Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed
3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Laptop AMD vs Intel chip, Discussion and opinion (Enquiries/Recommendations)

views

TSPharamain
post Jul 5 2019, 03:58 PM, updated 2y ago

Getting Started
193 posts

Wish to ask regarding the performance and your opinion between Intel and AMD chip. From what I check with Passmark score check and other benchmark by reviewers, AMD score are relatively lower than Intel In the test which require more than 1 core.

Aside from relatively cheap, is there worth to getting an AMD chip when it comes to laptop? Nowadays hardly any software or game would run on single Core.

user posted image
*Data collected for recent use CPU and got collected from passmark*

This post has been edited by Pharamain: Jul 5 2019, 04:00 PM
Karvrenko
post Jul 5 2019, 04:01 PM

Getting Started
75 posts

You want to use for what?

LeeroyJenkinss
post Jul 5 2019, 04:03 PM

Getting Started
126 posts

QUOTE(Pharamain @ Jul 5 2019, 03:58 PM)
Wish to ask regarding the performance and your opinion between Intel and AMD chip. From what I check with Passmark score check and other benchmark by reviewers, AMD score are relatively lower than Intel In the test which require more than 1 core.

Aside from relatively cheap, is there worth to getting an AMD chip when it comes to laptop? Nowadays hardly any software or game would run on single Core.

user posted image
*Data collected for recent use CPU and got collected from passmark*
Yes there are still worth due if you specifically set the CPU core to single channel , but not all software or game applicable for this and that is why AMD right now is relative cheaper than Intel. But right now lets wait and see what AMD might have which might better than Intel
TSPharamain
post Jul 5 2019, 04:05 PM

Getting Started
193 posts

QUOTE(Karvrenko @ Jul 5 2019, 04:01 PM)
You want to use for what?
Reference for near future purchase, some laptop already beginning to use AMD chip, which I also curious on the performance and the such between Intel and AMD.
Zot
post Jul 5 2019, 04:11 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,948 posts

QUOTE(Pharamain @ Jul 5 2019, 04:05 PM)
Reference for near future purchase, some laptop already beginning to use  AMD chip, which I also curious on the performance and the such between Intel and AMD.
The new Ryzen series are relatively faster than Intel and Intel has yet to counter. New chip also use less power. Look at recent articles on Internet.
LeeroyJenkinss
post Jul 5 2019, 04:56 PM

Getting Started
126 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Jul 5 2019, 04:11 PM)
The new Ryzen series are relatively faster than Intel and Intel has yet to counter. New chip also use less power. Look at recent articles on Internet.
Yup, the new parts for the desktop is good, but right now i do not think AMD on laptop really have an impact or performance, looking at the passmark, the Rayzen 7 is far behind in term of benchmark number
mrcg
post Jul 5 2019, 05:00 PM

Getting Started
216 posts

what disappointing is the 3rd gen series AMD laptop still using Zen+ chipset...maybe next year when they're introduce zen2 into laptop then i will consider.
Zot
post Jul 5 2019, 05:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,948 posts

QUOTE(LeeroyJenkinss @ Jul 5 2019, 04:56 PM)
Yup, the new parts for the desktop is good, but right now i do not think AMD on laptop really have an impact or performance, looking at the passmark, the Rayzen 7 is far behind in term of benchmark number
The laptop CPU is coming too. Intel is postponing the 10nm CPU while Ryzen is killing Intel on power consumption with 7nm CPU. Laptop is about low power usage.
keyser soze
post Jul 5 2019, 05:08 PM

Casual
410 posts

2D autocad will benefit from strong single core performance. Recently bought a Rayzen 5 Thinkpad for my engineer. He is very happy with the performance while doing 2D cad. The most important is it is cheaper than intel i5.
Eluuna
post Jul 5 2019, 05:24 PM

Getting Started
110 posts

For single core software usage it is nice, but no for a gaming laptop if you are looking for a gaming laptop with AMD it is a bad choice which nowadays game and most software are going dual core.

Designing wise is different story though.

This post has been edited by Eluuna: Jul 5 2019, 05:26 PM
<-- no content -->
ZM Fong
post Jul 5 2019, 05:46 PM

Laptop enthusiast
7,253 posts

Intel mobile chips are still better in terms of performance...AMD current mobile chips are based on low power chip, even the 35w 3550h/3750h. They are indeed slightly efficient, but who cares if you cannot deliver more performance

Disappointing to see how good is Ryzen in desktop chips but not in mobile chips...even don't have 6c/8c mobile chips until now...c'mon AMD
LeeroyJenkinss
post Jul 5 2019, 05:55 PM

Getting Started
126 posts

QUOTE(ZM Fong @ Jul 5 2019, 05:46 PM)
Intel mobile chips are still better in terms of performance...AMD current mobile chips are based on low power chip, even the 35w 3550h/3750h. They are indeed slightly efficient, but who cares if you cannot deliver more performance

Disappointing to see how good is Ryzen in desktop chips but not in mobile chips...even don't have 6c/8c mobile chips until now...c'mon AMD
Agreed with you, i am definitely hype for the AMD on desktop, but laptop were a huge letdown, checked some other performance by reviews, the score is too huge

Intel Score:
user posted image

AMD Score:
user posted image

*Both score from https://laptopmedia.com/top-laptop-cpu-ranking/*
ZM Fong
post Jul 5 2019, 06:48 PM

Laptop enthusiast
7,253 posts

QUOTE(LeeroyJenkinss @ Jul 5 2019, 05:55 PM)
Agreed with you, i am definitely hype for the AMD on desktop, but laptop were a huge letdown, checked some other performance by reviews, the score is too huge
The situation in mobile CPUs is 2 rotten apples choose 1...Intel chips are faster but hotter...AMD don't have high end mobile chips despite good efficiency (3rd gen in mobile chips still no news)
Eterman
post Jul 5 2019, 08:15 PM

Casual
478 posts

amd desktop apu and mobile chips is one generation behind the desktop cpu despite similar naming series of 3000 series. Depending on how one looks at mobile amd chips, i would say they are at least competent now, compared to the old a6-a12 series.

the lower amd tdp is certainly a welcome, with most laptop designs today seems to be going towards style and thin first. When reading around various forums, when someone post a problem about high temperature on intel laptops, there is always one reply that ask the thread starter to undervolt cpu, or even worse, set performance profile to 99% to disable turboboost.

as mentioned in this thread, there are only 4c/8t chips from amd, no 6c or 8c mobile chips like intel, unless it is a 8c desktop chip like the phased-out asus laptop and acer predator laptop that is not available here, hope there will be >4c chips when they bring 7nm to laptops.

ZM Fong
post Jul 5 2019, 08:24 PM

Laptop enthusiast
7,253 posts

QUOTE(Eterman @ Jul 5 2019, 08:15 PM)
amd desktop apu and mobile chips is one generation behind the desktop cpu despite similar naming series of 3000 series. Depending on how one looks at mobile amd chips, i would say they are at least competent now, compared to the old a6-a12 series.

the lower amd tdp is certainly a welcome, with most laptop designs today seems to be going towards style and thin first. When reading around various forums, when someone post a problem about high temperature on intel laptops, there is always one reply that ask the thread starter to undervolt cpu, or even worse, set performance profile to 99% to disable turboboost.

as mentioned in this thread, there are only 4c/8t chips from amd, no 6c or 8c mobile chips like intel, unless it is a 8c desktop chip like the phased-out asus laptop and acer predator laptop that is not available here, hope there will be >4c chips when they bring 7nm to laptops.
TDP means nothing - need to look at actual power consumption

You can't undervolt AMD mobile chips for now which means no further tuning

3000 series mobile is actually 2000 series desktop...yeah it's confusing
LeeroyJenkinss
post Jul 8 2019, 09:55 AM

Getting Started
126 posts

QUOTE(ZM Fong @ Jul 5 2019, 08:24 PM)
TDP means nothing - need to look at actual power consumption

You can't undervolt AMD mobile chips for now which means no further tuning

3000 series mobile is actually 2000 series desktop...yeah it's confusing
They just use the older desktop model and make it into a mobile version, i rather the laptop get a slightly hotter which can be settle with good cooling or external cooling than getting the current AMD mobile chips. and the prices not really a different too

This post has been edited by LeeroyJenkinss: Jul 8 2019, 05:48 PM
HiAwak
post Jul 8 2019, 03:19 PM

Getting Started
103 posts

i'm actually curious about the amd processor on laptop tho, the numbers of test results are really nice but when it comes to real experience, how was it? I had an old laptop with amd processor, its burnnnn as hell.
ZM Fong
post Jul 8 2019, 03:41 PM

Laptop enthusiast
7,253 posts

QUOTE(HiAwak @ Jul 8 2019, 03:19 PM)
i'm actually curious about the amd processor on laptop tho, the numbers of test results are really nice but when it comes to real experience, how was it?  I  had an old laptop with amd processor, its burnnnn as hell.
The new 3500u/3700u is decent but battery life is a hit or miss (better than 2500u/2700u in general). Also depends on model - cooling solution and BIOS/firmware implementation

Reviewed the Ideapad S540 14 not too long ago - very good for the price, only major downside is battery life. I doubt normal users can see a difference in everyday use compared to Intel counterpart

This post has been edited by ZM Fong: Jul 8 2019, 03:43 PM
Eluuna
post Jul 9 2019, 03:35 PM

Getting Started
110 posts

QUOTE(HiAwak @ Jul 8 2019, 03:19 PM)
i'm actually curious about the amd processor on laptop tho, the numbers of test results are really nice but when it comes to real experience, how was it?  I  had an old laptop with amd processor, its burnnnn as hell.
If you are looking for better performance, skip AMD mobile at the moment and see whether the newer one works well.
storm88
post Jul 9 2019, 04:50 PM

~UncleSam Ready to Rolls~
5,594 posts

AMD chips are basically intel's i5.

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0277sec    0.28    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 22nd April 2021 - 05:00 AM