Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Maxis connections abroad - speeding up, Speed to foreign countries low/limited

views

TSmrgenie
post Jun 2 2019, 11:00 AM, updated 5y ago

32 posts

Dear all,

we have this Maxis Fiber Internet 100Mbps. Inside Malaysia, apart from peak times, we get close to 100Mbps.
To Singapore the speed already drops to 60Mbps max
To India/Japan/China the speed drops to 20Mbps max
To USA/Europe the speed drops to 10Mbps max

Also to get to Europe the traceroute showing all connections to Europe are routed:
to Singapore, to Japan, across the pacific, to the US west coast, through the USA, to US east coast, across the Atlantic, now I'm finally in Europe.

When I had a fiber internet in Europe, with 100Mbps, I got speed to Russia/USA/Asia 100Mbps
After I upgraded to 500Mbps in Europe I got speeds to Russia/USA/Asia 250Mbps

So now I connect to Europe using ipvanish and their server in India.

So instead of my max 10Mbps, most of the time only 1Mbps, I now get 20Mbps max, which sometimes drops to 10-12Mbps but it never
drops to 1Mbps like standard direct connection from Maxis to Europe.

Copying 10Gb of data over Maxis - Europe goes with 0.1Megabyte per second, ~100kByte per second.
Copying 10Gb of data through IPVanish in Mumbia goes with 2Megabyte per second, ~2000kByte per second.

So obviously forcing the routing through India makes the connection 20 times faster than default maxis routing tables.

But since I was used in Europe to 20-30Megabyte per second I want to achieve this in Malaysia as well.

2Megabyte per second I already got that.

Anyone any tips how to improve these speeds by factor 10?

I asked Maxis support but they said: "100Mbps or 800Mbps going outside of Malaysia doesn't make any difference, all connections going outside of Malaysia are limited/capped"

So any suggestions?

Paying 100-400RM for a fast service is fine. These are normal fiber internet prices in Europe as well.

Solutions that cost 1000RM or more are not viable, I don't see the point when I can get 250Mbps worldwide in Europe for 50-60EUR/Month why I'd pay more than that in
a country where I know the employees earn much less and thus everything should be equal price or less.

So if anyone knows how to improve foreign connections for a proper pricing for private people (I understand for business it's different but business also earns a lot
more money than private people usually)

TSmrgenie
post Jun 12 2019, 07:05 PM

32 posts

QUOTE(mfa682 @ Jun 9 2019, 10:43 PM)
Is the connection to overseas really that bad? I always download android rom from androidfilehost.com and the mirror for the download servers have always been located in Europe, Canada, and the US.

Just now I downloaded a rom (single file, 2.74g, UK server) and it took me 3 minutes and 1 second to complete.

I'm using maxis home fibre 300mbps, no VPN, and with cloudflare 1.1.1.1 dns (which literally doesn't make much difference on download speed most of the time).

I also performed speedtest to servers in London and Texas and the results are quite satisfying.

I'm quite a noob when it comes to Internet networking so if in wrong please enlighten me.
[attachmentid=10261783]
[attachmentid=10261787]
Hello mfa682,

those are amazing speeds!

Could you do from your end a speedtest to
1) KPN B.V. Den Haag
2) Tele2 Netherlands B.V. Amsterdam
3) SuitIT Eindhoven

& are you east or west malaysia?

Thank you!
TSmrgenie
post Jun 30 2019, 09:08 AM

32 posts

QUOTE(mfa682 @ Jun 15 2019, 12:20 PM)
As promised,
[attachmentid=10264549][attachmentid=10264551][attachmentid=10264553]
Wow, Thank you. So West Malaysia has really good speeds!!!

It's very weird. To Kuala Lumpur I get 100/50 almost maxed out.

But then to Europe/USA it drops I can't get any where close to your speed.

Also my latency to Europe/USA is over 300ms

And I tried with TM and Maxis, both have these speeds to Europe and USA from our location
but again, to KL we get very fast speeds.

Do you have a business or private contract?

Sorry asking so much details, but I would love to know exactly what might be the reason your internet is much faster then what I have
so I can upgrade/change my connection to yours smile.gif
TSmrgenie
post Jun 30 2019, 12:55 PM

32 posts

So I asked Maxis Customer support about this.

Person near KL gets to EU/USA 200/50Mbps
Person in KK gets to KL 100/50Mbps
Person in KK get to EU/USA 20/2Mbps (Through KL!!!)

That just doesn't make sense. So I asked Maxis support for Option
A) Sabah people are generally filtered, blocked, throttled because they are from Sabah
B) there is a fault in Maxis network

I asked them: A or B?

No answer. Won't answer. Refuses to let me contact fiber team professional.

So, because they refuse to answer, I start to think option A?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0151sec    0.18    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:14 AM