Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> HBO's Chernobyl, 2019 best TV show by far.

views

TS6so
post Jun 5 2019, 08:10 PM, updated 2 months ago

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

Three episodes in, this is already the best show for me this year. The top notch performance and amazing script. Jared Harris outdid himself again from last year's The Terror. Stellan Skarsgard plays the role of his lifetime here. Don't miss out on this gripping drama. Even the creepy boy from Killing of The Sacred Deer is in the show. You're on the edge all the time, the hopelessness and fear keep escalating.

This post has been edited by 6so: Jun 8 2019, 03:37 PM
defaultname365
post Jun 5 2019, 10:31 PM

Windows® 8.1 | Xbox 360™ | PlayStation® 4
Group: Senior Member

Watched the first episode thus far... by far the best episode of a TV show I've seen this year and that includes GoT. nod.gif
ableze_joepardy
post Jun 5 2019, 11:06 PM

*w0ot*

ya i hope later got series on piper alpha, bhopal gas, deepwater horizon, mh370

based on true story series.
skylinelover
post Jun 6 2019, 10:51 AM

Future Crypto Player😄👊Driver Abamsado😎😎

Haha nice laugh.gif rclxms.gif
TS6so
post Jun 8 2019, 03:37 PM

Getting Started

I'm speechless with the finale. Not because it's bad but how they able to keep raising the bar. You are heartbroken at the sheer incompetence demonstrated by those heartless bureaucrats. No mainstream horror film directors can come even close to replicating the pure dread and terror you keep experiencing every episode. It's the scariest thing you could have watched. Again the Swedish demonstrated their A-game at tackling dark and gritty subjects. The eerie music scoring send the shiver down my spine. It's Johann Johannsson on steroids.

Come the award season, this mini-series is the one to beat.

This post has been edited by 6so: Jun 8 2019, 03:38 PM
Meis
post Jun 9 2019, 04:31 AM

Thinker

Reminds me of Alexander Hleb's father
gaeria84
post Jun 9 2019, 11:42 AM

Enthusiast

Scenes of people dying: Unmoved, some are laughable even

This scene: cry.gif cry.gif cry.gif

greyshadow
post Jun 10 2019, 03:09 PM

I bleed it out, Diggin' deeper just to throw it away!

A fantastic series on the worst man made disaster in history

I only have one thing to complain, actors speaking in Euro/British accent tongue.gif
if they can speak with more Russian accent then it would be perfect tongue.gif

but it seems Russia wasn't happy with the series, and planning to film their own version laugh.gif and it will focus more on CIA vs KGB aspect during the incident laugh.gif which they claim CIA is responsible for this "accident" as well laugh.gif
defaultname365
post Jun 10 2019, 03:17 PM

Windows® 8.1 | Xbox 360™ | PlayStation® 4

Just finished the show over the weekend. First I have salute the men/women that went all out to help each other during this disaster.

Secondly, HBO has done it again.

"Chernobyl" has to be the best TV mini-series I've seen in years. You don't need to subvert expectations or have twists/turns *cough* GoT fans that criticized S8 haters *cough* but this is how you do it - - great writing, great direction, brilliant dialogues, impeccable acting (faultless I tell ya..), unbelievably legit casting, music score that drives each episode and I'm pretty sure, VFX (which I hardly can spot the use of).

Most know the plot or rather the true story of the nuclear plant disaster. We already know the ending from the beginning, yet the mini-series was able to deliver the story with such poise and quality that HBO is known for. I remember finding out about the story when I was a kid, but I haven't jogged my memory about the exact details.

The show opens with an 'epilogue' - which I had no idea, only later on the realization hit me and as the episodes went on it weighed on me even more as to why Legasov did what he did (I thought maybe he sacrificed too many 'biorobots').

Here's my highlights of each episode:
Episode 1 "1:23:45" - The entire episode was edge-of-your-seat stuff. The explosion of the reactor and the direct aftermath. The stellar use of the Geiger counter sound and how it rapidly increases with the Roentgen, really piles on the stress. You just hate Dyatlov, and everything he does to undermine the seriousness of the incident. The final episode you hate him 10x more. The production quality is nothing short of extraordinary.

Episode 2 "Please Remain Calm" - This episode brings Jared Harris' character Legasov and Stellan Skarsgård's Shcherbina together. What started out super cold, the final episode brings them together, that reduces Scherbina's character to a pitiful state. The evacuation begins, this episode shows more of the city and yet again, they went all out to bring together the details (the costumes, the vehicles, the extras) that seem authentic to the tee.

Episode 3 "Open Wide, O Earth" - Tunnel excavation under adverse conditions led by Glukhov -- caution, nekkid men everywhere! The hospital scenes were just plain depressing. So much suffering. sad.gif

Episode 4 "The Happiness of All Mankind" - Oh boy, this episode. Really tough. The shooting of stray animals, well actually some even pets sweat.gif The scene with the pupps... sigh... cry.gif Khomyuk's research finally uncovers what really happened. It is all state secret, and cover-ups, just to show the superiority of the Soviet Union at the potential cost of lives even after the disaster occurred. Someone had to reveal it all.. this episode really built up for the final revelation.

Episode 5
"Eternal Memory" / "Vichnaya Pamyat" - Phew. This episode was a real tear jerker. The testimony, the flashback... the most touching and tear jerking scene in this episode:
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

cry.gif

The show ends with images from the actual incident, the actual characters, legitimizing the entire series even more as one of the best mini-series ever made.

I must say, the series EXCEEDED my expectations. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and watch it.

10/10 for me.

I think the show will rake in a lot of awards/nomination. And pleasssse, give Jared Harris an Emmy at least.

cytyler
post Jun 10 2019, 04:30 PM

Getting Started

that's really a good show
Wisana P
post Jun 14 2019, 09:29 PM

Group: Probation

In fact, this is quite an interesting series, despite the fact that there are some not very truthful moments. For example, when they had not yet flown to the station itself, and Legasov said that there was graphite on the roof. Or is it something I do not understand.
pot-8-O's
post Jun 15 2019, 01:03 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Wisana @ Jun 14 2019, 09:29 PM)
In fact, this is quite an interesting series, despite the fact that there are some not very truthful moments. For example, when they had not yet flown to the station itself, and Legasov said that there was graphite on the roof. Or is it something I do not understand.
Because in Boris's report states that one of the fireman has burn marks after grabbing something black from the ground which is clearly graphite since the only black mineral that can be found in a nuclear power plant is infact graphite.

He didn't mention graphite on the roof until they're flying
gaeria84
post Jun 16 2019, 11:56 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(Wisana @ Jun 14 2019, 09:29 PM)

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
skystrike
post Jun 18 2019, 12:09 AM

back to normal

just watched 4th episode....this tv show deserved at least to be nominated for emmy & golden globe awards..
markgrynko1472
post Jun 18 2019, 10:58 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(greyshadow @ Jun 10 2019, 03:09 PM)

I only have one thing to complain, actors speaking in Euro/British accent tongue.gif

Not just on Chernobyl, but if you notice German characters on other shows also have British accent. Must be because of the intended audience - Americans. Still in English so they can understand, but with a different accent so they can disassociate it from themselves. Also, less likely to do a bad job with Russian accents tongue.gif
gaeria84
post Jun 18 2019, 03:27 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(greyshadow @ Jun 10 2019, 03:09 PM)
A fantastic series on the worst man made disaster in history

but it seems Russia wasn't happy with the series, and planning to film their own version laugh.gif and it will focus more on CIA vs KGB aspect during the incident laugh.gif which they claim CIA is responsible for this "accident" as well laugh.gif
If you watched the BTS, initially they wanted to go with Russian accents, ended up not doing it as faking russian accents sounded pretty stupid

This post has been edited by gaeria84: Jun 18 2019, 03:28 PM
skystrike
post Jun 18 2019, 10:29 PM

back to normal

QUOTE(markgrynko1472 @ Jun 18 2019, 10:58 AM)
Not just on Chernobyl, but if you notice German characters on other shows also have British accent. Must be because of the intended audience - Americans. Still in English so they can understand, but with a different accent so they can disassociate it from themselves. Also, less likely to do a bad job with Russian accents  tongue.gif
Same like enemy of the gates...use british accent when whole film about russian..
Menth1985 P
post Jun 20 2019, 07:10 PM

Group: Probation

Seeing Jared Harris involved in this is what got me to watch. Always a delight to see that man in different roles. The first time I watched him was as Lane Pryce in Mad Men. His acting in Chernobyl is also more than a-okay!
markgrynko1472
post Jun 26 2019, 12:33 PM

Getting Started

Yeah, the British accents aren't a big deal for me at least, as far as comprehension goes. Slight suspension of belief in play here ha ha!

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0725sec    0.76    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 17th July 2019 - 06:21 AM