Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Light and good gaming laptop? check out the GS75, MSI GS75 with RTX2080 review

views

TSLeeroyJenkinss
post Jun 11 2019, 06:05 PM, updated 5y ago

Getting Started
131 posts

Compact and powerful laptop is becoming a trend by the gaming laptop provider brands and they are focusing making more slim gaming laptop that pack a punch. Today I got a chance to review this MSI GS75 slim gaming laptop powered with RTX2080 graphic, a 17.3" display with thinnest bezel frame design which make the screen looks bigger.

user posted image user posted image

The GS75 Stealth I have comes with below Specifications:
- Intel Core i7 8750H

- GeForce RTX 2080 Max-Q

- 32GB of dual channel DDR4-2666 main memory

- 1TB NVMe SSD at RAID0

- 82Whr battery

- 144Hz display with “True Color” sRGB

- Steelseries Per-Key RGB gaming keyboard with SSE3 software

- Hi-Res Audio ready by ESS SABRE HiFi chip with Nahimic 3 sound software

[SIZE=7]I/O : three USB 3.1 gen2 type-A ports, two USB-C ports, one is Thunderbolt 3 and the other USB 3.1 gen 1. There’s Ethernet, a microSD card slot and HDMI as well plus dual 3.5mm audio jacks. But on the contrary there is a big amount of ports on the right side of the laptop, such as HDMI, which makes it a little awkward to have a mouse there if several things are plugged in.

user posted image

RGB per key keyboard with nice looking frame

user posted image

18.89mm of the height but still decent solid despite the thickness, but it is still rather fragile if you did not take well care of it. But Comparing to the previous generation GS series, it have indeed become more sturdy.

This post has been edited by LeeroyJenkinss: Jul 5 2019, 12:06 PM
TSLeeroyJenkinss
post Jun 11 2019, 06:11 PM

Getting Started
131 posts

Fan and performance
When I look at the new release news, I do have this question about this slim laptop able to handle the heat from the RTX and 8th Gen Cpu, but when looking at the reviews and description, The GS75 came with 3 slim but powerful fans, and 7 heatpipes which manage to have a decent thermal control for this very slim laptop. Nevertheless the performance of the fan is good, lets take a look at some benchmark statistic[/SIZE]

user posted image

Now let's take a look on overall performance statistic

user posted image

I have tried few of the benchmark I have which raneg from light to heavy loading test, for the heavy loading benchmarks, I put SUPERPOSITION Benchmark on the DX12 dynamic lighting effects in the top list. The test result with get a quite satisfactory numbers while compare online with other similar models.

And now I have tested with some game benchmark and heat measurement to determine of it's performance

Let's come to the most important and popular FPS game, Battlefield 5, the 1st game that support Real-Time Ray Tracing, the in game frame rate is around 60~85fps with ultra-setting, at this theme is 74fps, this already enabled the DX12 and Ray Tracing features in the game. The temperature on the top is around 43~45°C when Dragon Center set at AUTO fan mode, but if you enable the "Cooler Boost" mode to have highest fan speed around 5600~6000rpm, the temperature could be dropped around 41.4°C after 30 minutes in the game. Ambient temperature still kept at regular 25°C. I checked that A brand of GX531 with over 54°C on the keyboard side, and that’s why they designed their keyboard at the lower side, because top side was overheat to put your hands on.

GS75 Stealth got only 41.4°C on keyboard side after play Battlefield 5 for 30min with "Cooler Boost" on.

VERDICT:

Overall it is a really good slim gaming laptop that capable to do squeeze some good performance for either gaming or professional use especially it is light to carry around. But the slight down part which it is body are not as hard when you press it, it might cause some problem if you did not take care of it. Nevertheless, it is a really good slim and powerful laptop for user always on the go and need extra performance despite the price.

7cantona
post Jun 11 2019, 07:00 PM

On my way
586 posts

QUOTE(LeeroyJenkinss @ Jun 11 2019, 06:05 PM)
Compact and powerful laptop is becoming a trend by the gaming laptop provider brands and they are focusing making more slim gaming laptop that pack a punch. Today I got a chance to review this MSI GS75 slim gaming laptop powered with RTX2080 graphic, a 17.3" display with thinnest bezel frame design which make the screen looks bigger.

The GS75 Stealth I have comes with below Specifications:
- Intel Core i7 8750H

- GeForce RTX 2080 Max-Q

- 32GB of dual channel DDR4-2666 main memory

- 1TB NVMe SSD at RAID0

- 82Whr battery

- 144Hz display with “True Color” sRGB

- Steelseries Per-Key RGB gaming keyboard with SSE3 software

- Hi-Res Audio ready by ESS SABRE HiFi chip with Nahimic 3 sound software

[SIZE=7]I/O : three USB 3.1 gen2 type-A ports, two USB-C ports, one is Thunderbolt 3 and the other USB 3.1 gen 1. There’s Ethernet, a microSD card slot and HDMI as well plus dual 3.5mm audio jacks. But on the contrary there is a big amount of ports on the right side of the laptop, such as HDMI, which makes it a little awkward to have a mouse there if several things are plugged in.

user posted image
user posted image

18.89mm of the height but still decent solid despite the thickness, but it is still rather fragile if you did not take well care of it. But Comparing to the previous generation GS series, it have indeed become more sturdy.
so thin yet they managed to put 82Whr battery blink.gif Amazing thumbsup.gif rclxm9.gif
TSLeeroyJenkinss
post Jun 12 2019, 12:38 PM

Getting Started
131 posts

QUOTE(7cantona @ Jun 11 2019, 07:00 PM)
so thin yet they managed to put 82Whr battery  blink.gif  Amazing  thumbsup.gif  rclxm9.gif
I dare not to open the cover to show you all where i still need the warranty biggrin.gif , but as I know, this model they have a very long battery under the touchpad
7cantona
post Jun 12 2019, 01:55 PM

On my way
586 posts

QUOTE(LeeroyJenkinss @ Jun 12 2019, 12:38 PM)
I dare not to open the cover to show you all where i still need the warranty  biggrin.gif , but as I know, this model they have a very long battery under the touchpad
i see hmm.gif thats a power battery thumbsup.gif
mayb somewhere on the net got pic d wink.gif
7cantona
post Jun 12 2019, 02:02 PM

On my way
586 posts

I dare not to open the cover to show you all where i still need the warranty  biggrin.gif , but as I know, this model they have a very long battery under the touchpad
found it icon_rolleyes.gif almost full length blink.gif
http://forum.notebookreview.com/attachment...s75-jpg.169121/ cant show image sweat.gif
TSLeeroyJenkinss
post Jun 12 2019, 02:27 PM

Getting Started
131 posts

QUOTE(7cantona @ Jun 12 2019, 02:02 PM)
found it  icon_rolleyes.gif  almost full length  blink.gif
http://forum.notebookreview.com/attachment...s75-jpg.169121/  cant show image  sweat.gif
yup, thats how it looks like. well at least it last me 4 hours + while i bring it out do my stuff, never twerk the battery setting, but consider very good
7cantona
post Jun 13 2019, 09:43 PM

On my way
586 posts

QUOTE(LeeroyJenkinss @ Jun 12 2019, 02:27 PM)
yup, thats how it looks like. well at least it last me 4 hours + while i bring it out do my stuff, never twerk the battery setting, but consider very good
82Whr is very good thumbsup.gif
hows the screen ? confused.gif IPS ?
TSLeeroyJenkinss
post Jun 17 2019, 04:48 PM

Getting Started
131 posts

QUOTE(7cantona @ Jun 13 2019, 09:43 PM)
82Whr is very good  thumbsup.gif
hows the screen ?  confused.gif  IPS ?
Welp, from them it stated IPS-level, but i think it's a TN panel due to the refresh rate etc. Nevertheless, the color is good, they are using quite the good TN panel, looks like IPS too
7cantona
post Jun 22 2019, 06:03 AM

On my way
586 posts

QUOTE(LeeroyJenkinss @ Jun 17 2019, 04:48 PM)
Welp, from them it stated IPS-level, but i think it's a TN panel due to the refresh rate etc. Nevertheless, the color is good, they are using quite the good TN panel, looks like IPS too
i see hmm.gif as long as it look good doesnt matter if is TN or IPS wink.gif
TN panel have lower refresh rate ? confused.gif
HiAwak
post Jun 24 2019, 11:01 AM

Getting Started
105 posts

QUOTE(LeeroyJenkinss @ Jun 11 2019, 06:11 PM)
Fan and performance
When I look at the new release news, I do have this question about this slim laptop able to handle the heat from the RTX and 8th Gen Cpu, but when looking at the reviews and description, The GS75 came with 3 slim but powerful fans, and 7 heatpipes which manage to have a decent thermal control for this very slim laptop. Nevertheless the performance of the fan is good, lets take a look at some benchmark statistic[/SIZE]

user posted image

Now let's take a look on overall performance statistic

user posted image  user posted image

user posted image

I have tried few of the benchmark I have which raneg from light to heavy loading test, for the heavy loading benchmarks, I put SUPERPOSITION Benchmark on the DX12 dynamic lighting effects in the top list. The test result with get a quite satisfactory numbers while compare online with other similar models.

And now I have tested with some game benchmark and heat measurement to determine of it's performance

Let's come to the most important and popular FPS game, Battlefield 5, the 1st game that support Real-Time Ray Tracing, the in game frame rate is around 60~85fps with ultra-setting, at this theme is 74fps, this already enabled the DX12 and Ray Tracing features in the game. The temperature on the top is around 43~45°C when Dragon Center set at AUTO fan mode, but if you enable the "Cooler Boost" mode to have highest fan speed around 5600~6000rpm, the temperature could be dropped around 41.4°C after 30 minutes in the game. Ambient temperature still kept at regular 25°C. I checked that A brand of GX531 with over 54°C on the keyboard side, and that’s why they designed their keyboard at the lower side, because top side was overheat to put your hands on.
GS75 Stealth got only 41.4°C on keyboard side after play Battlefield 5 for 30min with "Cooler Boost" on.

VERDICT:

Overall it is a really good slim gaming laptop that capable to do squeeze some good performance for either gaming or professional use especially it is light to carry around. But the slight down part which it is body are not as hard when you press it, it might cause some problem if you did not take care of it. Nevertheless, it is a really good slim and powerful laptop for user always on the go and need extra performance despite the price.
Will it be hot on the keyboard side?
TSLeeroyJenkinss
post Jun 26 2019, 11:01 AM

Getting Started
131 posts

QUOTE(7cantona @ Jun 22 2019, 06:03 AM)
i see  hmm.gif  as long as it look good doesnt matter if is TN or IPS  wink.gif
TN panel have lower refresh rate ?  confused.gif
yup, means faster latency like 1ms or 3ms, its not like IPS could not reach that, but its far more expensive.
TSLeeroyJenkinss
post Jun 26 2019, 11:09 AM

Getting Started
131 posts

QUOTE(HiAwak @ Jun 24 2019, 11:01 AM)
Will it be hot on the keyboard side?
hardly felt it.
Blablebla
post Jun 28 2019, 06:01 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

Battlefield looking great with RTX on!
7cantona
post Jun 28 2019, 06:47 PM

On my way
586 posts

QUOTE(LeeroyJenkinss @ Jun 26 2019, 11:01 AM)
yup, means faster latency like 1ms or 3ms, its not like IPS could not reach that, but its far more expensive.
ooo i see nod.gif so latency lower better ? less lag ? hmm.gif im so noob sweat.gif wink.gif
TSLeeroyJenkinss
post Jul 1 2019, 10:05 AM

Getting Started
131 posts

QUOTE(7cantona @ Jun 28 2019, 06:47 PM)
ooo i see  nod.gif  so  latency lower better ? less lag ?  hmm.gif  im so noob  sweat.gif  wink.gif
No bro, it is not lag, the latency in monitor represent the speed of the refresh speed of the monitor, abit hard for me to explain here but you can try youtube it where they have much clearer explanation. of course the lower the better for gaming. But usually 3ms is consider the most optimal.
sHawTY
post Jul 1 2019, 10:14 AM

Frequent Reporter
All Stars
14,628 posts

I dare not to open the cover to show you all where i still need the warranty
MSI doesn't void warranty for opening their laptop
7cantona
post Jul 1 2019, 12:40 PM

On my way
586 posts

QUOTE(LeeroyJenkinss @ Jul 1 2019, 10:05 AM)
No bro, it is not lag, the latency in monitor represent the speed of the refresh speed of the monitor, abit hard for me to explain here but you can try youtube it where they have much clearer explanation. of course the lower the better for gaming. But usually 3ms is consider the most optimal.
ok i see nod.gif thks 4 explaining smile.gif will go search when free wink.gif
if watch movie also lower better ? confused.gif rclxub.gif
Rebeccachong
post Jul 2 2019, 03:19 PM

Getting Started
71 posts

Hello, would like to know -> GS75 and ROG Zephyrus S, which one more ok?
TSLeeroyJenkinss
post Jul 3 2019, 10:50 AM

Getting Started
131 posts

QUOTE(sHawTY @ Jul 1 2019, 10:14 AM)
MSI doesn't void warranty for opening their laptop
No bro, for Malaysia it will void the warranty if you open it on your own, For US is true

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0199sec    0.14    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:03 AM