Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Speakers recommendation RM3-4k (Hi-Fi)

views

TSA.B.D.
post Jul 5 2019, 10:11 AM, updated 4 months ago

Regular
1,953 posts

Hello all LYN audiophiles.

I'm looking for bookshelf/standmount speaker recommendations around the RM3-4k range. New or used.

For listening to a wide variety of music from piano, orchestra, to noisy rock like nirvana and SP. Room is 12X12 feet.

Thank you smile.gif

EDIT: bought ProAc Studio 118, RM5k+

This post has been edited by A.B.D.: Jul 8 2019, 09:18 PM
nycx_12
post Jul 5 2019, 10:20 AM

36 posts

bump
raizil
post Jul 5 2019, 10:20 AM

Getting Started
226 posts

mission bookshelf.
any model would be great i think.
arc_archive
post Jul 5 2019, 10:30 AM

Getting Started
259 posts

Try audition a Sonus Faber. Nowadays u can get a bookshelf of that brand around 4k-ish. Ive heard that the speaker tunes to classical music or instument quite good. But dunno how it sound of other types of genre.
TSA.B.D.
post Jul 5 2019, 10:46 AM

Regular
1,953 posts

thank you guys, please keep the recommendations coming.
voscar
post Jul 5 2019, 11:39 AM

On my way
628 posts

QUOTE(A.B.D. @ Jul 5 2019, 10:11 AM)

I'm looking for bookshelf/standmount speaker recommendations around the RM3-4k range. New or used.

For listening to a wide variety of music from piano, orchestra, to noisy rock like nirvana and SP. Room is 12X12 feet.

Thank you  smile.gif
What amplifier you using? Got subwoofer pre-out?
Maybe Mission QX-2 bookshelf speaker, then add subwoofer in future if you like more bass cool2.gif
Edifier
post Jul 5 2019, 11:43 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Store Representative
6,860 posts

QUOTE(A.B.D. @ Jul 5 2019, 10:11 AM)

Thank you  smile.gif
You can give Airpulse A300 a try.
ktek
post Jul 5 2019, 01:22 PM

wings wings
8,085 posts

space a bit tight for floor stand. izit empty square room
TSA.B.D.
post Jul 5 2019, 02:00 PM

Regular
1,953 posts

QUOTE(voscar @ Jul 5 2019, 11:39 AM)
What amplifier you using? Got subwoofer pre-out?
Maybe Mission QX-2 bookshelf speaker, then add subwoofer in future if you like more bass  cool2.gif
cambridge audio azur 340a 40wpc @ 8 ohm, no subwoofer out, thanks for the suggestion will check it out.
TSA.B.D.
post Jul 5 2019, 02:01 PM

Regular
1,953 posts

QUOTE(ktek @ Jul 5 2019, 01:22 PM)
space a bit tight for floor stand. izit empty square room
yeah that's why i specified standmount. put on stands. quite empty, not a bedroom.
krayden
post Jul 5 2019, 02:22 PM

Casual
356 posts

I have very little experience with home hifi but this sparked my interest lately. Might be a bit underkill for yiur budget.

https://youtu.be/lGBE6sPyt8M

Klipsch rp600m 2k ish
VagueConcerns
post Jul 6 2019, 01:48 PM

Enthusiast
870 posts

I'd recommend the Mission already mentioned (QX-2), but also the KEF Q350. The KEF's bass doesn't dig down as deep, but both the imaging and sound quality are difficult to overlook. The only caveat is it's rear firing port. You'd have to get it away from the wall by at least 3 inches, which eats up space. They come with foam plugs for the port for placing the speakers closer to the wall, but that will dampen the bass significantly.

But, I'd like to argue for slim floor standers. In many cases, stand mounts eat up as much floor space as a floor standing speaker. They look slimmer, but you don't actually save any floor space. You'd want a wall mount for actual space savings. They also usually have deeper bass and have more sensitivity than the bookshelf equivalent.
There are some decent ones, such as the Acoustic Energy 103. I've seen them somewhere before, for about RM3k. They're a bit less than 8 inches wide and under 12 inches deep.
TSA.B.D.
post Jul 7 2019, 12:31 AM

Regular
1,953 posts

hey guys thanks for the recommendations. i listened to kef q150, q350, monitor audio bronze 2, elac debut b6.2, elac unifi ub5 but didn't like them enough to part with the money, although they were all really good speakers. didn't get a chance to listen to klipsch rp600m though.

i liked sonus faber's entry level chameleon b but the bass was weak and it wasn't designed for that anyway. next level models were too expensive for me. and i guess they are also designer furniture grade speakers so some of the purchase price goes into that.

in the end i stretched beyond my budget and bought display unit proac studio 118. they are entry level proac but has the type of clarity and bass that i was searching for. and i'm not really an audiophile so it's going to be good enough for me for a very long time.

these speakers will replace mordaunt-short ms20i, now 20+ years old, which to my ears are very clear on instruments and vocals and has imaging and separation to the point different sounds and their position could easily be identified on certain tracks i heard. maybe a lot of speakers do this, but i'm not exposed enough. bass was not too insufficient especially in a small room, but when compared to tower speakers it became clear a lot of low end part of the music are missing. they were not expensive speakers, around rm900 in the mid-late 90s so imo they're really impressive for what they cost.
ktek
post Jul 7 2019, 07:35 PM

wings wings
8,085 posts

pic pic
voscar
post Jul 7 2019, 10:56 PM

On my way
628 posts

QUOTE(A.B.D. @ Jul 7 2019, 12:31 AM)
hey guys thanks for the recommendations. i listened to kef q150, q350, monitor audio bronze 2, elac debut b6.2, elac unifi ub5 but didn't like them enough to part with the money, although they were all really good speakers. didn't get a chance to listen to klipsch rp600m though.

i liked sonus faber's entry level chameleon b but the bass was weak and it wasn't designed for that anyway. next level models were too expensive for me. and i guess they are also designer furniture grade speakers so some of the purchase price goes into that.

in the end i stretched beyond my budget and bought display unit proac studio 118. they are entry level proac but has the type of clarity and bass that i was searching for. and i'm not really an audiophile so it's going to be good enough for me for a very long time.

these speakers will replace mordaunt-short ms20i, now 20+ years old, which to my ears are very clear on instruments and vocals and has imaging and separation to the point different sounds and their position could easily be identified on certain tracks i heard. maybe a lot of speakers do this, but i'm not exposed enough. bass was not too insufficient especially in a small room, but when compared to tower speakers it became clear a lot of low end part of the music are missing. they were not expensive speakers, around rm900 in the mid-late 90s so imo they're really impressive for what they cost.
Gorgeous! Enjoy your new speaker. rclxms.gif
I guess soon you will upgrade your amp? biggrin.gif
TSA.B.D.
post Jul 8 2019, 09:06 PM

Regular
1,953 posts

QUOTE(ktek @ Jul 7 2019, 07:35 PM)
pic pic

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
TSA.B.D.
post Jul 8 2019, 09:14 PM

Regular
1,953 posts

QUOTE(voscar @ Jul 7 2019, 10:56 PM)
I guess soon you will upgrade your amp?  biggrin.gif
thanks, i am! thumbup.gif

you're right, amp should be the next upgrade, any suggestions?

experienced a huge change in the past moving from old NAD 310 20wpc, CA Azur 340A 40wpc, maybe look for 60wpc amp next

but for now i will enjoy as it is, take time to ponder and listen to lots of songs with them
TSA.B.D.
post Jul 8 2019, 09:17 PM

Regular
1,953 posts

i'm now reading audiokarma.org thread about this model and learning, will look at other forums too, they can write and describe so well
voscar
post Jul 8 2019, 10:53 PM

On my way
628 posts

QUOTE(A.B.D. @ Jul 8 2019, 09:17 PM)
i'm now reading audiokarma.org thread about this model and learning, will look at other forums too, they can write and describe so well
audiodrom.net review quite into real life listening experience, too bad only limited speakers and amp reviewed.
TSA.B.D.
post Jul 15 2019, 10:20 PM

Regular
1,953 posts

QUOTE(voscar @ Jul 7 2019, 10:56 PM)
I guess soon you will upgrade your amp?  biggrin.gif
Just got the Yamaha r-n803 after reading praises about it online. It’s time for me to join the wireless generation.

For those who can afford, Cambridge audio cxn v2 is a very nice streamer.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0364sec    4.98    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 14th November 2019 - 08:13 PM