Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Expectations For Godzilla: King of The Monsters

views

TSdarkslatemedia P
post May 29 2019, 04:50 AM, updated 5y ago

Probation
0 posts

Okay so Godzilla: King of The Monsters comes out real soon and I'm super pumped about it. The film is projected to open with a whooping $50 million debut and early reactions to the movie has been mostly positive. This is great. This means that the film maybe heading in the right direction – maybe. The 3rd entry to the MonsterVerse is set to ramp up the stakes by bringing in not just 1, but 3 iconic kaiju monsters excluding Godzilla to face-of in this epic extravaganza. Here’s everything we’re expecting for Godzilla: King of The Monsters.

1. LET THE FILM ACTUALLY BE ABOUT THE MONSTERS

With a film titled “Godzilla”, one might think that the movie will be about the titular character. However, this wasn’t the case in 2014’s “Godzilla”. See, while that movie did feature Godzilla appearing every now and then, it wasn’t exactly ABOUT him. In a film that’s over 2 hours long, the King of The Monsters only appears for a mere 10 minutes – that’s sad. Really sad.

2. SHOW US THE ACTIONS, NOT THE AFTER EFFECTS

Again in reference to 2014’s “Godzilla”, the film was a huge tease to epic fight scenes. While the movie did give us the iconic “spit down the throat” scene, we really wanted to see that fight at the airport. Like really. So please guys, actually show us the actions – don’t cut away from it.

3. BALANCE

In a film with 4 giant monsters running through a city while tearing down everything in it’s path, it’s going to be a huge task for the filmmakers to give equal importance to each character. That being said, it’s not like it hasn’t been done before. Avengers: Endgame, while it didn’t feature monsters did that pretty darn well by having balance in the film. In no way am I comparing this to the Avengers because, come on. Plus the film also features a ton of human characters as well so it’s pretty obvious that it’s going to be a difficult thing to do. Pleasing the fans while making a movie is never easy and we hope that King of The Monsters does both by finding the perfect balance between each character.

4. EPIC POST-CREDITS (MAYBE?)

It’s pretty obvious that this film is part of Warner Bros and Legendary’s MonsterVerse and we all know that Godzilla vs. Kong comes out next year. So with that, we hope to see Kong make his way into the city in the post-credit scene, setting the stage for the next showdown. 2017’s “Kong: Skull Island” teased us with the events of this film, so why not have this film feature the next?

And that’s it. That’s all of my expectations for Godzilla: King of The Monsters. What do you guys wish to see in the film? Be sure to leave your thoughts and prepare yourselves for what seems to be the biggest battle of the year!
cooldude17
post May 29 2019, 08:58 AM

On my way
693 posts

Saw the trailer already hype, this is my most anticipate movie after Avengers Endgame.Hope the movie turn out nice.
TSdarkslatemedia P
post May 29 2019, 03:52 PM

Probation
0 posts

QUOTE(cooldude17 @ May 29 2019, 08:58 AM)
Saw the trailer already hype, this is my most anticipate movie after Avengers Endgame.Hope the movie turn out nice.
Yup, the trailers and marketing for the film have been really good. Im hoping that they don't drop the ball on this one
cooldude17
post May 29 2019, 04:01 PM

On my way
693 posts

The star review came out already, looks very promising.👍
tonYe
post May 29 2019, 04:54 PM

Game Designer
1,454 posts

It's enjoyable if you're fan of just purely kaiju fights. The story, narratives and characters are very weak compared to the first film.
TSdarkslatemedia P
post May 29 2019, 06:15 PM

Probation
0 posts

QUOTE(cooldude17 @ May 29 2019, 04:01 PM)
The star review came out already, looks very promising.👍
Only hoping for the best!

QUOTE(tonYe @ May 29 2019, 04:54 PM)
It's enjoyable if you're fan of just purely kaiju fights. The story, narratives and characters are very weak compared to the first film.
Yup, I watched Chris Stuckmann's review of it and I think it's best to go in purely for the monster fights.
ThalaFan
post May 29 2019, 06:33 PM

1 posts

I mean....its called "King of Monsters". What your gonna get are Monsters...

Its weird when ppl criticized 2014 version: less monster fight, more humans

But in 2019 version: more monsters, less humans😂😂😂
tonYe
post May 29 2019, 08:22 PM

Game Designer
1,454 posts

QUOTE(ThalaFan @ May 29 2019, 06:33 PM)
I mean....its called "King of Monsters". What your gonna get are Monsters...

Its weird when ppl criticized 2014 version: less monster fight, more humans

But in 2019 version: more monsters, less humans😂😂😂
There's still more human interactions than I would've liked. And it's poorly written and developed
ThalaFan
post May 30 2019, 05:31 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(tonYe @ May 29 2019, 08:22 PM)
There's still more human interactions than I would've liked. And it's poorly written and developed
Its not Godfather or Dark Knight trilogy to develop Michael Corleone or Bruce Wayne's character arcs into completion

Its Godzilla. Its a kaiju film. And while I'd admit characters in this film as plot-devices to propel the film forward, its undeniably enjoyable than watchin say, Elizabeth Olsen running at the sight of Godzilla (2014) or Aaron Tyler doin his mundane stuffs, while killin-off by far the best character in that filn Bryan Cranston.

This film had fine performances from every actors/actresses & ultimately its monster-battle royale
tonYe
post May 30 2019, 09:59 PM

Game Designer
1,454 posts

QUOTE(ThalaFan @ May 30 2019, 05:31 PM)
Its not Godfather or Dark Knight trilogy to develop Michael Corleone or Bruce Wayne's character arcs into completion

Its Godzilla. Its a kaiju film. And while I'd admit characters in this film as plot-devices to propel the film forward, its undeniably enjoyable than watchin say, Elizabeth Olsen running at the sight of Godzilla (2014) or Aaron Tyler doin his mundane stuffs, while killin-off by far the best character in that filn Bryan Cranston.

This film had fine performances from every actors/actresses & ultimately its monster-battle royale
Well that's almost the same reason Bayformers suck.

It could've been better written and developed like say some of Japan's Godzilla films with actual purpose to convey a message at least instead of wasting time blatantly spelling them out like Vera Farmiga did here with slideshows prepared lol

The main issue this sequel faced was that they were unable to bring back the characters they spent so much time developing in the first film. So they rushed introducing a new family instead and it felt empty. Even Mothra's involvement felt out of place.

I think I would have probably still enjoyed the action by just YouTubing these scenes.
ThalaFan
post May 31 2019, 12:43 AM

1 posts

QUOTE(tonYe @ May 30 2019, 09:59 PM)
Well that's almost the same reason Bayformers suck.

It could've been better written and developed like say some of Japan's Godzilla films with actual purpose to convey a message at least instead of wasting time blatantly spelling them out like Vera Farmiga did here with slideshows prepared lol

The main issue this sequel faced was that they were unable to bring back the characters they spent so much time developing in the first film. So they rushed introducing a new family instead and it felt empty. Even Mothra's involvement felt out of place.

I think I would have probably still enjoyed the action by just YouTubing these scenes.
No offence, but didnt Bayformers suck due to:
1. Over-emphasizing on annoying, racist, super-sexist human characters as Sam, his GF, his parents, friends etc
2. Lack of detail to differentiating Autobots & Decepticons
3. Lack of human-touch to transformers actions besides Optimus & Bee
4. Chronically long, unnecesarry sex jokes and humans screentime with little focus on Transformers
5. Biggest flaw: almost zero plot & Bay dares to recycle it for 5 times (RoF, Age of Extinction & Last Knight biggest offender of them all)

Compared to that, no way is Godzilla: KOTM is even remotely close to suck

No one expects oscar/award-winning drama & development goin into a Kaiju film (Pacific Rim for instance)

Just what kind of character development you witnessed in 2014 version that engaged you, so much so you keep saying as if its glorified piece of work? Aaron Tyler & Elizabeth Olsen's characters were one-note while Bryan Cranston's character with the only redeeming figure of havin any depth was killed way halfway into the film.

Vera Farmiga & Emily (from Stranger Things) had great mother-daughter bond which was translated to the screen thanks to their competent acting. The entire military operation scene unlike in 2014 version was alot more engaging as it had multiracial casts & interesting as it actually showed military DID something of use in the film...unlike in 2014 version

Trust me, most of us youtube every hi-fi, epic, money-shot scenes. Avengers: Endgame had like over 20 youtube leaks per day. Its matter of experiencing the moment collectively & Godzilla: KOTM is easily most entertaining event-movie of the year which delivered on what it promises: lotsa monster brawl.

I hated 2014 version at initial viewing. But upon repeated viewing, felt it was an okay film (lacking Godzilla screentime ofc which was was abysmal 8 mins +). Still never felt as great or epic as how a Godzilla film should be

This movie however, flat-out made me declare it as greatest kaiju/Godzilla movie that came out from Hollywood. Was never a fan. Never read its comics or even watched regularly its animation. But this film amazed me. Enuf said
tonYe
post May 31 2019, 01:37 AM

Game Designer
1,454 posts

QUOTE(ThalaFan @ May 31 2019, 12:43 AM)
No offence, but didnt Bayformers suck due to:
1. Over-emphasizing on annoying, racist, super-sexist human characters as Sam, his GF, his parents, friends etc
2. Lack of detail to differentiating Autobots & Decepticons
3. Lack of human-touch to transformers actions besides Optimus & Bee
4. Chronically long, unnecesarry sex jokes and humans screentime with little focus on Transformers
5. Biggest flaw: almost zero plot & Bay dares to recycle it for 5 times (RoF, Age of Extinction & Last Knight biggest offender of them all)

Compared to that, no way is Godzilla: KOTM is even remotely close to suck

No one expects oscar/award-winning drama & development goin into a Kaiju film (Pacific Rim for instance)

Just what kind of character development you witnessed in 2014 version that engaged you, so much so you keep saying as if its glorified piece of work? Aaron Tyler & Elizabeth Olsen's characters were one-note while Bryan Cranston's character with the only redeeming figure of havin any depth was killed way halfway into the film.

Vera Farmiga & Emily (from Stranger Things) had great mother-daughter bond which was translated to the screen thanks to their competent acting. The entire military operation scene unlike in 2014 version was alot more engaging as it had multiracial casts & interesting as it actually showed military DID something of use in the film...unlike in 2014 version

Trust me, most of us youtube every hi-fi, epic, money-shot scenes. Avengers: Endgame had like over 20 youtube leaks per day. Its matter of experiencing the moment collectively & Godzilla: KOTM is easily most entertaining event-movie of the year which delivered on what it promises: lotsa monster brawl.

I hated 2014 version at initial viewing. But upon repeated viewing, felt it was an okay film (lacking Godzilla screentime ofc which was was abysmal 8 mins +). Still never felt as great or epic as how a Godzilla film should be

This movie however, flat-out made me declare it as greatest kaiju/Godzilla movie that came out from Hollywood. Was never a fan. Never read its comics or even watched regularly its animation. But this film amazed me. Enuf said
No offence taken. I can wholeheartedly agree Godzilla 2's writing doesn't suck to that extend of Bayformers. What I meant was that we shouldn't give poor storytelling and character development a pass simply because it's a kaiju/giant car robot flick otherwise we wouldn't consider Bayformers as crap. Sorry but "no one expects an Oscar movie" is not an excuse for that.

I never said the first film's characters that great. I'm just saying that it's less rushed and silly than this sequel's. And if they already spent so much time on them then, it might have had a better payoff if they could've used those characters.

Maybe I sounded a bit too negative here. In my review, I actually gave this sequel higher rating than the first film. I did enjoy it and the performances by the actors are faultless.

But I did feel the need to point out that the writing, narratives and character development are just not good enough. Action is fun, sure, but it would've even far better if i cared at least a little bit about the characters (e.g.; Netflix's Godzilla anime film trilogy which has a similar story progression as KOTM). And if there is a message to convey, it's a bonus. But if it's not going to be done right, it's only gonna feel forced or cliched. That's all I'm saying.

This post has been edited by tonYe: May 31 2019, 01:48 AM
6UE5T
post Jun 1 2019, 11:18 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(darkslatemedia @ May 29 2019, 04:50 AM)
Okay so Godzilla: King of The Monsters comes out real soon and I'm super pumped about it. The film is projected to open with a whooping $50 million debut and early reactions to the movie has been mostly positive. This is great. This means that the film maybe heading in the right direction – maybe. The 3rd entry to the MonsterVerse is set to ramp up the stakes by bringing in not just 1, but 3 iconic kaiju monsters excluding Godzilla to face-of in this epic extravaganza. Here’s everything we’re expecting for Godzilla: King of The Monsters.

1. LET THE FILM ACTUALLY BE ABOUT THE MONSTERS

With a film titled “Godzilla”, one might think that the movie will be about the titular character. However, this wasn’t the case in 2014’s “Godzilla”. See, while that movie did feature Godzilla appearing every now and then, it wasn’t exactly ABOUT him. In a film that’s over 2 hours long, the King of The Monsters only appears for a mere 10 minutes – that’s sad. Really sad.

2. SHOW US THE ACTIONS, NOT THE AFTER EFFECTS

Again in reference to 2014’s “Godzilla”, the film was a huge tease to epic fight scenes. While the movie did give us the iconic “spit down the throat” scene, we really wanted to see that fight at the airport. Like really. So please guys, actually show us the actions – don’t cut away from it.

3. BALANCE

In a film with 4 giant monsters running through a city while tearing down everything in it’s path, it’s going to be a huge task for the filmmakers to give equal importance to each character. That being said, it’s not like it hasn’t been done before. Avengers: Endgame, while it didn’t feature monsters did that pretty darn well by having balance in the film. In no way am I comparing this to the Avengers because, come on. Plus the film also features a ton of human characters as well so it’s pretty obvious that it’s going to be a difficult thing to do. Pleasing the fans while making a movie is never easy and we hope that King of The Monsters does both by finding the perfect balance between each character.

4. EPIC POST-CREDITS (MAYBE?)

It’s pretty obvious that this film is part of Warner Bros and Legendary’s MonsterVerse and we all know that Godzilla vs. Kong comes out next year. So with that, we hope to see Kong make his way into the city in the post-credit scene, setting the stage for the next showdown. 2017’s “Kong: Skull Island” teased us with the events of this film, so why not have this film feature the next?

And that’s it. That’s all of my expectations for Godzilla: King of The Monsters. What do you guys wish to see in the film? Be sure to leave your thoughts and prepare yourselves for what seems to be the biggest battle of the year!
Well this time I think this sequel fulfills your expectations except just the last one (but the ending of the movie before credits gived hints about how Kong will grie bigger/get stronger in the skull island.

It's a decent movie and surely much more enjoyable for monster movie fans than the 2014 movie.

A 7/10 from me.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0145sec    0.73    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:15 PM