Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Which 2nd hand is good for college students

views

TSMarcusYTH P
post Jun 24 2019, 12:18 PM, updated 5y ago

Probation
8 posts

Hi I'm a student and I wanted to get a 2nd hand car but recently I have a dilemma between choosing a 2nd hand Vios 2007 20 k(family relative selling) and a 2014 V spec Honda city which is 52k but for the Vios I will be changing once I graduate but for the city I might use until I graduate and able to afford new one
apendots
post Jun 24 2019, 12:29 PM

Getting Started
219 posts

Buy protong iswara or wira cash la
Hades76
post Jun 24 2019, 12:30 PM

On my way
650 posts

Get the cheapest car and use / maintain it.

You need to learn how to manage expenses for a car ( unless you got deep pockets ).

Once grad then go got own stable income, then go for a car you like and afford.
Yveatel
post Jun 24 2019, 12:35 PM

Enthusiast
879 posts

get 2010 Myvi, still ok wan, buy cash. save petrol. wira minum petrol. so, all in all, get old car which save your monthly fuel expenses

Yveatel
post Jun 24 2019, 12:35 PM

Enthusiast
879 posts

get 2010 Myvi, still ok wan, buy cash. save petrol. wira minum petrol. so, all in all, get old car which save your monthly fuel expenses

TSMarcusYTH P
post Jun 25 2019, 10:57 AM

Probation
8 posts

QUOTE(Hades76 @ Jun 24 2019, 12:30 PM)
Get the cheapest car and use / maintain it.

You need to learn how to manage expenses for a car ( unless you got deep pockets ).

Once grad then go got own stable income, then go for a car you like and afford.
Ya but the my family vios 2007 has engine problems that might not last until I graduate
FlamingR
post Jun 25 2019, 11:06 AM

Casual
324 posts

QUOTE(MarcusYTH @ Jun 25 2019, 10:57 AM)
Ya but the my family vios 2007 has engine problems that might not last until I graduate
2nd hand car can be challenging for buyers with limited experience on cars, of course if you know the seller it will be a plus because you will be able to know the history and/or the problems with the car then you can slash the price, get a reliable car mechanic friend that can check the car for you before you buy. Maintenance is an issue with second hand cars unless you got a good workshop you can go to that won't cut throat or simply swap parts out.
TSMarcusYTH P
post Jun 25 2019, 01:57 PM

Probation
8 posts

QUOTE(FlamingR @ Jun 25 2019, 11:06 AM)
2nd hand car can be challenging for buyers with limited experience on cars, of course if you know the seller it will be a plus because you will be able to know the history and/or the problems with the car then you can slash the price, get a reliable car mechanic friend that can check the car for you before you buy. Maintenance is an issue with second hand cars unless you got a good workshop you can go to that won't cut throat or simply swap parts out.
Thankss but I think my parents decide to get a new car instead of wasting the money maintaing an old car
FlamingR
post Jun 25 2019, 02:42 PM

Casual
324 posts

QUOTE(MarcusYTH @ Jun 25 2019, 01:57 PM)
Thankss but I think my parents decide to get a new car instead of wasting the money maintaing an old car
Great, if your parents can help you out then a new car will certainly ease many headaches as got warranty to cover. Not just money to maintain, but time also because old car don't know when will breakdown..
TSMarcusYTH P
post Jun 27 2019, 01:16 PM

Probation
8 posts

QUOTE(FlamingR @ Jun 25 2019, 02:42 PM)
Great, if your parents can help you out then a new car will certainly ease many headaches as got warranty to cover. Not just money to maintain, but time also because old car don't know when will breakdown..
Thankss but do you have any suggestions for a new car? Brand? Resale value? Reliability?
FlamingR
post Jun 27 2019, 02:51 PM

Casual
324 posts

QUOTE(MarcusYTH @ Jun 27 2019, 01:16 PM)
Thankss but do you have any suggestions for a new car? Brand? Resale value? Reliability?
If you're talking about resale value and reliability definitely choose Toyota as it is a well known brand for those two categories. I do have friends and cousins that owns Toyota from old to new model also very minimal issues compared with other brands (no car is perfect).
TSMarcusYTH P
post Jun 28 2019, 09:21 AM

Probation
8 posts

QUOTE(FlamingR @ Jun 27 2019, 02:51 PM)
If you're talking about resale value and reliability definitely choose Toyota as it is a well known brand for those two categories. I do have friends and cousins that owns Toyota from old to new model also very minimal issues compared with other brands (no car is perfect).
How about Honda ? I know Toyota is quite reputable but I still like Honda design more hahahah
FlamingR
post Jun 28 2019, 11:40 AM

Casual
324 posts

QUOTE(MarcusYTH @ Jun 28 2019, 09:21 AM)
How about Honda ? I know Toyota is quite reputable but I still like Honda design more hahahah
Haha, I am driving a Honda HRV 2015 now and I can tell you.. The design is nice and all but there are many problems like body sound that is not easily resolved unless you visit the right SC. Lucky for me is just the body sound and even though got mechanical issue but the mechanical part was replaced during warranty period so now is ok.

I followed closely on FB groups and LYN forums for Honda HRV and I saw there are many users facing similar issues because mass production cars are bound to face those issues, is just whether the SC can solve it and your expectations.

I felt that Toyota design is a bit mundane and dull for younger generation, but their cars are more reliable as compared to Honda statistically. Now, I am not saying that Honda is all bad because I enjoyed my ride too, with good set of tires it can run quiet and you'll feel confident at cornering and braking, safety wise still generally ok for public.
TSMarcusYTH P
post Jun 28 2019, 04:34 PM

Probation
8 posts

QUOTE(FlamingR @ Jun 28 2019, 11:40 AM)
Haha, I am driving a Honda HRV 2015 now and I can tell you.. The design is nice and all but there are many problems like body sound that is not easily resolved unless you visit the right SC. Lucky for me is just the body sound and even though got mechanical issue but the mechanical part was replaced during warranty period so now is ok.

I followed closely on FB groups and LYN forums for Honda HRV and I saw there are many users facing similar issues because mass production cars are bound to face those issues, is just whether the SC can solve it and your expectations.

I felt that Toyota design is a bit mundane and dull for younger generation, but their cars are more reliable as compared to Honda statistically.  Now, I am not saying that Honda is all bad because I enjoyed my ride too, with good set of tires it can run quiet and you'll feel confident at cornering and braking, safety wise still generally ok for public.
My father also driving a HRV as company car and I used to drive it occasionally but I don't hear any abnormalities but maybe I'm just not alert about it and ya I like the interior and the exterior of a Honda cars but the latest Vios design turn me off although it has good handling , FC , updated interior, 7 air bags. But anyway thanks for your reply it helped me understand more 😂

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0146sec    0.26    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:23 PM