Movies Aladdin (2019), Rub-A-Dub-Dub

views

TSMov_freak
post May 23 2019, 10:31 PM, updated 5y ago

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

user posted image

Aladdin is a 2019 American musical fantasy film directed by Guy Ritchie, who co-wrote the screenplay with John August. Produced by Walt Disney Pictures, it is a live-action adaptation of Disney's 1992 animated film of the same name, which was based on the eponymous folktale from One Thousand and One Nights. The film stars Will Smith, Mena Massoud, Naomi Scott, Marwan Kenzari, Navid Negahban, Nasim Pedrad, and Billy Magnussen. In the film, street urchin Aladdin finds a magic lamp and must use it to win over Princess Jasmine and defeat the evil Jafar.

In October 2016, Disney announced Ritchie would direct a live-action Aladdin remake. Smith was the first member of the cast to join, signing on to portray Genie in July 2017, and later that month Massoud and Scott were confirmed for the two lead roles. Principal photography began that September at Longcross Studios in Surrey, England, also filming in the Wadi Rum Desert in Jordan, and lasted until January 2018. The film also pays tribute to the late Robin Williams, who voiced Genie in the animated feature and died in 2014.

(excerpt from Wikipedia)
TSMov_freak
post May 23 2019, 10:31 PM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

Aladdin (2019)

I missed the first 10 minutes

Darn traffic!!!!

I went to 1Utama, TGV Imax, because I believe, image wise, this would be a spectacle.

And I was correct.

It is breathtaking!!!

Thank you Disney, for NOT whitewashing this!!

Let's introduced the two main leads Mena Massoud (age 27) is Aladdin and he is also all eyes and dimples and Naomi Grace Scott (age 26) does Jasmine justice (Is it me or does she remind anyone else of Sarah Michelle Gellar, I mean a young Sarah Michelle Gellar!!).

If there is any powerful movie producer reading this, please please please make another Prince of Persia and cast Mena Massoud. He will make a GREAT Prince of Persia (if one is to believe he did half the stunts in this movie).

Okay, back to this movie. Okay, I caught the tail-end of Arabian Nights songs, so that would give you an idea of where I made it to the Imax Theatre.

Then the One Jump Ahead song happened, and you are immediately sold on Mena Massoud as Aladdin and Naomi Grace Scott as Jasmine.

I was originally concern that Marwan Kenzari as Jafar lack the gravitas of Jonathan Freeman (voice wise). What he lack in term if vocal capabilities, he more than make up for in his actions.

My main concern is the Genie role. How is ANYONE going to replace Robin Williams. I know he only the voiced the role of Genie, but come on, he MADE that role. And if you watch it back he made it enjoyable for the kids and there were alot of hidden jokes for the parents as well (with a nod and wink). Under Guy Ritchie direction, Will Smith did a decent job of the role.

I really don't believe that Mena Massoud was 1yo and Naomi Grace Scott was not even born with the animated feature was first release...

Another observation is that Disney for the pass 10 years, is quietly making this females roles, more independent. And in this, the actually made Jasmine an equal to Aladdin street smarts. Good for you Disney.

I have to say the ending as a little awkward... You will know what I mean when you watch this.

To farther show how diverse this movie it, what better way than to end on a... Bollywood note??? smile.gif

In short, I did enjoy this movie.

There in something for everyone in this family oriented movie.

I give to you, ladies and gentlemen, my two sen.

This post has been edited by Mov_freak: May 23 2019, 10:35 PM
SUSeksk
post May 23 2019, 10:52 PM

On my way
586 posts

not gonna watch.. as with all the disney remakes of all their classic animated series.. why film everything with the same as the animated with the same songs.. nothing new to offer, just cash grab
TSMov_freak
post May 23 2019, 11:44 PM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

QUOTE(eksk @ May 23 2019, 10:52 PM)
not gonna watch.. as with all the disney remakes of all their classic animated series.. why film everything with the same as the animated with the same songs.. nothing new to offer, just cash grab
That is one way of looking at it.

The truth of the matter is, they (Hollywood) is running out of ideas.

And Disney has to justify the fact that they just plunk down 60 Billion to purchase Fox

So, making these will have guaranteed returns.

Dumbo was different from it's animation counterpart, and I liked

I like Jungle Book adaptation the best, so far.

This post has been edited by Mov_freak: May 24 2019, 09:04 AM
tonYe
post May 23 2019, 11:59 PM

Game Designer
1,455 posts

Wrong choice for director, writers and cast.

Next concerns: Lion King and Mulan.
defaultname365
post May 24 2019, 06:38 AM

Windows® 8.1 | Xbox 360™ | PlayStation® 4
1,097 posts

QUOTE(tonYe @ May 23 2019, 11:59 PM)

I'm banking on "Lion King" to be one of the best live action adaptations ever made 😁

Jon Favreau did a remarkable job with "The Jungle Book" and most of his works have always been of high praise.

TSMov_freak
post May 24 2019, 09:04 AM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

QUOTE(tonYe @ May 23 2019, 11:59 PM)

To each their own.
TSMov_freak
post May 24 2019, 09:05 AM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

QUOTE(defaultname365 @ May 24 2019, 06:38 AM)
I'm banking on "Lion King" to be one of the best live action adaptations ever made 😁

Jon Favreau did a remarkable job with "The Jungle Book" and most of his works have always been of high praise.
Don't jinx it, don't jinx it.... sweat.gif sweat.gif sweat.gif
kraziekd
post May 24 2019, 11:22 AM

Getting Started
117 posts

i didn't like the speechless song.. was kinda forced into the movie

overall ok
TSMov_freak
post May 24 2019, 12:00 PM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

QUOTE(kraziekd @ May 24 2019, 11:22 AM)
i didn't like the speechless song.. was kinda forced into the movie

overall ok
Yeah, that is new, Benj Pasek and Justin Paul were brought in for that. Menken supposedly had input.

If you read what I wrote about Disney making the new Disney Princesses more independent. So that song was meant to do THAT (along with the Hakim scene).

Abu the monkey looks familiar.

He is either the Monkey from Night at the Museum (2006) or the one from Outbreak (1995). Not sure how is they are the same monkey. Anyone here has any info on this?

Overall, I thought it was a good effort.

This post has been edited by Mov_freak: May 24 2019, 12:20 PM
tonYe
post May 24 2019, 12:44 PM

Game Designer
1,455 posts

Yeah so far only Jungle Book was good and improved from their original animation.

Lion King should be fine if it just remains faithful. Just hope the voice cast won't be as weak as the actors in Aladdin here.
geolee76
post May 24 2019, 11:33 PM

On my way
533 posts

Jon Favreau did a marvelous job for Iron man

Then act as Iron man friend in Avenger

LOL
masterelr
post May 26 2019, 12:01 AM

Enthusiast
987 posts

This turned out to better than expected. I pretty much approve all the changes and additions made such as the princess's new friend, Jafaar's backstory, and genie's plans after he was set free. The new song Speechless was pretty amazing too. There are still some things that can't match the animation such as the escape from the cave of wonders and well everything about the genie but it's all good.
Mikeshashimi
post May 26 2019, 12:12 AM

10 Years on LYN
4,051 posts

Overall okay, decent, better than expected.

BUT...

Jafar was a total miscast, Ben Kingsley would have been a better cast. Heck, even the guy cast as Hakim would be a better Jafar.

Songs wise, the original songs were good, the rest... meh~

And the whole feminism, girl power aspect was just too forced to be taken seriously.
make87
post May 26 2019, 12:25 AM

On my way
684 posts

I'm confuse about if this is an arabic or indian theme throughout the movie . . . . .

TSMov_freak
post May 26 2019, 09:49 AM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

QUOTE(make87 @ May 26 2019, 12:25 AM)
I'm confuse about if this is an arabic or indian theme throughout the movie . . . . .
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
TSMov_freak
post May 26 2019, 09:52 AM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

QUOTE(Mikeshashimi @ May 26 2019, 12:12 AM)
Overall okay, decent, better than expected.

BUT...

Jafar was a total miscast, Ben Kingsley would have been a better cast. Heck, even the guy cast as Hakim would be a better Jafar.

Songs wise, the original songs were good, the rest... meh~

And the whole feminism, girl power aspect was just too forced to be taken seriously.
I agreed with you at the beginning of the movie.

And at the end, his eyes.... They told a tale of "I will kill you" (a phrase I stole from Tim Burton, as he described Nicholas Cage for the role of Superman.... I kid you not), I got sold....
skylinelover
post May 26 2019, 01:28 PM

Future Crypto Player😄👊Driver Abamsado😎😎
All Stars
10,509 posts

Haha since BatB i dont buy anymore disney adaptations laugh.gif rclxub.gif
TSMov_freak
post May 26 2019, 04:57 PM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

QUOTE(skylinelover @ May 26 2019, 01:28 PM)
Haha since BatB i dont buy anymore disney adaptations laugh.gif rclxub.gif
Awwww... why.... you no like Emma Watson?
greyshadow
post May 27 2019, 09:43 AM

I bleed it out, Diggin' deeper just to throw it away!
1,826 posts

a decent political correct version of live action adaptation of the animation version
if the animation version was adapted 100%, sure it gonna caused lots of controversy by today's standard & tolerance tongue.gif

a very decent family movie as well, kids sure will enjoy it tremendously

Smith does a decent job as genie as well, it's very unfair to compare him with the late Robin Williams, it's like comparing apple with oranges, both are actually very different performance

The only miscast is Jafar, too young and not evil enough doh.gif

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0159sec    0.36    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:53 AM