Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Furthering Study but CONFUSED (need help) :'(

views

TSastron
post May 24 2019, 11:29 PM, updated 5y ago

Getting Started
52 posts

Hi, UPU results hv been revealed recently and I'm quite devastated by the results. I got Diploma in Computer Science in UiTM. I'm from Science streams and my SPM results wasn't that bad (I got 4As, 3Bs and 1C) and I applied for Chemical Engineering but I didn't seem to get my desired course.

So, I've been thinking a while. I wanted to further my study and pursue my degree in other country like UK and Canada. So I thought that Diploma would be the best way because I have time to concentrate and not rushing like other student.

But recently, I thought about how long is Diploma and my mom advised me that its too long and she is quite dissapointed in me by saying "So diploma is around 2 years and a half, plus your degree, how long will it take for you to work?."

As a son, I'm very depressed because I couldn't make her happy about my decision and I wanted the best for my mom. I wanted to graduate faster so I can help her financially. (My dad is the only one who supported us for a long time, he's already 55 years old and have 4 children to take care of including myself)

And fyi, I'm the only one and the first child in my family to further my study on higher level. So I thought I wanted to change my programme.

I've been thinking about taking CIMP/ADTP/Ausmat so that I can fulfill both my dream to study abroad and to graduate faster for the sake of my family. However, we are not that financially stable so is there any scholarship (I don't think I'll get one because my SPM results is useless because I didn't work hard enough even tho I did my best sad.gif ) or any loan I could apply for so that I could further my study in stated pre-university programme ?

In addition, my dad is getting his EPF savings at the end of June, so I thought I could borrow some from him but not that much to lessen my burden. (Somehow I need to convince him to let me join those pre-u programme because it is expensive but for the sake of graduating faster, I think thats the only choice.)

So I would love to ask your opinions about my situation now, I really didn't want to take that diploma to be honest because of how long it is even though I can apply for credit transfer (I want my parents to be proud of me) . Thank you .
jstan102
post May 25 2019, 12:15 AM

Getting Started
67 posts

Why didn't you try for STPM and IPTA if you're financially tight? Maybe it's a bit long, but the amount you saved compared to IPTS will be so much more. From STPM to when you get your degree might be less than RM20k total.

This post has been edited by jstan102: May 25 2019, 12:15 AM
Krazeovau
post May 25 2019, 12:33 AM

Getting Started
80 posts

Even if the results were as bad as you thought, you should still try to apply for scholarships as some of them looks at your financial status as well not just results. Consider PTPTN even though yes, you still need to pay them back but beggars can't be choosers. Not to mention, you already have a Diploma. STPM should've been the route previously if you're tight on money as it's the same duration as Diploma and you still go to degree after. Perhaps A-Levels is the better Pre-U or take any Foundation program since they're actually cheaper than AUSMAT, CPU etc.

Not sure how financially tight your family is since you mentioned your parents have 4 kids including you and you're thinking about further studies abroad. But, I wouldn't really advise that since it really takes "a lot" of money especially UK & Canada and scholarships for them are extremely rare. Discounts are still likely.
James1983
post May 25 2019, 09:15 AM

💦kencing lettew💦
531 posts

I think your best bet is either STPM, or foundations program then Degree with PTPTN
MGM
post May 25 2019, 02:59 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,387 posts

QUOTE(astron @ May 24 2019, 11:29 PM)
Hi, UPU results hv been revealed recently and I'm quite devastated by the results. I got Diploma in Computer Science in UiTM. I'm from Science streams and my SPM results wasn't that bad (I got 4As, 3Bs and 1C) and I applied for Chemical Engineering but I didn't seem to get my desired course.

So, I've been thinking a while. I wanted to further my study and pursue my degree in other country like UK and Canada. So I thought that Diploma would be the best way because I have time to concentrate and not rushing like other student.

But recently, I thought about how long is Diploma and my mom advised me that its too long and she is quite dissapointed in me by saying "So diploma is around 2 years and a half, plus your degree, how long will it take for you to work?."

As a son, I'm very depressed because I couldn't make her happy about my decision and I wanted the best for my mom. I wanted to graduate faster so I can help her financially. (My dad is the only one who supported us for a long time, he's already 55 years old and have 4 children to take care of including myself)

And fyi, I'm the only one and the first child in my family to further my study on higher level. So I thought I wanted to change my programme.

I've been thinking about taking CIMP/ADTP/Ausmat so that I can fulfill both my dream to study abroad and to graduate faster for the sake of my family. However, we are not that financially stable so is there any scholarship (I don't think I'll get one because my SPM results is useless because I didn't work hard enough even tho I did my best sad.gif ) or any loan I could apply for so that I could further my study in stated pre-university programme ?

In addition, my dad is getting his EPF savings at the end of June, so I thought I could borrow some from him but not that much to lessen my burden. (Somehow I need to convince him to let me join those pre-u programme because it is expensive but for the sake of graduating faster, I think thats the only choice.)

So I would love to ask your opinions about my situation now, I really didn't want to take that diploma to be honest because of how long it is even though I can apply for credit transfer (I want my parents to be proud of me) . Thank you .
Only Bumi can get in UiTM right? U only took 8 subjects?
tpleong
post May 25 2019, 05:35 PM

Enthusiast
795 posts

I personally think you should go for the UITM route as you chances of going oversea for degree is greater since you are a Bumi. You may and should also try to switch course when you are at UITM . Cost wise , this is the cheapest and you are almost guarantee of furthering your study either local or oversea .

Doing pre-U, you need to get good result .

a19113
post May 27 2019, 10:20 AM

Getting Started
90 posts

QUOTE(MGM @ May 25 2019, 02:59 PM)
Only Bumi can get in UiTM right? U only took 8 subjects?
My Chinese friend got UiTM diploma comp sci as well
Startrek
post May 28 2019, 04:13 PM

Getting Started
81 posts

Chemical Engineering is amongst the tougher of engineering courses, your result does not qualify (due to limited places)

You want to further your studies overseas through your Diploma...Do local Unis have such arrangements?

If you've gotten your Engineering diploma, your total duration would be 3+3 = 6 year to complete your degree in engineering.
CS would be 2.5+2.5 = 5 years. (at IPTA)

Foundation would be 1+3 = 4 years at IPTS.

It's gonna be expensive! There are no scholarships available for you to continue overseas. No loans available for pre-u studies.
(JPA may give scholarships for A-Levels students.)

Graduating faster does not mean you will get a higher paying job faster. Already in debt before you graduate, and not getting highly paid in the first few years of graduation (a very likely scenario) will be too much pressure for you to bear.

You lament about your financial situation and yet you want to fast track to get an overseas education. How is that compatible?
Your parents are not proud of you because you have to do a diploma programme?

If you graduate with a Distinction in your Diploma and 1st Class in Degree, your parents will feel disappointed?

If you are really good, during the Internship part of your degree studies, you would have impressed the company to hire you even before you graduate.
Wouldn't that be something to be proud of?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0120sec    0.37    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:00 PM