Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Maxis home fibre sifus pls help, Just installed wanna check on smthg

views

TSkyogre
post Jun 25 2019, 04:04 PM, updated 5y ago

Getting Started
217 posts

Dear maxis sifus of lolyat,

So i just installed maxis 30mbps fibre + astro iptv thingy at my parents house.

Heres the hardware:
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

I Was wondering why still use old technicolor, isnt already upgraded to tplink ?

huge Thanks, much gratitude sifus
alfredhow78
post Jun 25 2019, 05:16 PM

Casual
358 posts

I think that your package is only 30mbps and thus doesn't need more advanced router and sometimes depend on installer's stock availability too.

I have maxis fibre customer who use tplink and netis
blacktubi
post Jun 25 2019, 07:06 PM

-
Group Icon
Elite
7,508 posts

It depends on their inventory and what’s available at the time.

The newer NETIS and TP-Link Archer C5V isn’t that much better.

You are better off buying your own router.
TSkyogre
post Jun 25 2019, 10:56 PM

Getting Started
217 posts

QUOTE(alfredhow78 @ Jun 25 2019, 05:16 PM)
I think that your package is only 30mbps and thus doesn't need more advanced router and sometimes depend on installer's stock availability too.

I have maxis fibre customer who use tplink and netis
QUOTE(blacktubi @ Jun 25 2019, 07:06 PM)
It depends on their inventory and what’s available at the time.

The newer NETIS and TP-Link Archer C5V isn’t that much better.

You are better off buying your own router.
ah ha, i get it already. i dont think i need a new router but i expect at least the equipmnt provided is uniform throughout, easier to troubleshoot no? and at least tplink got dual band, which is nice :V

thank you sifu notworthy.gif notworthy.gif
blacktubi
post Jun 26 2019, 01:24 AM

-
Group Icon
Elite
7,508 posts

QUOTE(kyogre @ Jun 25 2019, 10:56 PM)
ah ha, i get it already. i dont think i need a new router but i expect at least the equipmnt provided is uniform throughout, easier to troubleshoot no? and at least tplink got dual band, which is nice :V

thank you sifu notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif
A better router can give you stronger WiFi coverage and a more stable performance.

The Thomson is notoriously poor in WiFi stability with really poor latency in a high noise environment.

I used to have it before TIME is available.
SilentVampire
post Jun 26 2019, 09:13 AM

Networking Enthusiast
5,706 posts

I would change if I were you. I absolutely hated Maxis stock Thomson routers. It was very bad.
TSkyogre
post Jun 26 2019, 07:20 PM

Getting Started
217 posts

QUOTE(SilentVampire @ Jun 26 2019, 09:13 AM)
I would change if I were you. I absolutely hated Maxis stock Thomson routers. It was very bad.
maxis technician told me only that model compatible with astro iptv, fml sideways :V
(its my parents hous, i hope thats enuf for what old pipul surf these days)
SilentVampire
post Jun 26 2019, 10:44 PM

Networking Enthusiast
5,706 posts

QUOTE(kyogre @ Jun 26 2019, 07:20 PM)
maxis technician told me only that model compatible with astro iptv, fml sideways :V
(its my parents hous, i hope thats enuf for what old pipul surf these days)
Yes unfortunately. If it is only casual browsing, should be okay.
Ckmwpy0370
post Jun 28 2019, 02:27 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,772 posts

Hi need sifu advise and our experience with Maxis home fibre Package
Receives call from Maxis advise me the change to Unifi 500Mbps to Maxis home fibre Package either 300Mbps or 500Mbps at RM149 (cheaper cost) or RM219 respectively.
Now my worry is how is the performance of wifi speed if get 300Mbps package ?

ryzane P
post Jul 2 2019, 08:08 AM

Probation
4 posts

QUOTE(Ckmwpy0370 @ Jun 28 2019, 02:27 PM)
Hi need sifu advise and our experience with Maxis home fibre Package
Receives call from Maxis advise me the change to Unifi 500Mbps to Maxis  home fibre Package either 300Mbps or 500Mbps at RM149 (cheaper cost) or RM219 respectively.
Now my worry is how is the performance of wifi speed if get 300Mbps package ?
I also receive a similar call as you, was wondering about it and I thought it was a scam call at first as the caller was asking for personal information through calls, but I verified it through maxis live chat. And if you are going to subscribe to this Maxis Home Fibre plan, you are going to start a new "2 years contract" with Maxis, please be aware of that.

As far as I know, the person told me that Maxis is renting the port from TM, so they are going to change the modem/ router only, and he also mentioned the technician will go and measure every part of your room to ensure your house is able to receive the internet evenly, lols.

If they are using the same port, I guess the speed might be similar, but as of now after the unifi turbo upgrade to 500Mpbs, My maximum wifi speed can be achieved is only 150Mbps, I'm not sure if it was limited by the old router D-Link DIR-850L or not, even though that person told me it was bottleneck by it.
Ckmwpy0370
post Jul 2 2019, 08:47 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,772 posts

QUOTE(ryzane @ Jul 2 2019, 08:08 AM)
I also receive a similar call as you, was wondering about it and I thought it was a scam call at first as the caller was asking for personal information through calls, but I verified it through maxis live chat. And if you are going to subscribe to this Maxis Home Fibre plan, you are going to start a new "2 years contract" with Maxis, please be aware of that.

As far as I know, the person told me that Maxis is renting the port from TM, so they are going to change the modem/ router only, and he also mentioned the technician will go and measure every part of your room to ensure your house is able to receive the internet evenly, lols.

If they are using the same port, I guess the speed might be similar, but as of now after the unifi turbo upgrade to 500Mpbs, My maximum wifi speed can be achieved is only 150Mbps, I'm not sure if it was limited by the old router D-Link DIR-850L or not, even though that person told me it was bottleneck by it.
yes my wifi speed can hit 180Mbps sometimes.
any sifu can advise was it because above issue? bottleneck?
SilentVampire
post Jul 2 2019, 10:38 AM

Networking Enthusiast
5,706 posts

QUOTE(ryzane @ Jul 2 2019, 08:08 AM)

It is the router issue. Change router, and click link on my signature to read more.

QUOTE(Ckmwpy0370 @ Jul 2 2019, 08:47 AM)
yes my wifi speed can hit 180Mbps sometimes.
any sifu can advise was it because  above issue? bottleneck?
Yes, you will need a better router, assuming that you are using stock router from TM or Maxis.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0136sec    0.17    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:45 PM