Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> 4x4 Pickup Truck (LYN Official Thread), We talk cock about man trucks!

views

TSSafar
post Jul 10 2019, 10:21 AM, updated 2y ago

Torrent Freak
908 posts

Hi Guys,

I checked around for 4x4 Pickup Truck discussion and mostly are old discussion on old model. Im looking to purchase one this or next month.
My usage mainly on road, 60-70% Highway and 40-30% normal road. I went for D-Max and Ranger Wildtrak, both of them seems fine however the Wildtrak 2.0 Bi Turbo seems better.
I wonder if anyone here driving that car. Also looking for some basic modification, not really of off road more for look.
Plus need advise on diesel type, I see some say better use Euro 5, not really sure what that mean, I use petrol car, so I know different between RON95 and RON97.

Hades76
post Jul 10 2019, 10:25 AM

On my way
501 posts

Since you like looks, Ranger Wildtrak is awesome. Looks the part. D Max very dated look.
lucifah
post Jul 10 2019, 10:42 AM

St. Fu
Group Icon
Staff
7,731 posts

QUOTE(Safar @ Jul 10 2019, 10:21 AM)
Hi Guys,

I checked around for 4x4 Pickup Truck discussion and mostly are old discussion on old model. Im looking to purchase one this or next month.
My usage mainly on road, 60-70% Highway and 40-30% normal road. I went for D-Max and Ranger Wildtrak, both of them seems fine however the Wildtrak 2.0 Bi Turbo seems better.
I wonder if anyone here driving that car. Also looking for some basic modification, not really of off road more for look.
Plus need advise on diesel type, I see some say better use Euro 5, not really sure what that mean, I use petrol car, so I know different between RON95 and RON97.
it depends on what is your main use

u want comfort? get the navara / x-class

u want off road capability? get the triton or hilux

u want resale value? hilux

u want best value? d-max

u want cheapest? Maxus pickup

u want best of the best? the WildTrak, just because of the powerful engine

but all these pickups will have bumpy rides at the back seat. just that navara will have the least bumpy ride of all.

MeToo
post Jul 10 2019, 10:48 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,921 posts

QUOTE(lucifah @ Jul 10 2019, 10:42 AM)
it depends on what is your main use

u want comfort? get the navara / x-class

u want off road capability? get the triton or hilux

u want resale value? hilux

u want best value? d-max

u want cheapest? Maxus pickup

u want best of the best? the WildTrak, just because of the powerful engine

but all these pickups will have bumpy rides at the back seat. just that navara will have the least bumpy ride of all.
XClass not sold here. Navara rear is not good unless its loaded, otherwise be careful.

What makes you say Triton/Hilux better at offroad?

Resale value Hilux yes, theft magnet also hilux.

What makes u say DMax best value?

Cheapest no comment, havent even heard of maxus.

Best Wildtrak is not correct. Its Raptor @ RM200,000. And its not because of the engine, go into one (either WT or Raptor) look at the interior refinement and you know why its best.
theanswer
post Jul 10 2019, 10:53 AM

Regular
1,024 posts

QUOTE(MeToo @ Jul 10 2019, 10:48 AM)
XClass not sold here. Navara rear is not good unless its loaded, otherwise be careful.

Best Wildtrak is not correct. Its Raptor @ RM200,000. And its not because of the engine, go into one (either WT or Raptor) look at the interior refinement and you know why its best.
i heard ford ranger offer better comfort. is it true?
MeToo
post Jul 10 2019, 10:56 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,921 posts

QUOTE(theanswer @ Jul 10 2019, 10:53 AM)
i heard ford ranger offer better comfort. is it true?
Most of all the new 4x4 models are fairly comfortable.

You will have to test drive them to arrive at theanswer for yourself.

Hilux/Dmax is seen to be at the lower end of the comfort scale.

Mitsu middle.

Ranger/Navara higher (becareful navara's rear is not using leaf ya, so keep in mind if you go around carrying 1~2tonne stuff)
lucifah
post Jul 10 2019, 11:03 AM

St. Fu
Group Icon
Staff
7,731 posts

QUOTE(MeToo @ Jul 10 2019, 10:48 AM)

i group together x-class and navara because they are structurally the same tongue.gif (inb4 merc fanboys flame grille me alive)

dmax best value because of the lowest price among all big brand trucks

ah... i was referring to raptor. i forgot the name saja. LOL. i tot they use the new wildtrak name

but seriously, the Ranger T6 is almost due for a new model. it's been around for more than 8 yrs already

so a new generation will be coming sooner or later i guess
MeToo
post Jul 10 2019, 11:11 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,921 posts

QUOTE(lucifah @ Jul 10 2019, 11:03 AM)
i group together x-class and navara because they are structurally the same  tongue.gif (inb4 merc fanboys flame grille me alive)

dmax best value because of the lowest price among all big brand trucks

ah... i was referring to raptor. i forgot the name saja. LOL. i tot they use the new wildtrak name

but seriously, the Ranger T6 is almost due for a new model. it's been around for more than 8 yrs already

Wah lau... u lump Merc with Nissan... mana boleh?! Merc owner's club go picket infront of your house nanti...

I agree Ranger is facelift after facelift after facelift... but they milking it for all its worth.. the new one is slated to come out only in 2022..just in time for me to change car biggrin.gif
wkc5657
post Jul 10 2019, 11:20 AM

Casual
490 posts

QUOTE(Safar @ Jul 10 2019, 10:21 AM)
Hi Guys,

You just got to test drive all of those that you shortlisted. If you care about the passenger comfort also, please get your self at the rear seat while your companion test drives the truck. Trucks are built differently, so the way it handles is different from a car/suv.

Euro5 in essence is a cleaner choice of diesel meaning better injector/cylinder cleanliness, slightly higher cetane rating (very slightly better performance), cleaner exhaust (smell and the amount of smoke wise). A go to choice despite the 10cent premium compared to regular diesel.

QUOTE(lucifah @ Jul 10 2019, 11:03 AM)

Since raptor range launched, no need for 3.2L diesel anymore. Road tax wise also not advantageous in our market. Unless you really like the character of this 5 cylinder diesel engine (damn rare), most will just go for the regular 2.2L. Not sure weather still got stock for this 3.2L T6 lying around somewhere. In ford malaysia's website, this T6 no longer officially listed., If you still like this engine, go for the highest spec mazda bt50, basically the same powertrain and chassis, just the exterior different.
lucifah
post Jul 10 2019, 11:26 AM

St. Fu
Group Icon
Staff
7,731 posts

funny, i was talking to a friend about the absence of a pickup truck talk in LYN

so i'm making this the official pickup truck thread in LYN, so any suggestions for names?

lucifah
post Jul 10 2019, 11:29 AM

St. Fu
Group Icon
Staff
7,731 posts

QUOTE(wkc5657 @ Jul 10 2019, 11:20 AM)
You just got to test drive all of those that you shortlisted. If you care about the passenger comfort also, please get your self at the rear seat while your companion test drives the truck. Trucks are built differently, so the way it handles is different from a car/suv.

Euro5 in essence is a cleaner choice of diesel meaning better injector/cylinder cleanliness, slightly higher cetane rating (very slightly better performance), cleaner exhaust (smell and the amount of smoke wise). A go to choice despite the 10cent premium compared to regular diesel.
Since raptor range launched, no need for 3.2L diesel anymore. Road tax wise also not advantageous in our market. Unless you really like the character of this 5 cylinder diesel engine (damn rare), most will just go for the regular 2.2L. Not sure weather still got stock for this 3.2L T6 lying around somewhere. In ford malaysia's website, this T6 no longer officially listed., If you still like this engine, go for the highest spec mazda bt50, basically the same powertrain and chassis, just the exterior different.
the new wildtrak uses the new 2.0L panther engine

the older 2.2L is puma engine

3.2L i think already phased out. it suffers the same fate with triton's 3.2 and hilux 3.0 - expensive road tax

lucifah
post Jul 10 2019, 11:32 AM

St. Fu
Group Icon
Staff
7,731 posts

QUOTE(MeToo @ Jul 10 2019, 11:11 AM)
Wah lau... u lump Merc with Nissan... mana boleh?! Merc owner's club go picket infront of your house nanti...

I agree Ranger is facelift after facelift after facelift... but they milking it for all its worth.. the new one is slated to come out only in 2022..just in time for me to change car  biggrin.gif
LOL. the signature rear door of the x-class screams NISSAN all the way

and x-class uses renault petrol engine.... so where's the merc? laugh.gif

for ranger, the only weakness is SDAC. u know, i know. i afraid i kena LOD if talk too much brows.gif
MeToo
post Jul 10 2019, 11:58 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,921 posts

QUOTE(lucifah @ Jul 10 2019, 11:32 AM)
LOL. the signature rear door of the x-class screams NISSAN all the way

and x-class uses renault petrol engine.... so where's the merc?  laugh.gif

for ranger, the only weakness is SDAC. u know, i know. i afraid i kena LOD if talk too much  brows.gif
All SC is same shit wan la. SDAC is not the best among them, but also not the worst.

Actually all the experience I have with SDAC so have been fairly decent/neutral.
lucifah
post Jul 10 2019, 01:10 PM

St. Fu
Group Icon
Staff
7,731 posts

QUOTE(MeToo @ Jul 10 2019, 11:58 AM)
All SC is same shit wan la. SDAC is not the best among them, but also not the worst.

Actually all the experience I have with SDAC so have been fairly decent/neutral.
toyota is quite good. free food, free car wash.

MeToo
post Jul 10 2019, 02:18 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,921 posts

QUOTE(lucifah @ Jul 10 2019, 01:10 PM)
toyota is quite good. free food, free car wash.
If FOod + Car wash is the benchmark, confirm SDAC is good liao laugh.gif laugh.gif
TSSafar
post Jul 10 2019, 02:19 PM

Torrent Freak
908 posts

After read some of feedback, I plan to go with Ranger Wildtrak 2.0 Bi Turbo. I wonder if i drive to Thailand can get cheaper accessories. Car due next month or so. I was told this engine are same as the Raptor 2.0 but different accessories. Raptor are more for offroad from what i heard. I went 20-30 min test driving with WT and it seems much better handling. Some truck still using hydrolic system for steering , like D-Max but WT using electric. Also i saw one power plug at the cargo area and it seems using different socket, anyone know what type of socket is it and what is it called.
lucifah
post Jul 10 2019, 04:13 PM

St. Fu
Group Icon
Staff
7,731 posts

QUOTE(Safar @ Jul 10 2019, 02:19 PM)
After read some of feedback, I plan to go with Ranger Wildtrak 2.0 Bi Turbo. I wonder if i drive to Thailand can get cheaper accessories. Car due next month or so. I was told this engine are same as the Raptor 2.0 but different accessories. Raptor are more for offroad from what i heard. I went 20-30 min test driving with WT and it seems much better handling. Some truck still using hydrolic system for steering , like D-Max but WT using electric. Also i saw one power plug at the cargo area and it seems using different socket, anyone know what type of socket is it and what is it called.
yes, same engine with raptor, just diff trim level

and yes, that's what most pickup owners do, drive their pickup to thailand, buy & install accessory there, and come back

don't buy accessory and bring back - you will be TAXED. LOL

the trick is buy & install there to avoid being taxed.

lucifah
post Jul 10 2019, 04:14 PM

St. Fu
Group Icon
Staff
7,731 posts

QUOTE(MeToo @ Jul 10 2019, 02:18 PM)
If FOod + Car wash is the benchmark, confirm SDAC is good liao  laugh.gif  laugh.gif
hahah... i must try next time
entire
post Jul 10 2019, 04:21 PM

Getting Started
110 posts

I'm using navara, so far so good and very comfy, im not using offroad and bring heavy goods too often. But of cos if money not a problem I would choose raptor or wildtrack.
MeToo
post Jul 10 2019, 04:22 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,921 posts

QUOTE(Safar @ Jul 10 2019, 02:19 PM)
12V 3 pin plug like yoru house socket.

So you can plug in your radio, rice cooker, spotlight etc when you go offroading.

12 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0198sec    0.51    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 24th July 2021 - 11:28 PM