Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> PSU causing RAM failure?, Is this possible?

views

TSviqq
post Jun 15 2019, 01:02 AM, updated 5w ago

Goku
Group: Senior Member

Hi sifus, my 9yo PC is starting to die on me, not that it's slow or anything, but recently, windows memory test utilty found out there's a hardware problem in one of the RAM sticks, I ran more tests and pinpointed the faulty one, so I removed it from my system. The system was ok until today.

It happened again today, with the same process, where i get a BSOD out of a sudden, this time while booting windows. I ran another memory test, and found out there's hardware problem in one of my RAM sticks again. I've pinpointed which stick and removed that stick as well, I have 2 more RAM sticks left in my system. 8GB > 4GB doh.gif

Anyone of you experienced the same thing before? If yes am i eligible for the lifetime warranty claim? i don't have the original receipts with me already. Could it be the PSU that's causing this problem? Because I do have a cap ayam PSU.

Thanks in advance guys.
khreve P
post Jun 15 2019, 01:09 AM

Group: Probation

just throw away that faulty ram and get yourself a secondhand RAM(3 Large Branded Bubble Tea cost even more).... its damn cheapo these days...... if you still have the original purchase receipt then you can try claim warranty provided its lifetime(normal consumer don't bother).....

PSU seldom cause problem to RAM, but the whole motherboard instead(RAM is plugged into MOBO right?).....
TSviqq
post Jun 15 2019, 09:06 AM

Goku

QUOTE(khreve @ Jun 15 2019, 01:09 AM)
just throw away that faulty ram and get yourself a secondhand RAM(3 Large Branded Bubble Tea cost even more).... its damn cheapo these days...... if you still have the original purchase receipt then you can try claim warranty provided its lifetime(normal consumer don't bother).....

PSU seldom cause problem to RAM, but the whole motherboard instead(RAM is plugged into MOBO right?).....
Well I don't know what '3 Large Branded Bubble Tea' is worth to you, but I think they're expensive drinks that you shouldn't compare RAMs with. I prefer you to say it's only worth a mouth watering rib-eye steak with a glass of house wine.

It's not cheap my friend. 4GB still set you down RM109. If that's what you call cheap then you are definitely a bubble tea guy. A hundred bucks can fill my stomach for 10 meals, instead of mere 3 worthless bubble tea that eventually the pearls get stucked in your stomach because you had too much of bubble tea your digestion system can't digest them in time. Or again, if you prefer, a mouth watering rib-eye steak with a glass of house wine.

The reason why I suspect the PSU is because it is the dodgiest part in my office setup. The Gagabyte mobo says it'll last 3 times more on the box. mad.gif

If it's something wrong with the MOBO, shan't them faulty all at once instead of one by one?
mashimarow
post Jun 15 2019, 10:24 AM

Regular

Nothing is warranty for lifetime, RAM is the hardest part can be faulty, but your Mobo maybe.

If you able to get those RAM tested on another PC might get a better answer.

Don't go cheap with PSU next time, 9 years is long time and due for major overhaul already. Save your money, plan for new PC.

By the way your cap ayam PSU can last 9 years? It can consider an ayam king already.
Coldf3ar
post Jun 15 2019, 11:31 AM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

without receipt? try email their manufacture maybe they could help.

i suspect your mobo though
Netter P
post Jun 15 2019, 12:24 PM

Group: Probation

Try take motherboard picture and post them here.
GOPI56
post Jun 15 2019, 12:28 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(viqq @ Jun 15 2019, 02:02 AM)
Hi sifus, my 9yo PC is starting to die on me, not that it's slow or anything, but recently, windows memory test utilty found out there's a hardware problem in one of the RAM sticks, I ran more tests and pinpointed the faulty one, so I removed it from my system. The system was ok until today.

It happened again today, with the same process, where i get a BSOD out of a sudden, this time while booting windows. I ran another memory test, and found out there's hardware problem in one of my RAM sticks again. I've pinpointed which stick and removed that stick as well, I have 2 more RAM sticks left in my system. 8GB > 4GB  doh.gif

Anyone of you experienced the same thing before? If yes am i eligible for the lifetime warranty claim? i don't have the original receipts with me already. Could it be the PSU that's causing this problem? Because I do have a cap ayam PSU.

Thanks in advance guys.
Since you are using cap ayam PSU, it might be supplying overvoltage to your hardware.
TSviqq
post Jun 16 2019, 01:35 PM

Goku

QUOTE(mashimarow @ Jun 15 2019, 10:24 AM)
Nothing is warranty for lifetime, RAM is the hardest part can be faulty, but your Mobo maybe.

If you able to get those RAM tested on another PC might get a better answer.

Don't go cheap with PSU next time, 9 years is long time and due for major overhaul already.  Save your money, plan for new PC.

By the way your cap ayam PSU can last 9 years? It can consider an ayam king already.
Yeah i guess so too but if it's really the motherboard why is the ram dying one by one. i tested the working ram on the slot no problem. it's the ram.

The question is what caused this, i think overvoltage from the PSU should be the problem.

Ayam King lol... it's esupercase btw.. Ayam king.. 9 years still going strong. Typing this reply with the said PC as of now.

QUOTE(Coldf3ar @ Jun 15 2019, 11:31 AM)
without receipt? try email their manufacture maybe they could help.

i suspect your mobo though
Yeah gonna try email them and see if they reply.

QUOTE(Netter @ Jun 15 2019, 12:24 PM)
Try take motherboard picture and post them here.
It's just normal motherboard.. Gigabyte H55M-USB3

QUOTE(GOPI56 @ Jun 15 2019, 12:28 PM)
Since you are using cap ayam PSU, it might be supplying overvoltage to your hardware.
I suppose too. I think the cap ayam PSU is causing the problem.
TSviqq
post Jun 16 2019, 01:38 PM

Goku

I estimate this PC gonna last me another 6 months - 1 year. Will only upgrade if the remaining RAMs die on me, gonna use until it die while waiting for the Ryzen 3k series or 10th gen intel CPUs year end.
rickymark88
post Jun 18 2019, 09:32 AM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

Not the PSU, make sure you have a surge protector connected to your PC. Power surges can kill RAM.
TSviqq
post Jun 18 2019, 05:16 PM

Goku

QUOTE(rickymark88 @ Jun 18 2019, 09:32 AM)
Not the PSU, make sure you have a surge protector connected to your PC. Power surges can kill RAM.
It's not completely undetected though, it can boot up windows, only when i run memtest is shows there's problem. and i get BSOD once in a while. cry.gif
TSviqq
post Jun 18 2019, 05:16 PM

Goku

I've removed the RAM sticks that has problem and it's running without auto-restart at the moment, but i don't know how long can it last.
mashimarow
post Jun 20 2019, 11:13 AM

Regular

Unstable PSU sometimes might have a voltage spike without warning, a good PSU will have a good capacitor where it will control the power being sent to the system, while a cheap capacitor doesn't care.

You can buy a new branded good PSU first as PSU can be reusable at the new PC.

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0677sec    2.51    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 18th July 2019 - 10:26 AM