4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

News Chapter One: The Malaysian Mule, Interesting story

views

TSSpectreoutreach
post Jun 24 2019, 08:34 AM, updated 5y ago

Enthusiast
856 posts

IN a crowded shopping mall in Kuala Lumpur, 16-year-old Shirley* (not her real name) met with two men she had never seen in her life. They gave her a flight ticket to Hong Kong, and RM2,000 in spending money.A friend she had met on Facebook, 15 years old at the time, had arranged the trip, telling her it was a free holiday. He had gone several times before, and even brought souvenirs back for her.

On the morning of her flight, one of the men showed up again and gave her and another fellow traveller a pair of shoes each. They were asked to wear them to Hong Kong.

Hours later, her life as she knew it was over. After arriving at Hong Kong International Airport, she was picked out for a body search, and 700 grams of heroin were found in the soles of the shoes.

For Shirley’s parents back in Malaysia, the nightmare was only just beginning. For nearly two months, they had no idea what had happened to her.

The last time they saw Shirley, their only child, she was begging them to let her go to Hong Kong with her friends. She was only supposed to be gone for three days.

image: https://www.thestar.com.my/~/media/online/2...829&w=391&la=en

Her parents searched everywhere – the airport, the police, hospitals – and found nothing. They couldn’t eat or sleep, and yet, as the owners of a small business, they had to continue working each day to survive.

And then came a phone call which gave them fear and relief in equal measure. It was from Hong Kong Correctional Services – their daughter was facing over 20 years in prison on drug trafficking charges.

Ever since that moment, Shirley’s parents have been working frantically and desperately to prove their daughter's innocence.

But Shirley is not alone. In the past year, nearly 30 young Malaysians – some still teenagers – have been arrested in Hong Kong for being drug mules on behalf of international syndicates; and experts say the arrest numbers are just a fraction of those who actually make it through.

With drug production in South-East Asia’s infamous “Golden Triangle” region hitting record highs in the past year, the number of mules being recruited to transport drugs could grow even higher across Asia, and Malaysia – the region’s low-cost airline hub – appears to be the perfect transit country.

Drug syndicates operating in Malaysia have been using Facebook pages and WeChat groups with devastating effect, luring impressionable young people with “paid holidays” (like the one Shirley went for) or part-time courier jobs. Some openly say the job involves drugs.

If the mules get arrested, they are left to rot in prison while the syndicates get off scot-free. All communications are done using fake profiles on chat apps, so the recruiters can’t be traced.

After receiving a tip-off from a lawyer and a prison chaplain in Hong Kong, investigative journalists from R.AGE started looking into this increase in drug mule activity and working with the families of the arrested mules to find out more about the syndicates.

Through its investigations in Malaysia and Hong Kong alone, the journalists were able to uncover syndicates which were sending mules to Vietnam, China, South Korea, Taiwan, the Middle East, Australia, and even as far as Brazil and Peru.

The team then went undercover, posing as potential drug mules to meet with the syndicates’ recruiters, in hopes of exposing their tactics – which range from friendly recruitment to brutal physical force.

Little did they know, their investigations would eventually help expose a dangerous drug trafficking network, with connections to a dealer in Hong Kong.

But it all started with a series of prison visits in Hong Kong.

Shirley, now 18, told R.AGE her story from behind a glass panel at a Hong Kong prison. She was supposed to be graduating high school this year.

Her Facebook page is full of photos of her and her friends from school. None of them know what happened. Only her parents and a few close relatives were clued in.

“I told her not to go,” said Shirley’s mother, her voice trembling as she spoke from their home, in a small town two hours south of Kuala Lumpur.

They haven’t moved anything in Shirley’s room, the bigger of the two rooms in their home. It’s also the only one with a window, so the parents offered it to her.

“She’s such a sweet child – her grandmother’s favourite, and popular with all her schoolmates – but she started mixing with these ‘friends’ on Facebook, and now they’ve ruined her life.

“She begged me to let her go with them. I felt bad because we never had the money to bring her for a holiday overseas, but I still said no. In the end, we just couldn’t stop her,” said the mother.

Her parents, too, had never been on a plane. Despite surviving on a combined RM3,000 a month, they spent almost all their savings making two trips to see Shirley in Hong Kong, desperate to find evidence that could help her case before she is sentenced.

“I can’t sleep. I can’t eat. I just cry myself to sleep every night thinking about her,” said the mother.

“Just one trip – her first time on a plane,” said her father ruefully. “Look what it has done to us.”

Shirley has not heard from the 15-year-old friend who recruited her. He was on the same trip, but on an earlier flight. As far as she knows, he’s back in Malaysia, safe and sound.

Other mules tell us it’s a common diversionary tactic – keep the authorities busy with one or two arrests, while the majority pass through.

“I believe I was set up (to be arrested),” said Shirley. “I was the one to take the fall. Why else would they only plant 700g on me? That seems like a very small amount.”

Proving that in court, however, seemed an almost impossible task for her parents. The syndicate had burned all traces of their involvement, and the parents didn’t have enough money to hire a lawyer.

Thankfully, help was about to arrive from an unlikely source.

* All names have been changed to protect the identity of the families involved. Read the next chapter tomorrow in The Star and at rage.my/drugtrade.

PREVIEW OF CHAPTER TWO:

The Drug–busting Priest

(out tomorrow in The Star)

IN an incredibly small apartment overlooking Hong Kong’s infamous Temple Street, Australian missionary and prison chaplain Father John Wotherspoon, 72, is working against time to help Shirley and other drug mules who he believes are innocent pawns in the drug syndicates’ evil game.

He has followed the trail of evidence provided by imprisoned drug mules to Colombia, Brazil, Tanzania, Kenya, China, Thailand, and more, where he conducts his own undercover operations to expose the “big fish” – suspected drug lords – to local authorities.

And now, he has set his sights on Malaysia.

Read more at https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2019...Q5gsCBkzZzMB.99

seather
post Jun 24 2019, 08:38 AM

xXxXxXxXx
1,292 posts

darwin award winner...

but alas.. better education, enforcement & parenting will reduce this..
wotvr
post Jun 24 2019, 08:43 AM

Getting Started
177 posts

Nothing is free
feekle
post Jun 24 2019, 08:45 AM

Bibo ergo sum!
1,922 posts

That's sad. But she should have known better.
TSSpectreoutreach
post Jun 24 2019, 08:48 AM

Enthusiast
856 posts

QUOTE(feekle @ Jun 24 2019, 08:45 AM)
That's sad. But she should have known better.
just 15 plus i don't recall got any awareness campaign to inform the public about the danger of being drug mule
nebula87
post Jun 24 2019, 08:55 AM

Fg = mg
1,308 posts

It's easier nowadays to target those IG "Syok Sendiri" influencers

Ask them whether can go to HK to promote a hotel...they definitely will go without doubts.
Eurobeater
post Jun 24 2019, 08:56 AM

Kancil Dorifto!
1,184 posts

Didn't get parents ever teach her to never accept things from strangers?

Lain kali, ppl should be taught to never attempt to carry things for each other during plane trips. If need be, always check the item carefully.
Chowda
post Jun 24 2019, 08:58 AM

Getting Started
86 posts

15 years old... If it were my daughter I made police report already diu
ApocalypseSoon
post Jun 24 2019, 08:59 AM

Getting Started
209 posts

Many many years back, i taking a bus from KL to Ipoh, then an Ah Beng asked me to help him carried a parcel to Ipoh . He himself did not board the bus. I asked him to get lost. From the way he talked & behave I suspected he have done that countless time to bus passenger.
nate_nightroad
post Jun 24 2019, 09:03 AM

Endless numbered days...
3,537 posts

Maaaan, this is the reality of it.
takadanicklagi
post Jun 24 2019, 09:10 AM

Getting Started
124 posts

QUOTE(Eurobeater @ Jun 24 2019, 08:56 AM)
Didn't get parents ever teach her to never accept things from strangers?

Lain kali, ppl should be taught to never attempt to carry things for each other during plane trips. If need be, always check the item carefully.
My parents taught me never carry things for anybody in the airport. Not even your a granny even if he cry and beg whatever.

Friends also sorry la

SUSgogo2
post Jun 24 2019, 09:12 AM

gogo2
All Stars
18,672 posts

Should let our kid watch all drug mule movie
party
post Jun 24 2019, 09:12 AM

Enthusiast
755 posts

QUOTE(seather @ Jun 24 2019, 08:38 AM)
darwin award winner...

but alas.. better education, enforcement & parenting will reduce this..
Already got but die2 wan go cox never travel before + parents cannot afford + fren devil + FREE + socmed pressure for pic
party
post Jun 24 2019, 09:13 AM

Enthusiast
755 posts

Between..is it possible not realise that ur shoes is weird when walkin with 700g drug in the shoes?????
viole
post Jun 24 2019, 09:13 AM

KFC Lover
838 posts

I legit curious.

Everyone knows you will kantoi, but why the druglord die die want to use this way to smuggle drugs?

I mean, is there a success story smuggling few kg of heroin through airport check?
Eurobeater
post Jun 24 2019, 09:22 AM

Kancil Dorifto!
1,184 posts

QUOTE(viole @ Jun 24 2019, 01:13 AM)
I legit curious.

Everyone knows you will kantoi, but why the druglord die die want to use this way to smuggle drugs?

I mean, is there a success story smuggling few kg of heroin through airport check?
As Shirley mentioned, it's prolly a distraction. Keep the officers busy with small small case of 700g while someone else with a few kg can slip through more easily.

It's unfortunate, but seems to be a good strategy.
TOMEI-R
post Jun 24 2019, 09:24 AM

Extraordinaire
All Stars
23,591 posts

QUOTE(nebula87 @ Jun 24 2019, 08:55 AM)
It's easier nowadays to target those IG "Syok Sendiri" influencers

Ask them whether can go to HK to promote a hotel...they definitely will go without doubts.
What to do? People nowadays never understand that you have to work hard for your money, and there is no easy way out. They choose the easy way out and walk straight into these syndicate's traps laid out nicely for them.

QUOTE(viole @ Jun 24 2019, 09:13 AM)
I legit curious.

They send in alot of mules. So letting a few 'get caught' is part of the plan.
TheEvilMan
post Jun 24 2019, 09:26 AM

囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧
668 posts

QUOTE(takadanicklagi @ Jun 24 2019, 09:10 AM)
My parents taught me never carry things for anybody in the airport. Not even your a granny even if he cry and beg whatever.

Friends also sorry la
There is airport kiosk and security guard everywhere for a reason, they r more than hapoy to help
hvk13
post Jun 24 2019, 09:27 AM

Enthusiast
923 posts

QUOTE(viole @ Jun 24 2019, 09:13 AM)
I legit curious.

There's always a chance some will go through. And the way they operate there's little risk to them self
TheEvilMan
post Jun 24 2019, 09:28 AM

囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧
668 posts

QUOTE(gogo2 @ Jun 24 2019, 09:12 AM)
Should let our kid watch all drug mule movie
Inbefore kid inspired by escobar and become world class drug lord

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0180sec    0.45    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:29 PM