Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Car Battery: Amaron vs Century vs Yokohama

views

6UE5T
post Jun 11 2019, 09:31 AM

Regular
1,704 posts

Century Marathoner is not good for me. It cannot store enough juice to start my car if left for more than 4/5 days. It lasted around 2.5 years but with countless jump starts.

Now using Century Ultramax, a bit better, can store just a bit longer and seems to have more cranking power but haven't reached 2 years yet so cannot conclude yet.

Yokohama seems just a bit more decent than Century but I don't see it much better too.

Amaron haven't tried but so many good recommendation on it. Got report of people in my car club using this battery lasting until 5 years! Next change I'd probably try it.
6UE5T
post Jun 11 2019, 10:41 AM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Jun 11 2019, 10:32 AM)
Bro, the Marathoner 2.5 years is inclusive of countless  jump starts ?
Yes because whenever I travel overseas for more than 4 days, it can never start, hence I need to jump start it.
6UE5T
post Jun 11 2019, 11:53 AM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Jun 11 2019, 10:58 AM)
Oh like that. Like this, the 2.5 years is incorrect liao. Should be shorter. Cause the last Marathoner under my care was 2.5 years without any jumpstarts at all.

Since you travel abroad often, what you really need is a battery with high CCA like the Ultramax, that's able to hold its charge until your return.

To assist you further, there are Battery Tenders or Minders or Maintainers that will keep the battery from dying out until your return.

What i am positive is battries that are constantly  subjected to lower State of Charge for whatever reason, can never outperform battries that are constantly in a high State of Charge.
I am using Ultramax now, a bit better coz can leave it a bit longer but not big improvement. Anyway next time I want to try Amaron.

6UE5T
post Jun 11 2019, 12:34 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Jun 11 2019, 11:55 AM)
Bro., I am curious what is your car make & model ?
2008 Toyota Mark X 250G.
6UE5T
post Jun 11 2019, 06:24 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Jun 11 2019, 03:49 PM)
Nice.

Which of these 2 types
of Ultaranax are you using ?

1 Ultramax 55D23L; or
2 Ultramax 80D23L; or
3 Any other battery sizes ?
NS60L.
6UE5T
post Jun 11 2019, 09:15 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Jun 11 2019, 07:35 PM)
Who exactly recommended this battery size to you, bro ?

Did you know that if anything were to happen (touch wood), you've absolved the battery company because of the warranty limitations.

Then again perhaps you may already know about this too.
That's the stock size battery for this car, unfortunately. I want to change to bigger one but will require terminal conversions from small to big.
6UE5T
post Jun 12 2019, 01:06 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Jun 12 2019, 07:30 AM)
Ah that's explains why you're having problems with your batteries.

At this juncture with incorrect terminal sizes, you are simply putting yourself at a greater risk, besides accommodating all the unnecessary hassles that's involved.

This leads me to another question, how on earth did the stock car come with "incorrect" terminal size ? Can't be that Toyota fitted the car with "incorrect" terminal size at the factory, or is it the work of a third party, possibly without your knowledge before you even bought the car ?

If its "truly" stock terminal sizes, that could also mean that in the country where your car originated from, has better quality built batteries for such small sized terminal. These are question I reckon can only be answered when you go abroad and investigate it out for yourself.

Irregardless of whatever the situation is, you still would have to change to the proper sized terminals provided your car has sufficient space to cater for the new battery size. Pointless in changing the correct terminal sizes only to find out later that there's insufficient space for the new battery sized !!!

This is a peculiar case incorrect terminal size in stock car.
It is original stock terminals, not modified. Many other Mark X also have the same. Compartment size is actually also for that size but I guess still can fit bigger if want to.
6UE5T
post Jun 12 2019, 11:07 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Jun 12 2019, 03:37 PM)
Wah all stock also like that ah. This is completely beyond me already liao.

If I were in you, I would go to recheck the car's manual or go to Toyota or go to Century Battery HQ or whichever battery that you want to use and sort this problem what should the correct battery size for this Toyota Mark X spec, so that you will be covered.

I remember Century HQ guy did tell me, that Century has many different types batteries but there's are some passenger car that are just NOT suitable for Century batteries. Hence these type of cars will probably most likely not be covered I reckon, but I didn't verify this with the Century HQ representative. sad.gif
I doubt Toyota Japan put the wrong battery size for the car, but probably the battery in Malaysia is just not so good. Like I said, I have given Century a second chance by now using their supposedly best battery but it's still not up to my full expectation so next time I won't buy Century anymore. Lasting just over 2 years with multiple jump starts is just average. Next will be Amaron.

This post has been edited by 6UE5T: Jun 12 2019, 11:07 PM
6UE5T
post Jun 13 2019, 12:05 AM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Jun 12 2019, 11:10 PM)
Bro., I think it's best you switch to other brands. Seriously with that Century battery size, you're not covered.
Yes, that's what I already mentioned, need better quality battery.
6UE5T
post Jun 13 2019, 11:37 AM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Jun 13 2019, 05:15 AM)
Assuming that the alternator is in perfect working condition, the current battery saiz that's in use, is still insufficient to meet the needs of the vehicle.

At this juncture, I think I can be stupid enough to speak of behalf of all battery manufacturers already 😜, if there's any warranty claim, it need not be entertained at all, unless it's just out of goodwill of the battery manufacturer.

However, if it's a large claim for damages e.g. Explosion 💥, surely it will be rejected liao.
Well I had claimed twice, once from Century and another from Delkor, both got new replacements.
6UE5T
post Jun 13 2019, 11:40 AM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(Valentino46 @ Jun 13 2019, 04:51 AM)
had you check your alternator already,sounds like its not supplying enough juice to the battery
Alternator is confirmed normal.

QUOTE(voscar @ Jun 13 2019, 11:24 AM)
do you check how much current draw after you off your car and with alarm on? leaving car for 4-5 days shouldn't depleted the battery so rapid. i always leave my car unused for 1-2 weeks as swapping car to use, most battery can lasts minimum 2 years before need replace.
This one I haven't checked.
6UE5T
post Aug 16 2019, 12:00 AM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Jun 14 2019, 07:42 AM)
I checked with Century. I am dead sure Century Battery Service Center would help anyone out too. Kena stupid customer like me also, ask & ask & ask. If they can tahan me, surely they can tahan anyone. 😂

6uest uses NS60L or S, you have to check the past posts and Century recommends 55D23L or 80D23L. The difference is that its almost double in CCA capacity, which explains the complain of the lack of power.

Since 6uest had pointed out the terminal sizes are the vehicle are smaller, hence I reckon it wouldn't fit the recommended battery size.

As I clearly mentioned, if the warranty claim was allowed its most probably out of goodwill OR now I could also add, that it was the mistake of the reseller of not verifying if the appropriate battery size was used according to the car's specification, cause if it was really done, the warranty claim will most certainly would have been disallowed !

When I did a warranty claim myself, the Century HQ representative that came to visit me, was extremely thorough in his work, as he checked, rechecked and rechecked until he was really satisfied.

Maybe in the Japanese battery market, they have higher & better quality batteries that uses smaller terminals since space is a major issue. However, I have not check if the terminal sizes here are different between the NS60 and the 55D23L yet, but surely will when the opportunity arises.

I think it's best that now 6uest switches to other battery brands too, should there be a claim for damages incurred (touch wood), at least other battery brands may just miss this out but what I am pretty certain, this won't be missed if the same Century HQ representative is involved.

How do I know this for sure, it was because I asked him that time, "Why do people complain about Century batteries ?" and he said "It's usually the inappropriate battery size that's in use, its usually the main culprit in most warranty claim cases."
Anyway I won't buy Century anymore! biggrin.gif Next purchase will try Amaron.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0115sec    0.76    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:46 PM