Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Used Corolla or Used Camry?

views

TSTYK
post May 22 2019, 02:42 PM, updated 5y ago

Enthusiast
992 posts

If you are in a situation to look for used Toyota sedans, and found out that used Corolla's price is about the same as used Camry's, for roughly the same year and mileage, which will you get? And why?

To be more specific, the used Corolla model is 1.8L E170 and used Camry model is 2.5L XV50.

This scenario is not in Malaysia, in case you are wondering.

cempedaklife
post May 22 2019, 05:02 PM

Master Decoy
4,017 posts

Different segment right? Depends on use case I guess. Corolla outlook nicer sportier/younger . Camry more uncle but bigger.

If family, Camry. If single, just married, or with one kid, don't want second one then corolla I guess.

Now if you ask me if same price, I will buy camry. Coz 2nd kid coming along.

Now headache coz dunno how to fit 2 child seat plus wife in my city. A bit reluctant to remove passenger airbag to put child seat
fong928
post May 22 2019, 05:27 PM

13 posts

QUOTE(TYK @ May 22 2019, 02:42 PM)
If you are in a situation to look for used Toyota sedans, and found out that used Corolla's price is about the same as used Camry's, for roughly the same year and mileage, which will you get? And why?

To be more specific, the used Corolla model is 1.8L E170 and used Camry model is 2.5L XV50.

Corolla 1.8L
- if you are single, no need to ferry family.
- smaller car & easy for parking
- maintainence fee is lesser than a camry, engine oil.....
- lower road tax
- save petrol for 1.8L vs 2.5L
- tyres might be smaller than camry, so, might be cheaper

camry
- for uncle & family, bigger space and comfort
- bigger car and look better, mature.
- nice to cruise in long distance.
- the feeling of driving a camry is different with corolla, it's a D segment car, big car compare to corolla
- 2500cc sure more powerfull than 1800cc

basically, both of them are ok, you wont make a wrong choice, unless you very care about car maintenance cost.

I would suggest to get a carmy if you are married with kids, of course, the maintenance cost is higher.
TSTYK
post May 22 2019, 08:11 PM

Enthusiast
992 posts

Thanks for all the inputs, my biggest concern with Camry is the fuel consumption rate of that big 2.5L engine.

If not mistaken, oil change for Camry is 1 year or 20,000 KM, so even if maintenance is higher it is still 1 time per year, but pumping petrol is a weekly affair. I wonder how much of an economical shock to me if I switch from my current 1.5L to 2.5L.

In overseas, they don't tax car owners based on the displacement, so it is down to how much you willing to pay for petrol.
Bjorn1688
post May 22 2019, 09:08 PM

Regular
1,924 posts

The Camry.
6UE5T
post May 22 2019, 09:26 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

Camry coz it's the better higher class car.
fireballs
post May 22 2019, 10:41 PM

5,627 posts

As for remaining kit, the 2.5V also gets four airbags (front and front side), while the 2.0 litre models have two. It also features 17-inch alloys and 215/55 series tyres, while both the 2.0 litre variants wear 16-inch ones, wrapped with 215/60 rubbers. Interestingly, there’s no VSC on call across the entire model range – it would have been expected that the 2.5V would have had it.
DS51
post May 22 2019, 11:26 PM

Casual
470 posts

QUOTE(TYK @ May 22 2019, 08:11 PM)
Thanks for all the inputs, my biggest concern with Camry is the fuel consumption rate of that big 2.5L engine.

If not mistaken, oil change for Camry is 1 year or 20,000 KM, so even if maintenance is higher it is still 1 time per year, but pumping petrol is a weekly affair. I wonder how much of an economical shock to me if I switch from my current 1.5L to 2.5L.

In overseas, they don't tax car owners based on the displacement, so it is down to how much you willing to pay for petrol.
Transition from 1.5 litre to 2.5 litre of course u feel pain a bit liao. I do it b4 transition from 1.5 to 2.4 litre. My 1.5 litre average 14.5km/L while my 2.4 average 10.5km/L based on my driving pattern semi aggresive style.

2.5 litre might be around 9km/L to 10km/L. And yeah, its fuel guzzler if u compare it to 1.5L. If u really worried about fc, cap ur car cc at max 2000cc. But u need to sacrifice power also. 2500cc power is huge difference compare to 1500cc, but u need to pay for performance gain.
fireballs
post May 22 2019, 11:34 PM

5,627 posts

You should be concerned if the car have VSC or not. The lack of VSC caused my friend to kill an innocent man
ceo684
post May 22 2019, 11:36 PM

Component Burner
All Stars
11,545 posts

Depends on how much acceleration work you need to do:
Amount of Right turns (UK driving) or Left Turns (US driving)
Merging into Hwy/traffic with very short filter lanes
Frequency of times you do Many lane changes in 200m (coming out from lane 4 filter but you need to turn off at lane 1)
Is your area full of slowpoke turtles and heavy vehicles, or generally cruisers
Do you like a more plush interior
Do you need the big boot space
Are you comfortable with parking a longer vehicle
Is your parking areas and frequently visited places large enough to accommodate a Camry or it's always gonna stick out/can't fit in the box

With these you should have a better idea whether you need a Camry

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0118sec    0.26    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:34 PM