Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

WTA A7iii or Z6. Want to use for pet photoshoot.

views

TSmeowku
post Jun 30 2019, 08:41 PM, updated 5y ago

12 posts

Hello all. I need to buy new camera that serve purpose as photoshoot and also videoshoot. Will give more detail below.

After countless of researching from youtube views and many more I still could not concluded what i need to buy. So I am really appreciate all the sifus here can help me to give some feedback.

Camera/Lens I currently have:
- nikon d5100 + kit lens
- nikkor 50mm 1.8g

Camera that I am eyeing for:
- Nikon Z6 / body or with kit lens
- Sony A7iii / body only or with kit lens

Lens that in my radar
- Tamron 24-70mm f2.8

Accessories that I currently have:
- Godox SL60W x2
- Yongnuo YN608 Ring Light

Accessories that need to add/purchase:
- TBD

Some other details:
1) Budget: Around 10k
2) Looking for mirrorless system
____

What is it for?
1) Mainly for cat photoshoot
2) Product photoshoot
3) Videoshoot

____

My current mind say, just pick up z6 body only since i already have the 50mm 1.8g and use the ftz adapter. And also add on 1 24-70mm f2.8 used. I do not know man, i am at lost and im not professional in this area. I really appreciate all the input i can get.

Thank you and have a good day

huislaw
post Jul 1 2019, 12:17 PM

Regular
1,343 posts

I think Pet eyes detection can be useful for cat shooting.
TSmeowku
post Jul 1 2019, 01:49 PM

12 posts

QUOTE(huislaw @ Jul 1 2019, 12:17 PM)
I think Pet eyes detection can be useful for cat shooting.
thank you for your input
catsper
post Jul 1 2019, 04:34 PM

Elite
1,228 posts

Reading review is one thing, have you try the actual body and lens. You might want to have a feel how the animal eye AF works, and if the tools are right for you.
DS_Legacy
post Jul 2 2019, 12:33 AM

Photography is Love
1,501 posts

Feel free to try both of them out. Sony system has cat/dog eyes detection which is gonna be helpful for pet photography. However, sony sytem is quite expensive considering their better lenses usually cost a bomb.

I currently own a Z6 and if you don't mind the noisy auto focus of the 50mm 1.8G via FTZ adapter, you are good to go. With the FTZ adapter, you still get 3 axis stabilization on f mount lenses. So, it's good for video even when you are just going to handheld your camera for videography.

I am not sure on what aperture you use to shoot on pet, me myself uses F2.8 and above. Even though, Z6 doesn't have eye AF for animals, the touch screen focus is suffice and good enough for me to use. Unless your pet is very hyperactive type then, it's very hard for you to get a nice in-focus shot of its eyes.

In short,

1. Go for Z6 if you do not shoot very wide open aperture on animals.
2. Go with Sony if you can afford expensive lenses and get to use the eye AF on animals.

Hope this helps. thumbup.gif

TSmeowku
post Jul 2 2019, 09:03 PM

12 posts

QUOTE(catsper @ Jul 1 2019, 04:34 PM)
Reading review is one thing, have you try the actual body and lens. You might want to have a feel how the animal eye AF works, and if the tools are right for you.
Done playing with A7iii at Sony the curve. Will try z6 this week. Thank your for your kind advice.
TSmeowku
post Jul 2 2019, 09:04 PM

12 posts

QUOTE(DS_Legacy @ Jul 2 2019, 12:33 AM)
Feel free to try both of them out. Sony system has cat/dog eyes detection which is gonna be helpful for pet photography. However, sony sytem is quite expensive considering their better lenses usually cost a bomb.

I currently own a Z6 and if you don't mind the noisy auto focus of the 50mm 1.8G via FTZ adapter, you are good to go. With the FTZ adapter, you still get 3 axis stabilization on f mount lenses. So, it's good for video even when you are just going to handheld your camera for videography.

I am not sure on what aperture you use to shoot on pet, me myself uses F2.8 and above. Even though, Z6 doesn't have eye AF for animals, the touch screen focus is suffice and good enough for me to use. Unless your pet is very hyperactive type then, it's very hard  for you to get a nice in-focus shot of its eyes.

In short,

1. Go for Z6 if you do not shoot very wide open aperture on animals.
2. Go with Sony if you can afford expensive lenses and get to use the eye AF on animals.

Hope this helps. thumbup.gif
Thank you this helps me alot
bdrc
post Jul 10 2019, 10:44 AM

Regular
1,626 posts

If you dont mind using adapters, there are plenty of them can be adapted to Sony's E mount system. You can get LA-EA3 or 4 adapters for Sony's A mount lenses that's comparatively cheap as DSLR counterparts, with autofocus and IBIS from the body, still performing well.

However to get the full benefit of a system, native lens is preferred. In mirrorless area the Sony is actually priced much more competitive and the available options is wider.

I'd suggest you test and hold both cameras on hand to see if you prefer the handling while using them, and the future prospect of using it long run.

You can consider smaller APSC format offered by Fuji or Sony as well, if size and weight is of concern.

This post has been edited by bdrc: Jul 10 2019, 10:47 AM
TrialGone
post Jul 10 2019, 11:56 AM

On my way
603 posts

Both system is fine and produce similar good quality image. If talking about short term investment, Sony might be better as they are earlier in mirror less race and already got tons of 3rd party supports. Their mirror less system also got tons of features that nikon and Canon may find lacking since they are still new in the race.

Also don't rely too much on features like eye detect unless u really need it for streetphotography, sports or videography. Look at ur current work flow and see if the system improves it, rather than adding a feature that you may never use in the end. Do u really need high frame rate, high MPs count, really sharp expensive lens for a mere cat shot that u may end up just posting on FB?
Aufrusten
post Aug 23 2019, 02:03 AM

47 posts

If you already have a Nikon lens, naturally its a good progression to get the Nikon Z6 as a step up for your gear upgrade.

However if you have the budget and don't mind changing your overall lens system from Nikon to Sony, then its good to invest into Sony for its video capability investment.

The Nikon Z6 is still new to the videoshooting/cinematography scene, as it is their one of their mirrorless full frame line up that is catering for this purpose. However I do lookout for their further development into it from the videoshooting side of it.

Anyway, best you try out both of it to judge which one you feel comfortable using it. This part is important as well, from usability and function. Cheers!
khelben
post Aug 23 2019, 04:56 PM

I love my mum & dad
6,024 posts

Sony's FE ecosystem is massive with so many much cheaper third party lenses.

Can save a lot of money on those lenses.

RM3k for 28-75 f2.8

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0115sec    0.41    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:28 AM