Maxis connections abroad - speeding up, Speed to foreign countries low/limited

views

kelvinjohn
post Jun 7 2019, 08:44 PM

Getting Started
105 posts

QUOTE(mrgenie @ Jun 2 2019, 11:00 AM)
Dear all,

we have this Maxis Fiber Internet 100Mbps. Inside Malaysia, apart from peak times, we get close to 100Mbps.
To Singapore the speed already drops to 60Mbps max
To India/Japan/China the speed drops to 20Mbps max
To USA/Europe the speed drops to 10Mbps max

Also to get to Europe the traceroute showing all connections to Europe are routed:
to Singapore, to Japan, across the pacific, to the US west coast, through the USA, to US east coast, across the Atlantic, now I'm finally in Europe.

When I had a fiber internet in Europe, with 100Mbps, I got speed to Russia/USA/Asia 100Mbps
After I upgraded to 500Mbps in Europe I got speeds to Russia/USA/Asia 250Mbps

So now I connect to Europe using ipvanish and their server in India.

So instead of my max 10Mbps, most of the time only 1Mbps, I now get 20Mbps max, which sometimes drops to 10-12Mbps but it never
drops to 1Mbps like standard direct connection from Maxis to Europe.

Copying 10Gb of data over Maxis - Europe goes with 0.1Megabyte per second, ~100kByte per second.
Copying 10Gb of data through IPVanish in Mumbia goes with 2Megabyte per second, ~2000kByte per second.

So obviously forcing the routing through India makes the connection 20 times faster than default maxis routing tables.

But since I was used in Europe to 20-30Megabyte per second I want to achieve this in Malaysia as well.

2Megabyte per second I already got that.

Anyone any tips how to improve these speeds by factor 10?

I asked Maxis support but they said: "100Mbps or 800Mbps going outside of Malaysia doesn't make any difference, all connections going outside of Malaysia are limited/capped"

So any suggestions?

Paying 100-400RM for a fast service is fine. These are normal fiber internet prices in Europe as well.

Solutions that cost 1000RM or more are not viable, I don't see the point when I can get 250Mbps worldwide in Europe for 50-60EUR/Month why I'd pay more than that in
a country where I know the employees earn much less and thus everything should be equal price or less.

So if anyone knows how to improve foreign connections for a proper pricing for private people (I understand for business it's different but business also earns a lot
more money than private people usually)
What can you expect from a company which its only priority is to make money? Bigger pipe overseas = more money needed.

Even MCMC doesn't really regulate speeds going out of the country, so even if the bottleneck is 1Mbps, nothing they will do about it. If you don't have an alternative like TIME which is able to do over 200Mbps to London, I suggest you connect to a local Malaysia VPN server for maximum speed and "data centre routing"...way better than Maxis...although some increase in ping. Search this forum and you could find that VPN for just RM50 a year.

This post has been edited by kelvinjohn: Jun 7 2019, 08:45 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0143sec    0.08    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:07 AM