Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Annual Leave like Marriage.., Marriage got no right for leave now?

views

TSsyusham431
post Jun 24 2019, 11:29 AM, updated 5y ago

Casual
342 posts

HI...I work in an X company for almost 2 years now...I'm not a permanent staff though...contract that renews yearly...and I am getting married next month..

I don't know how much leave I should take as now I just know that the company doesn't entitle to give us employee any marriage leave according to the

Employment Act 1955.....and as my salary is low enough, now I'm going to have to take unpaid leave for my marriage day?? If I take a week leave sure my salary

will be cut off to nothing....what should I do? sad.gif mega_shok.gif

Really feel like slaves right now vmad.gif vmad.gif Its supposed to be the happiest day in my life and now this just ruins it... ranting.gif ranting.gif
LarryPizzaGuy
post Jun 24 2019, 11:41 AM

/k 20k Club (Verified)
879 posts

Congratulations on the wedding! smile.gif

Have you tried asking your HR department?

The only question you need to ask right now is "How many days of leave (or marriage leave) does my company offers?"

To which, only the HR department knows.

Don't waste time assuming or speculating, just ask directly to the person in charge of HR.

Once you have your answer, you can plan your career path next.
tomato people
post Jun 24 2019, 11:44 AM

Tomato fan
1,612 posts

QUOTE(LarryPizzaGuy @ Jun 24 2019, 11:41 AM)

The only question you need to ask right now is "How many days of leave (or marriage leave) does my company offers?"

Don't waste time assuming or speculating, just ask directly to the person in charge of HR.

This...no need gor guessing game
TSsyusham431
post Jun 24 2019, 11:54 AM

Casual
342 posts

QUOTE(LarryPizzaGuy @ Jun 24 2019, 11:41 AM)

Already ask HR...They said no married leave were given....They ask me to take unpaid leave instead.....my salary is low enough and now they want to cut it?? mad.gif mad.gif

I just renew my contract for a year and my AL is limited like only entitle to take 1 day and a half per month...really sucks right now! NO HONEYMOON FOR ME!
nebula87
post Jun 24 2019, 12:00 PM

Fg = mg
1,308 posts

QUOTE(syusham431 @ Jun 24 2019, 11:54 AM)
Already ask HR...They said no married leave were given....They ask me to take unpaid leave instead.....my salary is low enough and now they want to cut it??  mad.gif  mad.gif

I just renew my contract for a year and my AL is limited like only entitle to take 1 day and a half per month...really sucks right now! NO HONEYMOON FOR ME!
The time you sign the employment letter, I think you should well aware of that.

Just bear with it.
pakdamek
post Jun 24 2019, 12:04 PM

On my way
646 posts

Already ask HR...They said no married leave were given....They ask me to take unpaid leave instead.....my salary is low enough and now they want to cut it??  mad.gif  mad.gif

just get married lor. no need for honeymoon. From your story, it seems that you also can't afford a honeymoon.....
calvin_ng
post Jun 24 2019, 12:14 PM

TeamCity | HCC | Insighters
1,576 posts

Got annual leave maaa unless you dry up all AL then you ask for it

TSsyusham431
post Jun 24 2019, 12:16 PM

Casual
342 posts

QUOTE(pakdamek @ Jun 24 2019, 12:04 PM)
just get married lor. no need for honeymoon. From your story, it seems that you also can't afford a honeymoon.....
AT least just give me a decent time off with my wife sad.gif sad.gif
ray_WD
post Jun 24 2019, 12:41 PM

31 posts

You should've demanded to be converted to permanent since you've been serving as contractor for long enough.. AL all used up? if yes, then need to blame yourself buddy..
honsiong
post Jun 24 2019, 12:49 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,131 posts

QUOTE(nebula87 @ Jun 24 2019, 12:00 PM)
The time you sign the employment letter, I think you should well aware of that.

Just bear with it.
Pretty much this, learn the lesson and don't make the same mistake OP.
the7signals
post Jun 24 2019, 06:05 PM

On my way
585 posts

Nowadays, for many company, annual leave is no longer an entitlement but only a mere privilege.
inquiries
post Jun 25 2019, 12:51 AM

Getting Started
263 posts

1 and a half day per month is equivalent to 18 days per year... Your annual leaves are already much better than many companies out there though
TSsyusham431
post Jun 25 2019, 08:48 AM

Casual
342 posts

QUOTE(ray_WD @ Jun 24 2019, 12:41 PM)
You should've demanded to be converted to permanent since you've been serving as contractor for long enough.. AL all used up? if yes, then need to blame yourself buddy..
No lah, My annual Leave still got...but limited to use as I said only can use 1 day and a half per month..more than that cut salary...
TSsyusham431
post Jun 25 2019, 08:51 AM

Casual
342 posts

QUOTE(inquiries @ Jun 25 2019, 12:51 AM)
1 and a half day per month is equivalent to 18 days per year... Your annual leaves are already much better than many companies out there though
Yes but what's the point if we cant use it....only can use one day per month, more than that cut salary doh.gif doh.gif The contract said the annual leave has to be earned but yet my contract ends after a year and if got extra annual leave cannot take it to next year due to renew a new contract every year..its a loophole that the company used.... mad.gif treated people like slaves...
flumx91
post Jun 25 2019, 08:53 AM

Getting Started
203 posts

QUOTE(syusham431 @ Jun 25 2019, 08:48 AM)
No lah, My annual Leave still got...but limited to use as I said only can use 1 day and a half per month..more than that cut salary...
For example if this month you doesn't take any AL, next month you can take 3 days right? Or every month you had taken those 1 and half day AL entitled to you.?

The marriage leave is solely depending on the company AFAIK. Too bad your current company doesn't give this to their employee.
TSsyusham431
post Jun 25 2019, 08:57 AM

Casual
342 posts

QUOTE(flumx91 @ Jun 25 2019, 08:53 AM)
For example if this month you doesn't take any AL, next month you can take 3 days right? Or every month you had taken those 1 and half day AL entitled to you.?

The marriage leave is solely depending on the company AFAIK. Too bad your current company doesn't give this to their employee.
Yes...that's true also but with my current conditions I am busy with my wedding preparation it is with photo-shoots and door gifts to be handled to a photographer...of course I had to take many leaves before the wedding...so now am in a tight shoe as it is.. cry.gif cry.gif
flumx91
post Jun 25 2019, 09:01 AM

Getting Started
203 posts

QUOTE(syusham431 @ Jun 25 2019, 08:57 AM)
Yes...that's true also but with my current conditions I am busy with my wedding preparation it is with photo-shoots and door gifts to be handled to a photographer...of course I had to take many leaves before the wedding...so now am in a tight shoe as it is..  cry.gif  cry.gif
sad.gif Nothing much can be done then. Include the 3 and half days of unpaid leave into your marriage budget laa. Try see if it is still within your initially located budget and have enough money until your next salary. BTW, congrats bro for your up coming marriage.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0125sec    0.35    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:22 PM