you switch to 4H from super select 4wd system, which can used on tarmac unlike convention 4wd system)

Wouldn't consider other brands due to lack of safety tech, although I knew a lot Malaysian more concern about face and resale value.
TSSafar
post Jul 11 2019, 08:05 AM

Torrent Freak
908 posts

QUOTE(Bjorn1688 @ Jul 10 2019, 05:49 PM)
I was a user of the 2.8l Hilux from 2017 up until recently when I changed roles and was no longer given a company vehicle. Also had a customised Land Rover Defender which I built up from its chassis rails up as an offroad rig that I recently sold as getting too old for this type of toys.

I did consider buying another pickup, narrowed it down to the Ranger XLT+ and the Navara VL.

The issue with Ford, it isn't the parts availability, you can buy any part you want from SDAC, the main issue is getting an appointment to service or have your truck looked at or diagnosed.

Navara, I liked driving it as it has fairly good get up and go but it had a tendency to hunt for gears.

Which one to buy? I would have bought the Ranger but in the end decided we carried passengers more often than any cargo, therefore we bought a Peugeot 3008 instead.

If you don't really carry any goods, do consider buying a SUV instead of a pickup truck especially if majority of your journeys are on paved roads and it is unlikely that you would ever go offroad.

Best for highways? Some say the Ranger and some say Triton. I would say the Ranger has better on road manners but the Triton better handling. Navara somewhere in between.

Best for offroad in stock standard form? They are all the same because they have road tyres. Best offroad after you change the tyres? None are fantastic in stock form but with proper tyres the Hilux is still the better one. But if you will be going offroad often better buy a Hilux for the simple reason that you will be needing to change quite a fair few parts and in this part of the world those for a Hilux are much cheaper.

As for diesel type? All pickups sold here don't have a DPF and doesn't require EuroV. You do get slightly better fuel economy, less injector noise and engine does feel smoother. However you won't damage anything by not using it.
For the Hilux we did not use EuroV as the fleet card did not allow for it, therefore it was just your standard EuroIIm diesel.

Definitely a good idea to go to Thailand for accessories as it can be up to 1/3 cheaper. If you buy a Ranger there is a FB owners group for it, some very helpful hints there and someone did give me a list of places to go in Thailand for where to get parts from and yes you can also service your truck in Thailand while at it.
This is very helpful , now I'm having 2nd taught to go with SUV. I already own Livina and i normally travel with Livina because its big and spacious room for long distance. Once I went to Gambang (Pahang) from Penang with Almera and I can tell you its not a good experience. My main reason to get pickup truck is because i moved to landed house and i like doing some DIY job. I sometimes bring pallet wood from office and turn it to nice small table. I also do gardening and when needed big pot, i normally have issue carrying with Livina. Also bought IBC tank recently and needed to rent lorry. Livina is getting old so want to put it to rest and use pickup truck instead. If you still have the FB link for Ranger group , please PM or share it here. I already have plan to go Thailand after got my Wildtrack.
Bjorn1688
post Jul 11 2019, 11:08 AM

Regular
1,924 posts

QUOTE(Safar @ Jul 11 2019, 08:05 AM)
This is very helpful , now I'm having 2nd taught to go with SUV. I already own Livina and i normally travel with Livina because its big and spacious room for long distance. Once I went to Gambang (Pahang) from Penang with Almera and I can tell you its not a good experience. My main reason to get pickup truck is because i moved to landed house and i like doing some DIY job. I sometimes bring pallet wood from office and turn it to nice small table. I also do gardening and when needed big pot, i normally have issue carrying with Livina. Also bought IBC tank recently and needed to rent lorry. Livina is getting old so want to put it to rest and use pickup truck instead.  If you still have the FB link for Ranger group , please PM or share it here. I already have plan to go Thailand after got my Wildtrack.
https://www.facebook.com/MyFordRangerClub/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1474721352826453/

Both of these have some good links and less moaning and complaining.

OK, sounds like a good reason to have a pickup.

However from the way it sounds I think you might be better off with a SUV such as a Mitsubishi Outlander or a Kia Sorento.

I doubt you'd be carrying IBC tanks on a monthly basis smile.gif
Bjorn1688
post Jul 11 2019, 11:18 AM

Regular
1,924 posts

QUOTE(g9000z @ Jul 10 2019, 10:52 PM)
Finally a pickup thread.
What is the best 4x4 pickup truck for beginner?
looking at 2nd hand D-max, price is quite tempting

is the maintenance expensive for older model?
any preference model/year to choose?
or I should consider other brand pickup truk?
The main expense for any pickup or SUV will be the tyres, doesn't matter if it is a Proton X70 or a Range Rover, the tyres will bare minimum set you back RM400 per piece.

The next will be the brake pads which will be an annual replacement if you like to floor it.

Older models? Standard wear and tear but the suspension parts will be the first to require replacement which could be good news too as it means you get to upgrade smile.gif

Best 4x4 for a beginner? The Ford Ranger is the better one to drive as a beginner, just make sure you get the ones 2015 or after as those came with ESP.
TSSafar
post Jul 11 2019, 03:40 PM

Torrent Freak
908 posts

I saw Ford Ranger have T5 , T6 and T7 or T8 ? what are these ? Model ? Year made ?
Mine going to WT 2.0 Bi Turbo, T what is this ? I know some parts does not match with some other T, like they said this parts are fro T5-T8

Bjorn1688
post Jul 11 2019, 05:05 PM

Regular
1,924 posts

QUOTE(Safar @ Jul 11 2019, 03:40 PM)
I saw Ford Ranger have T5 , T6 and T7 or T8 ? what are these ? Model ? Year made ?
Mine going to WT 2.0 Bi Turbo, T what is this ? I know some parts does not match with some other T, like they said this parts are fro T5-T8
No such thing as a Ranger T5.

Ford started this generation of Rangers as T6.

T6 = 2013 model. It had a minor tweak in 2015 when it was equipped with ESP and 3-point rear seat belts.
T7 = The 1st facelift, all variants came with EPS.
T8 = The 2nd facelift and current model.
TSSafar
post Jul 16 2019, 09:58 AM

Torrent Freak
908 posts

Almost confirm getting Ford WT, now waiting if any Merdeka promotion coming up.
incredibless
post Jul 17 2019, 11:56 AM

Getting Started
280 posts

Been comparing few pick-ups in the market. Eyes on new design Triton and 2.4 L-Edition. But only can afford the AT Premium. Any one have idea which is better? Of course, specs-wise the Hilux 2.4L Edition looks better but Triton AT-Premium has the looks of new design.

Any comments on this?

SilentForever
post Jul 17 2019, 04:32 PM

On my way
559 posts

QUOTE(incredibless @ Jul 17 2019, 11:56 AM)
Been comparing few pick-ups in the market. Eyes on new design Triton and 2.4 L-Edition. But only can afford the AT Premium. Any one have idea which is better? Of course, specs-wise the Hilux 2.4L Edition looks better but Triton AT-Premium has the looks of new design.

Any comments on this?
Depends on what u are looking for. If u want more features and performance, go for triton. But personally mitsubishi are built not as solid, the tranmission if I not mistaken might still be using jatco 6 speed tranmission which is just poorly made. ( Not 100% sure if they are still using jatco), 2.4 l edition less power but more reliable in terms of workhouse, but lack behind in certain features such as manual aircon, reflector headlights, cheaper spare parts. The triton however has at least projector headlights but same bulb drl if u are looking at AT Premium. Safety wise hilux is better. If it were me, I get the hilux, but if have to be triton, I check if it is jatco, if it is I rather get the manual.

I just checked on one article that mentions that the triton's tranmission is manufactured by aisin. If it is, depends on your preference I guess. But best to double check with mitsubishi.

This post has been edited by SilentForever: Jul 17 2019, 04:37 PM
SuperTuhan
post Jul 18 2019, 01:44 AM

Getting Started
97 posts

QUOTE(incredibless @ Jul 17 2019, 11:56 AM)

Any comments on this?
hilux is the winner
its slower then triton but good enough for u to speed on the road

Comfort wise u have to adjust your car tyre air to be not bouncy ride ... Hilux is very bouncy if u ride for first time

rear seat Triton win againts all other trucks but new hilux is also comfortable

anyhow for your info, new hilux is a thief magnet so u gotta be careful

sohailayhun
post Jul 18 2019, 05:26 PM

Getting Started
60 posts

user posted image

user posted image

plan to buy a cheapest old 4x4 , and convert it to 1jz brows.gif brows.gif
frozen7
post Jul 18 2019, 05:33 PM

Getting Started
173 posts

Seems like Dmax is the least favourite pickup among here. Lol
I wonder why Dmax sales better in Thailand (Top sales is between Hilux / Dmax)
My family own a Dmax (RT50) and Hilux Revo. I have been driving Dmax for 6 years (mileage clocked 170k+ up to now) So far touch wood no major problem occured on my Dmax, the biggest repair/upgrade cost is to replace the suspension (stock suspension is comfort/soft)
This truck is mainly for working purpose (carry some heavy load, go into construction site...)

The following are my own view comparing these 2 trucks,
Dmax Pro:
1, Fuel saving (the main sales point)
2, Low maintenance cost (SC major service cost around 1k)
3, Reliability is ok. Isuzu engine is reliable

Dmax Cons:
1, Slow pickup , lack of power ( i think this is the main reason turn people down after test drive, but there are a lot aftermarket piggyback ECU to raise the engine output)
2, Steering a bit heavy

Hilux Pro:
1, Much better pick up
2, Feel more solid, less body roll
3, Better handling

Hilux Cons:
1, Bumpy (the suspension very hard )

Anyway if i am not carrying heavy load or going into severe construction site, i wont go for pickup truck, i would go for SUV instead. More comfortable and you dont need to install deck cover/canopy to store anything behind. When i am going out with my family (with a baby), I would rather to drive my Fortuner.

This post has been edited by frozen7: Jul 18 2019, 05:34 PM
makky
post Jul 18 2019, 08:34 PM

Casual
307 posts

QUOTE(frozen7 @ Jul 18 2019, 06:33 PM)
Seems like Dmax is the least favourite pickup among here. Lol
I wonder why Dmax sales better in Thailand (Top sales is between Hilux / Dmax)
My family own a Dmax (RT50) and Hilux Revo. I have been driving Dmax for 6 years (mileage clocked 170k+ up to now) So far touch wood no major problem occured on my Dmax, the biggest repair/upgrade cost is to replace the suspension (stock suspension is comfort/soft)
This truck is mainly for working purpose (carry some heavy load, go into construction site...)

The following are my own view comparing these 2 trucks,
Dmax Pro:
1, Fuel saving (the main sales point)
2, Low maintenance cost (SC major service cost around 1k)
3, Reliability is ok. Isuzu engine is reliable

Dmax Cons:
1, Slow pickup , lack of power ( i think this is the main reason turn people down after test drive, but there are a lot aftermarket piggyback ECU to raise the engine output)
2, Steering a bit heavy

Hilux Pro:
1, Much better pick up
2, Feel more solid, less body roll
3, Better handling

Hilux Cons:
1, Bumpy (the suspension very hard )

Anyway if i am not carrying heavy load or going into severe construction site, i wont go for pickup truck, i would go for SUV instead. More comfortable and you dont need to install deck cover/canopy to store anything behind. When i am going out with my family (with a baby), I would rather to drive my Fortuner.
Feel more solid and less body roll ofcoz mean bumpy ride..change to bigger oil absorber will reduces the bumpy..

12 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0218sec    0.65    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 24th July 2021 - 10:54 PM