Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Using tracklights for all living room lighting?

views

TSKuzumiTaiga
post Jun 17 2019, 11:53 AM, updated 4 months ago

Spends too much time with mechanical keyboards
3,090 posts

EDIT: Ongoing reno, updated pics at page 3 onwards

Hi, this is how my living room ceiling looks like, it's totally concrete and I don't wanna put plaster ceiling as it'll drop the ceiling lower.

I don't like how surface lights look like, so I am wondering if it is feasible for me to totally use track lighting as the only source of lighting for living room?

user posted image

user posted image

or do you guys have a better suggestion for lighting? sweat.gif

This post has been edited by KuzumiTaiga: Oct 25 2019, 08:43 PM
TSKuzumiTaiga
post Jun 17 2019, 12:02 PM

3,090 posts

QUOTE(kuntilanak @ Jun 17 2019, 12:00 PM)
The track light picture you show here looks like requiring plaster ceiling as well...
I don't mind if the rails are not flat/buried inside the ceiling, if protruding out I would be okay with it. just that couldn't find a proper example sweat.gif

perhaps something like this?

user posted image
TSKuzumiTaiga
post Jun 17 2019, 12:21 PM

3,090 posts

QUOTE(8sg9ft @ Jun 17 2019, 12:19 PM)
If u dont want the whole living room ceiling to be lowered by plaster ceiling, perhaps can consider cove lighting with plaster ceiling along the perimeter part only.

Personally, don't like non-recessed surface downlights for living room. Would prefer track lights if really don't want plaster ceiling.
hi bro, i'm having some trouble looking up for cove lighting, do you have any example photo on what you think would be suitable?

TSKuzumiTaiga
post Jun 17 2019, 12:34 PM

3,090 posts

QUOTE(8sg9ft @ Jun 17 2019, 12:29 PM)
Something like this..the light is concealed and shining onto the ceiling. The plaster ceiling width can be narrower than in the picture.
in your opinion how much do you think the rough costing would be? maybe i'll ask my contractor.. hmm.gif I think track lighting should be cheaper right? is it a lot cheaper? btw is my understanding on track light correct? basically can simply install any track light onto the rail anywhere? also does it require multiple lighting points?
TSKuzumiTaiga
post Jun 17 2019, 12:46 PM

3,090 posts

QUOTE(8sg9ft @ Jun 17 2019, 12:43 PM)
Me too. My preference in order would be cove, recessed surface downlights, track lights, non-recessed surface downlights biggrin.gif

But some people use those spot lighting to shine onto some feature walls, or walls with painting/art. Looks good too. But i dont have that kinda stuff. Lol
I guess i will get track light first, in years to come when I have the budget I'll do the cove thingy laugh.gif the thought of just having 4 non-recessed surface downlights makes me sweat, plus it would not be that bright.

Would like to ask, are all tracklights compatible with each other? coz I see on shopee people like buying a lot of track light bulbs but i don't know what's their track type. or is there like a code for different types?
TSKuzumiTaiga
post Jun 17 2019, 02:36 PM

3,090 posts

QUOTE(yy714 @ Jun 17 2019, 02:30 PM)
user posted image

user posted image

My house just like u, no plan to put on plaster ceiling so I decided to install track light and surface LED downlight, not sure whether it is a right choice.
I must say your paint colour choice is on point icon_rolleyes.gif

as for lighting... well.. how do you feel about it? laugh.gif

my current plan is something like this

user posted image
TSKuzumiTaiga
post Jun 17 2019, 03:28 PM

3,090 posts

QUOTE(yy714 @ Jun 17 2019, 03:16 PM)
I would said if u decided to put a lot of LED light on the track will be quite hot I guess because it work like spotlight.
LED track light also will be hot?
TSKuzumiTaiga
post Jul 1 2019, 06:43 PM

3,090 posts

QUOTE(tantung @ Jul 1 2019, 06:21 PM)
The centre wires has hooks for fan. You'll need to remove those, and rely on aircon only. Watch the electricity bill.  tongue.gif
general contractor gonna reposition the fan hooks and lighting points, i will elongate the rails and fit 2 fans inside the rectangle hmm.gif
TSKuzumiTaiga
post Jul 13 2019, 01:17 AM

3,090 posts

QUOTE(reader @ Jul 12 2019, 11:27 PM)
user posted image

I use 7W track light .  Pls take note that it is not advisable to put too many lights on the same track especially if they are high wattage one.  Most selling in Lazada or Shopee are low quality, especially the track.  Make sure you get a better quality one with full copper wire.
hey thanks for sharing your pic, could you tell me where should I go to for proper track lighting equipment?
TSKuzumiTaiga
post Oct 17 2019, 01:59 PM

3,090 posts

QUOTE(frey95 @ Oct 17 2019, 09:34 AM)
How is it going now?

Mind share your finishing work as reference cause I am also planning if possible aviod plaster ceiling as not much budget in hand
Will get back to you, didn't do plaster. Hacked instead haha
TSKuzumiTaiga
post Oct 17 2019, 04:04 PM

3,090 posts

QUOTE(frey95 @ Oct 17 2019, 03:39 PM)
Thanks. How much roughly you spend for it?

I was inform by one of the contractor said hacking is expensive. Ask me do plaster ceiling instead.
QUOTE(kokwei1125 @ Oct 17 2019, 03:42 PM)
i think the price of hacking is depends if its hack on concrete or bricks..if im not mistaken
and as well the distance to hack..

My contractor offered me free hacking and plastering cause the hack is just to move my point to further distance..
my con didn't charge for hacking... just charge on installing light (RM35) and concealing back (nearly RM2k lump sum for whole house) 'coz consider major project

the reason they ask u do plaster is coz margin a hundred times higher and less back-breaking than hacking.

I will have total 8 unit 36W remote control surface light in my living room. Already test the exact same lights at gf house, 8 is the correct number.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

TSKuzumiTaiga
post Oct 25 2019, 08:48 PM

3,090 posts

QUOTE(frey95 @ Oct 17 2019, 04:30 PM)
Wow great!! Is the contractor work finishing OK? Can message me your contractor contact? I might look for them also.

So the light arrangement you design your own and buy your own and ask them install?

Hope to see your finishing product soon^^
today finish patch concrete + skim coat + sanding + jotaplast interior. Really cannot see any difference, so I guess the workmanship is good.

Haven't install lights. Arrangement I designed my ownself but contractor and electrician both gave their opinions as well, which I followed. Bought lights from a shop in the same row as Houses Lightings (surface lights from Houses Lightings quite limited and dated choices). They will install since the RM25 cost of hacking per light includes installing as well. Will only fwd contact once everything done ya.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

TSKuzumiTaiga
post Oct 26 2019, 09:18 PM

3,090 posts

QUOTE(frey95 @ Oct 26 2019, 05:46 PM)
Wow...Most scare is the difference too obvious after cover. That great your contractor can do it well.

No problem. Hope to see your finishing also. Thanks for the sharing.
Actually from what I've seen, it's fairly easy to get back the same look as the original. All you need to do is patch back concrete, put skim coat on top, then do sanding, contractor even joked with me, sanding work usually give to the least intelligent worker also won't screw up one... lol

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0408sec    2.78    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 18th February 2020 - 09:50 AM