Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Computer Science : UM or MMU

views

TSinfrasonic
post May 26 2019, 11:24 PM, updated 5y ago

--
648 posts

After days of reading online I've finally narrowed down to 2 choices, UM and MMU. However I am still keeping my choices open so if there's anyone who thinks there's better uni out there for CS, your comments are welcomed.

Now before some says UM the best since cheap, I was too late to apply for UM with UPU, so the only way now is to enter with their open intake now, which is way more expensive than the one with UPU. So I would say in a financial standpoint there will be no difference for me in this case, whether UM or MMU. In fact MMU may be cheaper as I'm eligible for their 50% scholarship.

I'm asking for some thoughts on these 2 unis, and the main things I'm concerned about is their student life (clubs, entertainment and stuffs) and syllabus (want CS course to learn and do real world stuff, not to have fun and pass easily). Like I said above, the fees does not matter.

This post has been edited by infrasonic: May 27 2019, 12:33 AM
dezz
post May 26 2019, 11:54 PM

Getting Started
201 posts

Well, graduated from mmu here. Can't say much bout syllabus as I'm from a different major. Lifestyle wise, mmu will cost ya. If you're self sponsored, the fee is a bit on the high side. If you can, try going for yayasan Telekom as it does gives advantages later on.

Clubs are quite good. Food are expensive as heck (well you can actually survive with the in campus food vendors). As for internship it still depends on you yourself.
Fzeo
post May 27 2019, 12:01 AM

Casual
451 posts

ntg much different. just living cost.

KL is expensive. Idk abt cyberjaya, maybe same.
Fzeo
post May 27 2019, 12:01 AM

Casual
451 posts

tf double post.

This post has been edited by Fzeo: May 27 2019, 12:02 AM
Human Nature
post May 27 2019, 12:31 AM

- student of human nature -
All Stars
25,131 posts

QUOTE(dezz @ May 26 2019, 11:54 PM)
Well, graduated from mmu here. Can't say much bout syllabus as I'm from a different major. Lifestyle wise, mmu will cost ya. If you're self sponsored, the fee is a bit on the high side. If you can, try going for yayasan Telekom as it does gives advantages later on.

Clubs are quite good. Food are expensive as heck (well you can actually survive with the in campus food vendors). As for internship it still depends on you yourself.
Expensive food....cyberjaya campus?
TSinfrasonic
post May 28 2019, 06:59 PM

--
648 posts

Which campus are you from? As I've heard that there's not much happening in Cyberjaya campus
James1983
post May 28 2019, 07:21 PM

💦kencing lettew💦
531 posts

definitely UM. it is the best uni in Malaysia
TSinfrasonic
post May 28 2019, 11:52 PM

--
648 posts

Which campus were you in?
dezz
post May 29 2019, 08:32 AM

Getting Started
201 posts

QUOTE(infrasonic @ May 28 2019, 11:52 PM)
Which campus were you in?
Cyberjaya.
joe_toye
post May 29 2019, 02:48 PM

Regular
1,249 posts

QUOTE(James1983 @ May 28 2019, 07:21 PM)
definitely UM. it is the best uni in Malaysia
For Computer Science - I agree with this statement. UM emphasizes a LOT on maths unlike some CS programmes in private universities and their entry allowance inside is very stringent. But they are currently the best out there!
Karvrenko
post May 29 2019, 02:55 PM

Getting Started
75 posts

I do not think UM is good for CS .. In the past year, their syllabus was somewhat behind the other uni. Last time UM just focusing their budget on medical faculty.
TLKoh
post May 29 2019, 09:45 PM

Getting Started
65 posts

UM for sure.
Tuition fees for UM is cheaper.
People consider UM is the "best" university in Malaysia.
joe_toye
post May 29 2019, 10:40 PM

Regular
1,249 posts

QUOTE(Karvrenko @ May 29 2019, 02:55 PM)
I do not think UM is good for CS .. In the past year, their syllabus was somewhat behind the other uni. Last time UM just focusing their budget on medical faculty.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

The students in UM CS programme are amazing; and heads and shoulders above anyone else.

There is a saying in academia:

If you have the best programme structure but the worse lecturers, you will most likely get sub-par students.

If you have the worse programme structure but the best lecturers, you will most likely get competent students.

If you have the best programme structure and the best lecturers, you will most likely get proficient students.

MGM
post May 30 2019, 12:36 AM

10k Club
All Stars
16,384 posts

Wonder what cgpa to get into UM's CS?
Will it accepts student from UTM's ASASI?
According to https://www.um.edu.my/academics/bachelor/co...-(science-data)
min cgpa is 3.0.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0241sec    0.35    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:39 AM