Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Do Clichés Make a Horror Film Bad?

views

6so
post Jun 3 2019, 08:38 AM

Getting Started
121 posts

You are just pointing out horror tropes in generic hollywood studios output. Every decision being made to maximize ticket sales. It's all about trend and narrative formulas. Put the blame on audience's complacency to genre familiarity as their wallet just informed the studios what to produce.

WB, Lionsgates or James Wan and what not will just keep pushing out what has proven to work on the market until it's not profitable or another new trend emerges.

Then you have the rule of exception, The Cabin in the Woods uses every conceivable horror tropes to subvert your expectation. Scream also does that for the first movie.

If you are watching by your definition "cliche" horror movie, you already knew what you are getting into. Unless, a big name auteur directing it or adaptation of a masterpiece source material or someone setting a new trend.

Instead, pondering a meandering question, do your research on the people behind the movie. Blumhouse can get creative with their horror subjects but low budget. A24's annual horror release that has become the hot ticket for indie breakout film directors. If you want original and artsy kind, experiment with european cinema and critical niche films.

6so
post Jun 3 2019, 01:04 PM

Getting Started
121 posts

QUOTE(ThalaFan @ Jun 3 2019, 01:22 PM)
Conjurin 2 & Hereditary are only watchable/decent one's that I remember watchin
Then your knowledge of horror genre extremely shallow. tongue.gif
6so
post Jun 3 2019, 02:22 PM

Getting Started
121 posts

QUOTE(ThalaFan @ Jun 3 2019, 02:52 PM)
Im not a fan of horror genre mind you.  I'd rather watch action/adventure genre fims instead of spendin my time analysing behind-the-camera thingy😂
Then why bother to comment? Lol....
6so
post Jun 3 2019, 04:37 PM

Getting Started
121 posts

QUOTE(ThalaFan @ Jun 3 2019, 05:11 PM)
There's diff to being a fan & posting opinions related to discussed topic. I'd suggest ya stop ur attempt at bein elitist with me
Errmmm...perhaps you don't use wording "are only watchable".

Your post implying others who have enjoyed different movies other than the mentioned references does not warrant merit.

Guess you're an elitist as well....lol...

6so
post Jun 4 2019, 07:09 PM

Getting Started
121 posts

QUOTE(darkslatemedia @ Jun 4 2019, 07:01 PM)
Hi, that was kind of the point of the post. Most of the cliches that I've stated are from mainstream horror, therefore I get where you're coming from. However, these are the kind of movies that get the most attention from the masses and overall giving modern horror a bad rep. The problem starts when these horror tropes start seeping into the independent films and passion projects. Cinema in and of itself is greatly influenced by other films, be it mainstream or not. I do praise studios like A24 and Blumhouse for bringing something new to the masses and of course the Jennifer Kent's of the world for creating depth in their films.

Here's where it starts getting a little convoluted - the question being asked was does having cliches in a horror movie make it bad and truth be told there's no straight answer for that. Most of us would give it a pass if the final product is great (e.g The Conjuring, Sinister, the first Paranormal) but should the film be nothing but a blatant cash-grab with no artistic value, then these cliches become more apparent (e.g. Truth or Dare, Ouija, Slender Man). So, does that mean that we should embrace these horror tropes and call it a day or expect filmmakers to do better?

Whatever your answer is, one thing's for sure - once you start noticing these tropes in a film, you can never un-see them.

Hope you have a great day!
-Luke
Grrr...you are missing the point! First of all, it's movie tropes and not cliches. It's a tool in the arsenal of film makers. It will never be rid off as long as people continue to practice film making. There's good or bad usage of it and pointless to call it out to be eliminated. Like I said before, cinema goer voted with their wallet to buy into blatant cash grab movies. Instead of throwing a loaded question to camouflage your dissatisfaction, try convince those people who like those movies you deemed unsatisfactory to change their mind. When you are successful at it, perhaps the hollywood bigwigs will listen to you and ban all these unnecessary horror movie tropes.

I don't fault Jordan Peele for using jump scares and "idiot victim" tropes in Us. Do I need to boycott Tarantino for appropriating genre movie tropes as part of his stylistic identity. It's all about how the movie tropes being used in context. It is not my place to stop people from enjoying movies that not on my wheelhouse.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0136sec    0.29    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:28 PM