Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Alcott Ascari road bikes?

views

TSBrandonwcm
post May 23 2019, 07:34 AM, updated 6 months ago

27 posts

I am a newbie when it comes to anything cycling related and was wondering how good are these Alcott branded bikes compared to other bikes. Any happy owner of such road bikes? I have tried to find testimonies or review of it (particularly the Alcott Ascari X) but failed to do so. I was thinking of getting one and Alcott brands from what I heard are cheap China OEM made brands that is on par with higher end bikes but at a cheaper price tag? Anyone can further give me a review or testimony? Thanks!
thefryingfox
post May 23 2019, 07:48 AM

Lonely Maharajah
4,746 posts

Bro most bikes are made in china. Many brands made by single supplier .

For me....I would give it a go if it's priced well. After all....good bike doesn't mean u are a good rider.....but good rider...can make the bike food....
gohzilla
post May 23 2019, 08:34 AM

Getting Started
113 posts

Not all actually.. U have Merida, Specialized, Gaint and so on from taiwan... China brand always give the best price to higher spec bike combination... But China do produce their own Pardus brand that sell at UCI level.... Alcott I believe just recently enter Malaysia market that why can't really find any testimonials yet..

But for newbie, the questions u have to ask urself are..
U want a more comfortable geometry bike frame or aggressive. Comfortable geometry can always setup to aggressive but not the other way round..
Budget, aluminium can be as light as carbon, my specialized Al frame just 1kg, merida scultura Cf2 frame 1kg too..
But it's best u drop by ur local bike shop, try and feel the bike...bike only help 20% go fast but the rest 80% are human effort to go faster.. .

This post has been edited by gohzilla: May 23 2019, 10:45 AM
SupermotoXL
post May 25 2019, 07:53 AM

Getting Started
180 posts

QUOTE(Brandonwcm @ May 23 2019, 07:34 AM)
I am a newbie when it comes to anything cycling related and was wondering how good are these Alcott branded bikes compared to other bikes. Any happy owner of such road bikes? I have tried to find testimonies or review of it (particularly the Alcott Ascari X) but failed to do so. I was thinking of getting one and Alcott brands from what I heard are cheap China OEM made brands that is on par with higher end bikes but at a cheaper price tag? Anyone can further give me a review or testimony? Thanks!
My friends who own a bike shop rides on Alcott road bike, so far he says its a good performance budget road bike frame on par with performance once as long the geometry is right for your body.
gck
post May 25 2019, 10:36 AM

36 posts

i second the needs of getting the geometry right. you gotta fell comfy on the bike. the rest of the frame technology i don't think it is very critical for beginner level.
RNM
post Jun 5 2019, 12:01 AM

Getting Started
147 posts

Alcott ascari x frame look sporty. Not sure it fall on which category.. Endurance? Climb? Aero?
gestuRE
post Sep 6 2019, 08:39 AM

15 posts

And how to know that the geometry will suits us well?
vinnyming
post Sep 8 2019, 03:56 PM

Getting Started
67 posts

QUOTE(gestuRE @ Sep 6 2019, 08:39 AM)
And how to know that the geometry will suits us well?
Usually the bike shop will do a general fitting by getting your height, inseam, arm length.
Then they'll recommend some bike sizes that may fit you.
Next it depends on your fitness level, and how flexible your body is.
More athletic, more flexible, meaning you can fit a more aggressive riding posture/position.

The most important thing is to make sure you are comfortable on the bike.
geno
post Sep 20 2019, 10:11 AM

45 posts

Try buying a used bike from bicyclebuysell.com, stick to good brands and well known models. It could be daunting for a newbie and u need to do your ground work surveying first.

The benefits of buying a used bike, if u decide to sell that bike for upgrade in the future, its way easier to sell.

Worst case scenario u calling it quits, u can also sell it at a lesser loss. Generally unknown china brands are fine, but you will have a hard time reselling them in the future.

davidletterboyz
post Sep 23 2019, 05:25 PM

Der Kaiser
4,335 posts

QUOTE(geno @ Sep 20 2019, 10:11 AM)
Try buying a used bike from bicyclebuysell.com, stick to good brands and well known models. It could be daunting for a newbie and u need to do your ground work surveying first.

The benefits of buying a used bike, if u decide to sell that bike for upgrade in the future, its way easier to sell.

Worst case scenario u calling it quits, u can also sell it at a lesser loss. Generally unknown china brands are fine, but you will have a hard time reselling them in the future.
IMHO, it's not recommended for a newbie to buy a used carbon bike. Should get someone with experience to test and carefully inspect it.

You're right about Chinese OEM brands' resale value.
vhs1
post Sep 24 2019, 01:22 AM

Regular
1,338 posts

You could check out other reputable brands entry level bikes, which have reasonable pricing.

Many shops are selling 2020 models now and you can have a look at previous gen of 2018, or 2019 models which are at a good bargain.

Alcott is a new brand here but from the photos I see their bikes are beautifully built too.

Sorry ya, Can't comment more about the quality and performance because my knowledge is still limited.

You could check out a few other brands and compare. Whether you want entry level types, intermediate or higher ends.

I'm still riding my entry level alu bike and entry level groupset till now. And very satisfied till today.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your ride. Cheers ☺️
geno
post Sep 27 2019, 10:32 AM

45 posts

QUOTE(davidletterboyz @ Sep 23 2019, 05:25 PM)
IMHO, it's not recommended for a newbie to buy a used carbon bike. Should get someone with experience to test and carefully inspect it.

You're right about Chinese OEM brands' resale value.
Yes not recommended for carbon but i guess its ok for use alu bike. e.g. used Caad 10/12, used spez allez etc
davidletterboyz
post Sep 27 2019, 10:36 AM

Der Kaiser
4,335 posts

QUOTE(geno @ Sep 27 2019, 10:32 AM)
Yes not recommended for carbon but i guess its ok for use alu bike. e.g. used Caad 10/12, used spez allez etc
But not too old models because alu material actually deteriorate over time.
geno
post Sep 27 2019, 04:29 PM

45 posts

QUOTE(davidletterboyz @ Sep 27 2019, 10:36 AM)
But not too old models because alu material actually deteriorate over time.
From my 26yrs experience riding and racing steel, alu and carbon. Never come across any that had deteriorated
davidletterboyz
post Sep 28 2019, 12:41 AM

Der Kaiser
4,335 posts

QUOTE(geno @ Sep 27 2019, 04:29 PM)
From my 26yrs experience riding and racing steel, alu and carbon. Never come across any that had deteriorated
The general rule of thumb is steel and carbon are not prone to corrosion but alu does. The corrosion could happen inside the frame where you can't see. But the lifespan duration varies greatly with the alloy type, welding techniques used, and also the environment. If you're interested, there's this paper here: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/23...lloy_bike_frame
The corrosion pics are at the last few pages.
freddy manson
post Sep 30 2019, 08:27 PM

ðñê hêll ð£ å gµ¥
4,359 posts

QUOTE(davidletterboyz @ Sep 28 2019, 12:41 AM)
The general rule of thumb is steel and carbon are not prone to corrosion but alu does. The corrosion could happen inside the frame where you can't see. But the lifespan duration varies greatly with the alloy type, welding techniques used, and also the environment. If you're interested, there's this paper here: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/23...lloy_bike_frame
this is a good info. thanks for sharing it

a safe bet is to buy (if going for 2nd hand), bikes that are 2 years or less
but dont know also if the bike has been sitting in the shop unsold for how long before that

for Alcott Ascari, i see that it is a good bike overall
good for riding and maybe not racing, but a good bike will help u train more and more
and riding always is good for health, ya
geno
post Oct 1 2019, 10:28 AM

45 posts

QUOTE(davidletterboyz @ Sep 28 2019, 12:41 AM)
Thanks for info bro

My thought for the matter to OP, if buying a used bike for the matter. Common sense prevails, i.e. dont buy an overly old model and stick to newer models and established brands. Read the reviews and do your due diligence on the frame. Otherwise better off for OP to buy a new bike, get a bike fit too while at it.

This post has been edited by geno: Oct 1 2019, 10:36 AM
davidletterboyz
post Oct 1 2019, 03:10 PM

Der Kaiser
4,335 posts

QUOTE(freddy manson @ Sep 30 2019, 08:27 PM)
this is a good info. thanks for sharing it

a safe bet is to buy (if going for 2nd hand), bikes that are 2 years or less
but dont know also if the bike has been sitting in the shop unsold for how long before that

for Alcott Ascari, i see that it is a good bike overall
good for riding and maybe not racing, but a good bike will help u train more and more
and riding always is good for health, ya
You're welcome. smile.gif

QUOTE(geno @ Oct 1 2019, 10:28 AM)
Thanks for info bro

My thought for the matter to OP, if buying a used bike for the matter. Common sense prevails, i.e. dont buy an overly old model and stick to newer models and established brands. Read the reviews and do your due diligence on the frame. Otherwise better off for OP to buy a new bike, get a bike fit too while at it.
You're right bro. Best to get a new bike if totally no idea what to buy and bike fitting.

Now haze has cleared away but it's been raining every day. sweat.gif

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0463sec    2.86    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 18th November 2019 - 06:43 PM