8 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Are you holding on to buy a car? Why?

views

Bjorn1688
post Jul 1 2019, 04:31 PM

Regular
1,901 posts

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ Jul 1 2019, 10:00 AM)
Curiosly wanted to know if any LYN members are holding on to car purchase at the moment and what are they waiting for, what holds them back, what car are they waiting for and why?

I ask this because I am due to have a car change in a year or two, and would be in the same predicament.

Guess I am just gathering thoughts from you guys.
I held off on buying any new cars and instead opted for 2nd hand cars.

Last year bought a Kia Sportage as there was both a Raya rebate and GST 0% to it at the same time. Thought it was a very good deal and with a newborn baby decided it was more practical for us to have such a car rather than relying on our "eccentric" cars.

Earlier this year, decided it was time let a few cars go as we did not have time to maintain them and we had to be realistic, got rid of our 13 year old Fiat which ran fine but becoming difficult to get parts for. We bought a Kia Picanto which did not last too long as some idiot sent it to car heaven.

We had decided we would get a pickup. However first we decided we would sell off all 5 of our cars first. It took awhile to sell and we relied only on the Sportage.

It wasn't really practical for us to rely on 1 car and keep to Grab and SoCar when we needed another car. Worked out to be more expensive for us.

Therefore we started looking at pickups and held off on it as it wasn't viable for us to own a pickup as we did not carry nearly as much goods or material as we did people.

Did entertain the thought that we should get an exciting car but in the end practicality trumped and we bought a Peugeot 3008 at a discount + free maintenance for 3 years.

theanswer
post Jul 1 2019, 05:23 PM

Enthusiast
876 posts

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ Jul 1 2019, 01:59 PM)
But do you feel safe at all in so old a car?
still feel safe(a new replacement definitely better) but i have another barely new car (primary car). so need to wait 1 or 2 yrs before any decision can be made.
theanswer
post Jul 1 2019, 05:31 PM

Enthusiast
876 posts

QUOTE(Bjorn1688 @ Jul 1 2019, 04:31 PM)
I held off on buying any new cars and instead opted for 2nd hand cars.

Last year bought a Kia Sportage as there was both a Raya rebate and GST 0% to it at the same time. Thought it was a very good deal and with a newborn baby decided it was more practical for us to have such a car rather than relying on our "eccentric" cars.

Earlier this year, decided it was time let a few cars go as we did not have time to maintain them and we had to be realistic, got rid of our 13 year old Fiat which ran fine but becoming difficult to get parts for. We bought a Kia Picanto which did not last too long as some idiot sent it to car heaven.

We had decided we would get a pickup. However first we decided we would sell off all 5 of our cars first. It took awhile to sell and we relied only on the Sportage.

It wasn't really practical for us to rely on 1 car and keep to Grab and SoCar when we needed another car. Worked out to be more expensive for us.

Therefore we started looking at pickups and held off on it as it wasn't viable for us to own a pickup as we did not carry nearly as much goods or material as we did people.

Did entertain the thought that we should get an exciting car but in the end practicality trumped and we bought a Peugeot 3008 at a discount + free maintenance for 3 years.
so in the end..how many cars u got? sweat.gif
Bjorn1688
post Jul 1 2019, 05:51 PM

Regular
1,901 posts

QUOTE(theanswer @ Jul 1 2019, 05:31 PM)
so in the end..how many cars u got?  sweat.gif
At one point 5 that could run and 4 that was grounded due to waiting for me to fix it.
gahpadu
post Jul 1 2019, 05:55 PM

Enthusiast
817 posts

Waiting for more discount. Target at least 15% discount. Dont care about RV
HippyTony
post Jul 1 2019, 07:37 PM

On my way
584 posts

I’m an old petrol head. I scrapped one 30+ years car, 6 years ago. Now I have a 12 year old mini, still well maintained but the last 2 years spent nearly 10k for repairs and parts replacement. Wanted to replace it with P2 Axia but decided to use that money to maintain the mini. Not sure whether it’s a wise decision.

Previously I changed car every 8-10 years now retired so can’t afford it anymore.
makky
post Jul 1 2019, 08:47 PM

Getting Started
266 posts

Last year bought a toyota, paying it monthly was fine but servicing it every 3 month was troublesome..Sometime i only run 1k km within the 3 month since i got many car back home... Don't buy toyota or honda, so strict on service but if wanted to claim warranty will takes ages..
post Jul 1 2019, 09:15 PM

33 posts

Curiosly wanted to know if any LYN members are holding on to car purchase at the moment and what are they waiting for, what holds them back, what car are they waiting for and why?

I ask this because I am due to have a car change in a year or two, and would be in the same predicament.

Waiting for Proton X50, heard that they are going to announce it in December 2019, and probably can get the car as early as Jan 2020.
Harold2009
post Jul 1 2019, 09:36 PM

Casual
470 posts

Holding at least 5 years or more from now, at JB, got an Axia E and Fz150 with houses already collecting dusts in Bukit Indah, no peoples stay there, my cousins and relatives already move to Singapore and Aussie last 2017, I got a dmax, hilux and LC135 in Sabah, next months will be sitting on garage collecting dust for along time and no one will drive it. Move to Singapore got job in shipping company that invited by my cousin for 3 years contract. I bring my 2 members from neighbor too. Here in Malaysia Palm oil plantation no hope liau, already cut down the trees and clean up land, next plan in future will be built houses for rental purposes, and setup motobikes workshop business. The future may be all electrics stuff in transportation.
changleonghao
post Jul 1 2019, 09:39 PM

Getting Started
104 posts

KUALA LUMPUR: The International Trade and Industry Ministry (Miti) might be looking towards a reduction in excise duties for vehicles, which will, in turn, result in a reduction in car prices.

While there may be less revenue for the government from a reduction in excise duties, this can be compensated by a larger sales volume.

Deputy International Trade and Industry Minister Ong Kian Ming said this would be a win-win situation for Malaysians, industry players and the government.

“Of course, there is a cost-benefit involved here in the sense that you have more tax reduction in the excise duty. The government may collect less per unit, but whatever revenue lost by the Finance Ministry can be regained by the increase in the sales volume because car prices would be lower.

“The original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) get to sell more cars, consumers get to benefit from lower car prices and the Finance Ministry gets to benefit as well, when it gets to collect more excise tax as a whole because of increased volumes. This is something we want to work towards for all car models,” he told a press conference.

Ong added that industry players would give their estimates on their expected increase in the sales volume as a result of more exemptions in the excise duty.

He said local suppliers and vendors to the OEMs would be able to benefit more from higher volumes when there are more completely-knocked-down (CKD) activities.

The government wants to encourage the development of the local vendor ecosystem, which is also why the Industrial Linkage Programme (ILP) and customised incentives are in place.

The ILP is an incentive programme that seeks to encourage local OEMs to procure locally produced parts and components and to build the capacity of local suppliers.

OEMs can also apply for customised incentives for energy-efficient vehicles (EEV) for a higher ILP excise duty reduction.

“The local activity in the automotive sector would be very little if most of the units brought in are completely-built-up (CBU),” Ong said.

An automotive industry observer said this would likely benefit local manufacturers as compared to imported cars, as this would help CKD programmes in the country.

He said this would help lower car prices, on top of the reduction in prices since the transition from the zero-rated goods and services tax to the sales and service tax, where the likes of Perodua, Mazda and Toyota models saw price drops.

An analyst said details on the excise duty, ILP and customised incentives are still cloudy, but is of the opinion that further incentives are likely to be given for EEV.

“This is still a very sensitive topic. We prefer to wait for the National Automotive Policy review that will be released by the end of this quarter before we make any conclusions,” said the analyst.

Another analyst is of the view that the reduction in the excise duty would not impact sales volume or the government’s coffers, and even if it did, it might be hardly felt.

“The prices of Perodua and Proton might not reduce that much from this, but it would be more favourable for the Japanese brands,” he said.

Ong was speaking to reporters after announcing that the Automotive Business Development Committee (ABDC), which is chaired by Miti, will increase the frequency of its monthly meetings from once to twice a month to reduce the turnaround time of processing automotive incentive applications.

The dates have already been identified and it will be circulated to the automotive industry.

This was decided in a meeting between Miti and the Malaysian Automotive Association (MAA) on Wednesday.

It was also agreed that Miti would come up with an enhanced process flow and client charter of ABDC to ensure timeliness and greater transparency of the process in evaluating incentive applications.

The cost and benefit analysis (CBA) for EEV customised incentive applications will also be reviewed to ensure a fair and equitable evaluation process.

Ong said the CBA for the ILP, which is done by the Malaysia Automotive, Robotics and IoT Institute or MARii, is quite complicated and needs to be more transparent, explained in greater detail and updated to take into account new conditions in the car manufacturing and automotive sector.

“It’s a process of refining and updating the CBA. We want to make it as clear as possible to the industry players, so that the ABDC process can be sped up and the issues that have been raised by MAA in terms of delays that had occurred last year would be minimised, moving forward,” said Ong.

He added that it would take about two days to process and approve the ILP at the ABDC stage before a letter is sent to the Finance Ministry. As for customised incentives, it will take about a week.

MAA president Datuk Aishah Ahmad, who was also present yesterday, said the association hoped that request for incentives to get pricing approvals would be sped up in future.

“We were really waiting for many models to get the pricing approvals last year. Stocks have built up and there are some members who have 12,000 units in the yard.

“Moving forward, I’m sure all these issues that we had previously faced would be solved,” she said.

Aishah told a press conference on Jan 16 that the Finance Ministry had channelled decision-making processes related to the ILP to the ABDC and claimed that the ministry had been delaying its approvals for new car models’ pricing, even after the ABDC had decided on the incentives.

this is somethg that i'm waiting for. any time now.
legioss
post Jul 1 2019, 09:54 PM

Casual
460 posts

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ Jul 1 2019, 01:59 PM)
But do you feel safe at all in so old a car?
i do have this concern but so far couldn't find anything that check all the boxes, let me share my dilemma in upgrading from my alza. it's a great mpv with lots of interior space and there are not many mpv out there that can match this car

the exora is spacious but only has two a/b so no better than my alza, same goes to brv

the aruz is not really spacious, it has less headroom compared to my alza and the seats doesn't fold flat

so i push up my budget a bit and we have avanza and innova, well, they are actually truck converted to mpv, you need to climb a bit to go in and again, less headroom compared to my alza

the serena is almost perfect, except for the cvt gearbox and i don't like the captain seat, i have 3 kids and i want all of them to sit at the 2nd row

the outlander is worth considering but actually the 2nd row seat is quite small, in fact, it's smaller than the alza seat

so in the end, i will stick to my alza until p2 come up with a replacement model with 7 a/b perhaps

theanswer
post Jul 2 2019, 08:38 AM

Enthusiast
876 posts

QUOTE(HippyTony @ Jul 1 2019, 07:37 PM)
I’m an old petrol head. I scrapped one 30+ years car, 6 years ago. Now I have a 12 year old mini, still well maintained but the last 2 years spent nearly 10k for repairs and parts replacement. Wanted to replace it with P2 Axia but decided to use that money to maintain the mini. Not sure whether it’s a wise decision.

Previously I changed car every 8-10 years now retired so can’t afford it anymore.
if u can pay cash for the axia..even used one is better than used mini. cheaper to repair and maintain.
theanswer
post Jul 2 2019, 08:42 AM

Enthusiast
876 posts

QUOTE(legioss @ Jul 1 2019, 09:54 PM)
i do have this concern but so far couldn't find anything that check all the boxes, let me share my dilemma in upgrading from my alza. it's a great mpv with lots of interior space and there are not many mpv out there that can match this car

the exora is spacious but only has two a/b so no better than my alza, same goes to brv

the aruz is not really spacious, it has less headroom compared to my alza and the seats doesn't fold flat

so i push up my budget a bit and we have avanza and innova, well, they are actually truck converted to mpv, you need to climb a bit to go in and again, less headroom compared to my alza

the serena is almost perfect, except for the cvt gearbox and i don't like the captain seat, i have 3 kids and i want all of them to sit at the 2nd row

the outlander is worth considering but actually the 2nd row seat is quite small, in fact, it's smaller than the alza seat

so in the end, i will stick to my alza until p2 come up with a replacement model with 7 a/b perhaps
tbh alza is a good concept. not too big..not too small (for a small sized family).
HippyTony
post Jul 2 2019, 08:45 AM

On my way
584 posts

QUOTE(theanswer @ Jul 2 2019, 08:38 AM)
if u can pay cash for the axia..even used one is better than used mini. cheaper to repair and maintain.
Sorry didn’t write clearly. We always have 2 cars until I retired. I bought the mini new, the last 2years started to give problems, the aircon was the first to go, thermostat & pump leakage and others. I’m considering to replace the mini with Axia.

This post has been edited by HippyTony: Jul 2 2019, 08:51 AM
Zot
post Jul 2 2019, 08:49 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,003 posts

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ Jul 1 2019, 01:51 PM)
Which one you got your eyes on?
Nothing special. Just small car for city drive during weekend.
legioss
post Jul 2 2019, 09:24 AM

Casual
460 posts

QUOTE(theanswer @ Jul 2 2019, 08:42 AM)
tbh alza is a good concept. not too big..not too small (for a small sized family).
the amazing thing about alza is that it has a very high percentage of wheelbase over total length, this means the overall length of the car is maximized for interior space, many cars or mpvs out there often boast better legroom when in actual fact, con us with smaller seats to create the legroom which has less thigh support, do take note of this when reviewing cars

This alza direct competitor is the suzuki ertiga where there is already replacement model out in other markets but i don't see any new Toyota passo sette / Daihatsu boon lumina out yet
19 Degree South
post Jul 2 2019, 10:56 AM

Casual
361 posts

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ Jul 1 2019, 02:06 PM)
Cut sugar, cut chicken, cut salt?
Lol! Cut all still couldn't afford new car! My myvi still running good. laugh.gif
vernon_91
post Jul 2 2019, 11:28 AM

Getting Started
86 posts

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ Jul 1 2019, 01:50 PM)
Must be buying very high in demand car, what could it be?
Honda cry.gif
unitron
post Jul 2 2019, 11:32 AM

W1(R)3d
2,327 posts

My 3 main reasons... not enough money to buy, not enough money for maintenance, not enough money to pay road tax/insurance

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ Jul 1 2019, 02:07 PM)
I don't feel safe in a 7 year old car to be honest. Every day
No airbags, abs, traction control, run flat tires, TPMS ? What safety features your car is lacking ?
My oldest car... already 14 yrs has adequate safety for me... only got airbags and ABS.

6UE5T
post Jul 2 2019, 12:42 PM

Casual
461 posts

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ Jul 1 2019, 02:07 PM)
I don't feel safe in a 7 year old car to be honest. Every day

Your Peugeot is it? Both my cars are 11 years old already and I feel perfectly safe with them.

8 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0464sec    2.34    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 16th October 2019 - 11:01 PM