Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

iCloud Photo - Optimize Storage

views

MX510
post Jun 14 2019, 08:35 PM

Love Me Sin Hate Me Sinner
4,032 posts

Use google photos for unlimited photo storage :-)

fiqqq
post Jun 15 2019, 09:49 AM

đź‘€
532 posts

If I delete a photo on my iPhone, will it deletes the one uploaded in iCloud Photos too?
TSanakMY
post Jun 15 2019, 09:50 AM

Regular
1,348 posts

QUOTE(fiqqq @ Jun 15 2019, 09:49 AM)
If I delete a photo on my iPhone, will it deletes the one uploaded in iCloud Photos too?
I think so , bcz its like syncing both. But I can’t be sure cuz I never thought of that before lol.
yongtjunkit
post Jun 15 2019, 11:30 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,483 posts

QUOTE(fiqqq @ Jun 15 2019, 09:49 AM)
Yup, unless your iCloud account is having issue(experienced it before )
lattemild
post Jun 15 2019, 11:48 AM

Getting Started
51 posts

Yes it will be deleted too...

But if you want it back on your phone and icloud, goto your photos app on your iphone and under albums, scroll down to "Recently Deleted" album and find the deleted picture and restore it.

And if you have MS Onedrive and/or Google photos installed, when you took the picture in the first place it would be on these cloud drives. Therefore, when you delete the picture from your iphone, it will still be on these cloud drives.

As to the picture quality, I see no noticeable differences on all three cloud services. In fact if you took a Live photo from your iphone and it gets uploaded to Google photos, you will see a "Motion on/off" button on the top right of the picture when you view it. Choose the one you want to see the picture in...

Cheers!
fiqqq
post Jun 15 2019, 02:05 PM

đź‘€
532 posts

QUOTE(anakMY @ Jun 15 2019, 09:50 AM)
I think so , bcz its like syncing both. But I can’t be sure cuz I never thought of that before lol.
Yeah, tried before. Maybe it takes time to sync for the photos to be deleted in iCloud.

QUOTE(yongtjunkit @ Jun 15 2019, 11:30 AM)
Yup, unless your iCloud account is having issue(experienced it before )
Ya, read about this before.

QUOTE(lattemild @ Jun 15 2019, 11:48 AM)
Yes it will be deleted too...

But if you want it back on your phone and icloud, goto your photos app on your iphone and under albums, scroll down to "Recently Deleted" album and find the deleted picture and restore it.

And if you have MS Onedrive and/or Google photos installed, when you took the picture in the first place it would be on these cloud drives. Therefore, when you delete the picture from your iphone, it will still be on these cloud drives.

As to the picture quality, I see no noticeable differences on all three cloud services. In fact if you took a Live photo from your iphone and it gets uploaded to Google photos, you will see a "Motion on/off" button on the top right of the picture when you view it. Choose the one you want to see the picture in...

Cheers!
Thanks for the detailed info!
Reventon
post Jun 16 2019, 02:54 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,921 posts

QUOTE(krishtiano86 @ Jun 14 2019, 08:35 PM)
Such much hassle for RM3.90  rclxub.gif
Its not much hassle at all , download g photo and then sign in your google account, and it will auto upload all your photo in background. Thats all.

TSanakMY
post Jun 16 2019, 07:54 AM

Regular
1,348 posts

QUOTE(Reventon @ Jun 16 2019, 02:54 AM)
Its not much hassle at all , download g photo and then sign in your google account, and it will auto upload all your photo in background. Thats all.
Main reason I chose iCloud is because I wanna opt for “optimise storage” , I don’t think with google photos Has this option.
yongtjunkit
post Jun 16 2019, 10:13 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,483 posts

QUOTE(anakMY @ Jun 16 2019, 07:54 AM)
Main reason I chose iCloud is because I wanna opt for “optimise storage” , I don’t think with google photos Has this option.
QUOTE(Reventon @ Jun 16 2019, 02:54 AM)
If you choose unlimited storage on google photos, it will upload your picture but not in full quality( full quality will use your google drive storage)- your mileage may vary in terms of quality(to test, upload your picture to google photos and delete the photo from your phone. If you don’t delete, google photo will use the local copy which is the original quality)

I believe google photos have the option to delete local photo library with a click

This post has been edited by yongtjunkit: Jun 16 2019, 10:16 AM
lattemild
post Jun 17 2019, 02:28 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

Wait until your iphone nags you when you don't have enough storage space. That's when your predicament starts. You have to start preparations before you reach that stage. Now with iOS 13 coming, it's going to be very interesting and (productive?).

IOS 13 will have usb support (you'll need a usb power adapter to power your external drive). That means you can plug in your external drive (usually ssd) into your iphone and take out all your photos/videos collection in your camera roll. Then you can decide whether you wants to delete your camera roll. Just leave it be because Apple will clear the oldest files first..

That's why I suggest have other cloud services beside depending only on Apple. If you have installed Onedrive or Google Photos and set it up to upload your camera roll to them...then you have a plan B.

As stated in my previous posts, don't worry too much about the quality of the PHOTOS....its the VIDEO quality that is degraded more prominently! Nothing is free in this world, more so with free storage. So compare with photos and videos, its the latter that cloud services would be paying attention to reduce the sizes so that their servers are not overloaded.

To get the best out of these situations:-

1. Organise to download your iphone photos/videos into monthly categories....Jan, Feb, Mar and so on.

2. Get to your icloud.com account and download to your PC or Mac. I had a PC and the download is in a zip file. Name your zip file uniquely...otherwise every month's zipfile is the same filename with a running sequence number!

3. Then extract them and put into uniquely named folders on your PC ( or get a portable ssd device - I'm eyeing the SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD).

4. Your icloud media collection might stretch back many years....your travel and loved ones memories etc. You don't want to lose them! Because we own previous iphones ( I don't) models and take a lot of photos/videos with them, I think they are still in your icloud account...check them out.

5. Moving forward, you can happily go snapping photos/videos and every month download them into your PCs or external drives....just keep them away from Apple's ecosystem....just so you don't make a costly mistake of accidentally deleting them from your iphone and icloud..

Cheers!

skaiz
post Jun 18 2019, 10:42 AM

18 posts

if i delete all the photos in icloud, will it auto be deleted on all my devices too?

i used to put all photos to icloud due to lack of storage on phone. now i have ady downloaded all the photos back to my bigger storage phone and the icloud is full.
lattemild
post Jun 18 2019, 12:04 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

It's complicated....

1. Do you have a PC or MacBook or iPad?
2. Do you have MS Onedrive or Google Photos apps on your iphone, PC or MacBook or iPad?
3. Does your PC or MacBook have sufficient storage if you move all the photos/videos presently in your iphone and icloud to these devices?
4.It's complicated if I don't have an understanding of your present setups.I can't offer comments if I don't have the required info...fair enough?

Cheers!

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0114sec    0.18    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:22 AM